Author Topic: Bad Battery  (Read 1667 times)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
    Bad Battery
    « on: 2014-05-15 17:59:13 »
    My Exclusive is now just over 2 months old showing only 1050 miles.  When it had its first service at 600 miles all was well. Due to bad weather it spent 2 weeks in the shed after its service. Bike started normally after the short lay up but when I stopped to fill up it was very reluctant to fire up with the starter motor turning slowly. On the second press of the button all seemed well . I rode home via my dealer where the bike refused to miss  behave.  However when I connected a battery charger it was obvious it was low.  I charged it overnight and for the last 450 miles all's been well. 2 days ago I again charged he battery overnight and went for a 30 mile ride stopping at the same garage for fuel. On restarting again the starter only just managed to turn the engine over.  This morning its been examined by my dealer.  No fault found with the starter, no faults showed up when it was plugged in and there was no drain on the battery after shut down. They have fitted  new battery and It was immediately obvious the original battery wasn't up the job.  Morale of the story, not all new batteries are good batteries.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Bad Battery
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-05-15 18:15:11 »
      There's always the chance for the occasional bad battery. Everybody hopes they don't get one themself. I assume it was a warranty job.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-15 18:16:27 »
        Definitely warranty.

OfflineJim

« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-15 23:29:27 »
          Sorry to hear that your battery was playing up but good news its been replaced and all is well again. Mine has developed a very stiff starter switch, so stiff it feels as if its about to break, when you push to start it feels solid so you really need to push hard it gives a loud click and makes contact and starts the bike. Will need to go to dealer and see what they have to say about this, I assume they will say no problem with it as its still working. may nrrd to wait on it packing in before anything gets done about it. That would be a new water pump and Right hand switch cluster :(
          2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-16 08:24:24 »
            Sorry to hear that your battery was playing up but good news its been replaced and all is well again. Mine has developed a very stiff starter switch, so stiff it feels as if its about to break, when you push to start it feels solid so you really need to push hard it gives a loud click and makes contact and starts the bike. Will need to go to dealer and see what they have to say about this, I assume they will say no problem with it as its still working. may nrrd to wait on it packing in before anything gets done about it. That would be a new water pump and Right hand switch cluster :(
            My suggestion would be to lead the Service Manager to another bike and invite him to assure you that your switch is the same.  Swap time for the right hand switch is about 5 minutes.
            « Last Edit: 2014-05-16 10:05:20 by RTman10 »