Author Topic: Bike is back from BMW after engine swap  (Read 1832 times)

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
  • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
    • Homepage
Bike is back from BMW after engine swap
« on: 2014-04-07 10:26:35 »

Well as some of you might know – I did have some problems with the paint on the engine.
It started to bobble and peel off in some areas.

Not too much, but I was afraid that it would get worse after some time.

I was sending an email about it – together with some photos – and BMW agreed to fix it.

They could not give me direct answer on what they would like to do, but indicated an engine swap.

Well, when returned – I can see that they have changed the cylinders and the top, but the rest of the engine is the same one.

I also had an issue with the transmission- that it was jumping out of 4-5 gear – under heavy load.
And also here – BMW decided to fix it – and changed the gearbox.

The front suspension had a problem that it would sort of lock up and give weary little movement after some time of use – when warm outside.
Also was starting to make the common squeaking noise.

Also here BMW decided to fix the problem – and gave me a new front suspension.

As I have always mend – Getting a new bike from the very first batch – will always give some hiccups, but as long BMW is willing to take care
of me and the bike – and fix problems like this when it happens – I'm a happy customer.

So – I will be looking for a new BMW bike next time - despite of the problems I have had.

If BMW had turned me down – and not gave interest in fixing the bike – it would defently not have been a BMW next time.

MC-Oslo (The dealer) and BMW has giving me the best service I could think of –

And I'm a happy customer.
** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
    Re: Bike is back from BMW after engine swap
    « Reply #1 on: 2014-04-07 10:37:24 »
    Sounds like they have looked after you very well.  You are the first one to get a new front suspension that I have heard of. All the engine paint problems sorted in UK seem to have been fixed with a new short engine and a new cylinder head and cover but the valves and gears are swapped over. Bet yours is the same. Try the Exclusive next, the finish lookers bombproof. 

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
      « Reply #2 on: 2014-04-07 10:43:14 »
      Enjoy your "new" bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Just enjoy it!

OfflineComberjohn

• John's Driving School
      « Reply #3 on: 2015-01-04 23:54:17 »
      I have had my 2012 GT since the end of last May and have put another 8000 miles on it since then bringing it up to 16500.
      Have noticed some bubbling on the engine paint and the paint has lifted on a couple of very small areas.
      Had thought that the previous owner had maybe used it in salt and not cleaned it properly but reading this I'm now wondering how common is it?
      Like ST, I'm anxious that it gets a lot worse over the next year or so. Not going to do a lot for trade in values!
      I have the extended warranty and was wondering if I should push the issue when it goes for the 18000 mile service.
      Anyone else had the problem or is it a common one?
      Is it best to tackle the dealer or BMW directly on the issue?
      By the way, love the bike anyway.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
        « Reply #4 on: 2015-01-05 08:46:08 »
        If you try going directly to BMW UK they will only tell you to visit your dealer so that's the place to start.  If you look in your extended warranty book I suspect it excludes corrosion but you never know your luck.

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #5 on: 2015-01-05 16:17:03 »
          I had a short engine swap for corrosion.  Bike coming up to 3 years old now and I have the extended warranty.
          Found some paint bubble on frame near recess for mount on left side.  Dealer told me this wouldn't be covered under extended warranty - also  said the corrosion on engine would not have been covered on extended warranty.
          Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #6 on: 2015-04-18 09:09:09 »
            A bit late (as I haven't been very active here) but just read your story Steinar.
            Indeed, I agree that customer satisfaction is a combination of various elements. The service being one of them. You've been treated very well by your dealer and it's something I sense with mine as well. It makes all the difference. And if the dealership does a good job, no need to kick it up to the country level BMW office. Never had to do that. And also - knock on wood - didn't have too many issue so far with my bikes.

Geebee - K1600GT