Author Topic: iPhone link  (Read 2137 times)

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
    iPhone link
    « on: 2014-05-04 21:13:56 »
    Is there any progress yet in linking the Iphone5 to the bike audio system?
    I can link my old IPod via cable to the USB and the audio jack and all is well, and operates through the wonder wheel. Perfect.
    However my IPhone5 is inked via 2 separate cables. It will only run through an artist or album and then stops. The wonder wheel has no impact at all. To move on I have to stop and get the phone out of the cubby hole and select the next album!
    Anyone got a better solution.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just enjoy it!

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: iPhone link
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-05-04 21:41:38 »
      I just plug in a flash card and forget it.  Full control through the wheel, no extra cables and all for £10.

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-04 22:54:00 »
        Flash card?  Explain how please!  Cannot get an iPod to work
        Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlinejrsound

« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-05 06:04:58 »
          I think RTman means he plugs a USB memory stick into the port. It works fine, but is still a bit clunky.
          Don't want touch track/artist/genre info though. I'd rather be concentrating on the road!

OfflineTony23

« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-05 06:08:22 »
            USB memory stick for me.

16gb for £8  , put all your tunes (in mp3 format) onto the stick, I simply load mine as seperate albums into folders. Select usb as your output on the bike and evrything works though the wheel on left bar. You can make playlists by creating a new folder, give it a name and then copy and paste individual tracks into that folder using windows explorer.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
              « Reply #5 on: 2014-05-05 08:18:24 »
              As Tony says, Load stick in MP3 format, I use windows media player. The bike will let you play them as albums or random whatever you want. One dab on the wheel right if you want a change before the track ends or one to the left to play again.  Don't understand clunky. System just goes from one track to the next. You get full info on the dash of the track playing but you dont need to look at it.
              « Last Edit: 2014-05-05 08:23:53 by RTman10 »

OfflineDasBoot

« Reply #6 on: 2014-05-05 10:05:35 »
                I also use a USB memory stick, I had too many dramas with the IPod & cable.

Offlinetkljr

« Reply #7 on: 2014-05-07 02:50:51 »
                  Is there any progress yet in linking the Iphone5 to the bike audio system?
                  I can link my old IPod via cable to the USB and the audio jack and all is well, and operates through the wonder wheel. Perfect.
                  However my IPhone5 is inked via 2 separate cables. It will only run through an artist or album and then stops. The wonder wheel has no impact at all. To move on I have to stop and get the phone out of the cubby hole and select the next album!
                  Anyone got a better solution.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question but I have no problem utilizing the wonder wheel to select artists/playlists/etc with my iPhone 5. I use the "BMW" cable with a short adapter cable to convert the "old" Apple connection to a lightning connector. It all fits in the compartment fairly well (with the foam insert removed).

Tom
                  Tom '13 K1600GT

Offlinebuzglyd

« Reply #8 on: 2014-05-09 17:50:52 »
                    The cable is finicky and I am using the USB stick method but that only works for songs you have downloaded onto the phone.

If you want to use a streaming service you might want to try something else.

JM Audio makes a dongle that goes into the audio system and allows the phone to connect to the bike via Bluetooth. You can then stream audio from your phone to the bike and then from your bike out the fairing speakers or up to your helmet.

I haven't installed one of these yet but JM products have worked pretty well for me in the past and I don't see any reason why this wouldn't. This is pretty common for cars.

anything