Author Topic: GTL Exclusive model questions  (Read 6667 times)

OfflineVic

GTL Exclusive model questions
    « on: 2014-05-28 16:13:01 »
    My previous K1600GT was a 2011 model.  I couldn't get the hang of the very sensitive but delayed action ride by wire, and I didn't like the sloppy transmission lag, clunky driveshaft, terrible gearbox, misting headlights and dash, and the seat was too high so I couldn't place both feet flat on the ground.  After a lot of trying, I managed to sell that bike but lost a lot, no dealers even wanted it at any price and I found out that BMWs depreciate very quickly. 

For the replacement I wanted a lowdown bike with which I could place both feet on the floor so after looking around I bought an Harley Davidson Heritage Softail.  An excellent bike and a real surprise for me of just what a v-twin is capable of.  I never expected an Harley to be so good and as advanced. They are comfortable, easy to ride, lovely smooth gearbox and drive belt, they're just very well made cruisers. They even have really good alarm/immobiliser and it's all keyless, it all works great. The problem is all the chrome cleaning gets to be a bind after a while and the vibrrrationsss and wind buffeting start getting too much over 70 mph on long journeys.  I found I was missing the K1600, but not be problems associated with it.   So I started to look around for a replacement, but nothing has the styling that appeals to me as much as the K16.   I even considered a goldwing, they're supposed to be excellent but they just remind me too much of a 2 wheeled lazyboy.  Sorry if this offends anyone, it's just how I see them.

Anyway, during my search I now discover that BMW have apparently cured most (if not all) of the things I didn't like with my K16 and I can go for a GTL which has a lower seat height than my previous GT, I can even have keyless ignition etc just like the Harley and have it in my favourite colour White if I go for the exclusive model.  So it seems I've come full circle, back to BMW again.

This leads me to some questions for owners of the Exclusive model..

Radio Antenna/top box removal
    On K16 Exclusive the radio aerial is in the top box.  I assume this disconnects when the top box is removed and the wiring unplugged from the connector. Is it possible to relocate this aerial?  I ask because I usually ride alone and always with just panniers, I don't like top box on unless going on a journey. So if the aerial can't be relocated this means the radio will not work unless the top box is fitted.  Would have been better if they fitted the aerial under the seat tail piece.  Also, are the arm rests fitted to the top box or the frame. If not fitted to the top box, how easy are they to remove?

Seat
    Dealers don't have any Exclusive models to demo.. How high is the seat compared to a standard GTL and is the rider seat more comfortable than a standard GTL?

Keyless Ride
    With my previous K16 (2011 model) I had to re-synchronise the key-fob  to the bike because it just stopped working for no apparent reason.  This happened twice.  I understand that the Exclusive also locks the steering by keyless, this could be quite a problem if it fails.  Does it have any form of override facility if the keyless ride should fail?

Paint quality
    On my previous K16 the paint wasn't too good so the dealer recommended 3M venture shield be fitted.  I was pleased I paid the extra £300+ for venture-shield because the paint on the pannier lids would have been scuffed otherwise.  I've read that the paint is now much better on this model. Does it still require venture shield?

Lighting
    My previous bike had adaptive headlight and 2 halogen high beams surrounded by owl eye light rings. It also had 2 LED auxiliary spotlights.  I always felt like the owl eyes were useless, just a gimmick, they'd be much better if they were made very bright high intensity DRLs like on some BMW cars.  What are these new automatic Daytime Running Lights which I now see mentioned? My K16 never had them.

Misc Problems
    Can you confirm that the problems with the earlier 1st generation K1600s have indeed been fixed? Such as the faulty water pumps, clunky gearboxes, dodgy switchgear, drive lash, too sensitive ride by wire throttle, etc.

Finally, do BMW now offer extended warranty?  When I bought my previous K1600 in 2011 I was never offered it, but with all this technology, I think it's probably needed now.

Vic

Sent via Tapatalk HD
    ---

OfflineWildones

Re: GTL Exclusive model questions
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-05-28 17:49:50 »
      Vic, I have a new GTLE - not an exclusive but a good pal has one. I can answer some of your points and others can fill in the gaps.

Seat height on GTL and exclusive seem the same. It's only the material used that differs

Paint is different colour but same technology therefore will scratch just the same. Suggest protect again with 3M plastic film

Lights seem same to me. Halos which I agree are useless. Adaptive main light and two daytime lights mounted on engine bars.

The main differences on Exclusive ar cosmetic so engine, gearbox act are the same as all new 1600's. Yes is it keyless, has hill start and different backrest etc but main mechanics are the same

As for problems - have they all gone away?  Sorry no in my experience. My bike had no clunks for first 900 miles but now it clunks when changing gear and it back at dealers next week. The dealers demo bike apparently clunks now it has done 1500 miles

Mt bike has now done 2600 miles. Like you I love the bike to ride but there are still issues with these bikes. Console yourself maybe like I did that it's under warranty. And yes you can buy extended warrantys easily when main one runs out but it's not as comprehensive so be careful. It costs about £350 a year

Hope above helps. It's an awesome bike but one that sadly still has some silly issues

OfflineShinyface

• Enjoy retirement because it will last a while.....
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-05-28 19:17:12 »
        Good to see you back in the fold Vic, enjoy your new stead.  :)

Shinyface  ;)

My previous K1600GT was a 2011 model.  I couldn't get the hang of the very sensitive but delayed action ride by wire, and I didn't like the sloppy transmission lag, clunky driveshaft, terrible gearbox, misting headlights and dash, and the seat was too high so I couldn't place both feet flat on the ground.  After a lot of trying, I managed to sell that bike but lost a lot, no dealers even wanted it at any price and I found out that BMWs depreciate very quickly. 

For the replacement I wanted a lowdown bike with which I could place both feet on the floor so after looking around I bought an Harley Davidson Heritage Softail.  An excellent bike and a real surprise for me of just what a v-twin is capable of.  I never expected an Harley to be so good and as advanced. They are comfortable, easy to ride, lovely smooth gearbox and drive belt, they're just very well made cruisers. They even have really good alarm/immobiliser and it's all keyless, it all works great. The problem is all the chrome cleaning gets to be a bind after a while and the vibrrrationsss and wind buffeting start getting too much over 70 mph on long journeys.  I found I was missing the K1600, but not be problems associated with it.   So I started to look around for a replacement, but nothing has the styling that appeals to me as much as the K16.   I even considered a goldwing, they're supposed to be excellent but they just remind me too much of a 2 wheeled lazyboy.  Sorry if this offends anyone, it's just how I see them.

Anyway, during my search I now discover that BMW have apparently cured most (if not all) of the things I didn't like with my K16 and I can go for a GTL which has a lower seat height than my previous GT, I can even have keyless ignition etc just like the Harley and have it in my favourite colour White if I go for the exclusive model.  So it seems I've come full circle, back to BMW again.

This leads me to some questions for owners of the Exclusive model..

Radio Antenna/top box removal
        On K16 Exclusive the radio aerial is in the top box.  I assume this disconnects when the top box is removed and the wiring unplugged from the connector. Is it possible to relocate this aerial?  I ask because I usually ride alone and always with just panniers, I don't like top box on unless going on a journey. So if the aerial can't be relocated this means the radio will not work unless the top box is fitted.  Would have been better if they fitted the aerial under the seat tail piece.  Also, are the arm rests fitted to the top box or the frame. If not fitted to the top box, how easy are they to remove?

Seat
        Dealers don't have any Exclusive models to demo.. How high is the seat compared to a standard GTL and is the rider seat more comfortable than a standard GTL?

Keyless Ride
        With my previous K16 (2011 model) I had to re-synchronise the key-fob  to the bike because it just stopped working for no apparent reason.  This happened twice.  I understand that the Exclusive also locks the steering by keyless, this could be quite a problem if it fails.  Does it have any form of override facility if the keyless ride should fail?

Paint quality
        On my previous K16 the paint wasn't too good so the dealer recommended 3M venture shield be fitted.  I was pleased I paid the extra £300+ for venture-shield because the paint on the pannier lids would have been scuffed otherwise.  I've read that the paint is now much better on this model. Does it still require venture shield?

Lighting
        My previous bike had adaptive headlight and 2 halogen high beams surrounded by owl eye light rings. It also had 2 LED auxiliary spotlights.  I always felt like the owl eyes were useless, just a gimmick, they'd be much better if they were made very bright high intensity DRLs like on some BMW cars.  What are these new automatic Daytime Running Lights which I now see mentioned? My K16 never had them.

Misc Problems
        Can you confirm that the problems with the earlier 1st generation K1600s have indeed been fixed? Such as the faulty water pumps, clunky gearboxes, dodgy switchgear, drive lash, too sensitive ride by wire throttle, etc.

Finally, do BMW now offer extended warranty?  When I bought my previous K1600 in 2011 I was never offered it, but with all this technology, I think it's probably needed now.

Vic

Sent via Tapatalk HD

OfflineJim

« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-28 19:57:45 »
          Radio antenna/top box removal
          Box is removed in the same way with the addition of having to unplug the antenna cable, it's possible to reposition the antenna but you would need to watch for noise from the electronics. The arm rests are fixed to the bike not the box & are not made to be removed when the box comes off. Not a problem for me as I never ride without all 3 bags fitted.

Seat

Seat is for the rider much the same as the GTL but the pillion seat is bigger & a little higher.

Keyless ignition

This is wonderfully IMO, the steering lock works by pressing the start stop button & does not go on automatically so no problem.

Paint

Seems to be a better finish but will still require paint protection.

Lighting

The owl lights are now Daylight running lights & are very bright, the only other difference is the dip light has a auto function switching it's self on in dim light conditions.

Problems

Can only speak for what has been going on with my Exclusive so far.
          Have just done shy of 600 mile so far & have had a new water pump due to the original leaking, the lash from the drive is so much better than my 2011 GTLE but after getting the first service done it has more clack than previous, switchgear on mine so far seems ok although the red start switch can be very stiff. Now of one that has had a new right hand cluster replaced as the engine cut out after switching the central locking from the switch on that cluster ( Same as what happened on my 2011).

Extended warranty

Can be purchased at any time, sure it was around £400 per year & can be paid monthly by direct debit if you wish & canceled at any time.

Hope this helps.
          2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineWildones

« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-28 20:37:56 »
            Jim, your comments interesting. Not questioning what you said about halo lights on your bike but wondering if they vary. My pals exclusive does not have brighter halo ( angel eyes ) they are the same. You're right about pillion being slightly higher. Paintwork is just the same quality out of same factory process. Interesting that your bike a bit clunkier now it's run in.

OfflineWildones

« Reply #5 on: 2014-05-28 20:44:42 »
              Extended warranty

Cost for a 2011 bike with no excess was quoted to me as £350 not £400. Didn't proceed as bought new bike.

It's BMW assured services! the insurance arm of BMW. It's a good policy but does not cover as much as original policy with new bike. Think you can cover a bike upto about 90000 miles. You cannot get an exact price until they contact you when up,for renewal. In my opinion it would be foolish for anyone to keep a bike such as this without having some warranty on it as even a very basic repair is mega bucks with labour at £90 per hour plus expensive parts

OfflineJim

« Reply #6 on: 2014-05-29 12:49:21 »
                The halo lights are only bright when the dip beam is off as soon as the headlight switches it's self on or you switch them on the halo lights dim. If you go into the menu you will find Daytime running lights & you can switch off or on, also when on auto can still be switched from the bar switch, the dash shows a DRL light which goes out when dip headlight is on.
                2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                  « Reply #7 on: 2014-05-30 16:26:49 »
                  Just got back from a Germany tour on my Exclusive.  We didn't do huge miles, just over 1500 in the week. Bike behaved as it should averaged 48mpg fully loaded and 2 up. Covering some of the points Jim has already the lights are far better than any other 1600. I had no problem clearing a gap through heavy near standing traffic around Brussels yesterday.  Drive chain is a great improvement over earlier models but as Jim points out not  totally silent.  Then again what do you expect from something built like a tank that goes like a cruise missile.  I can confirm the seat is the same height front and back but much wider at the back.  As for removing the top box and probably the arm rests. That's £1500 worth sat in the garage. Suggest you buy a bike without them in the first place     
                  « Last Edit: 2014-05-30 23:07:54 by RTman10 »

OfflineVic

« Reply #8 on: 2014-05-31 13:43:28 »
                    Thanks to everyone for the information, much appreciated. From what you say it seems that BMW have tried to put right the faults with the earlier model, but some problems still exist. Although nothing major, and nothing that can't be fixed. 

It seems that a warranty is essential on this bike as is having a good dealer. 

Some people on a Goldwing forum advise not to buy the K16 because of very high maintenance costs and unreliability. I don't know if they've actually tried a K16 or just repeating what they've heard.  I found this to be the case with people who call Harley-Davidson.  Until I tried one I was believing all the rubbish about them. Harley-Davidson have now actually got quite a few advanced features compared to others. 

One thing I see mentioned a lot is how uncomfortable the seat on a GTL is.  My previous K16 was a GT so I can't comment on this.  Is the seat lower on a GTL because it has less padding than the GT seat?

Great news about the owl eyes rings actually working as they should. I emailed BMW requesting this very feature years ago. 

Regarding removing the top box and leaving it in the garage. This is exactly what I did with my GT. I paid extra for the box, I even had the inner liner and document wallet fastened in the lid. but it still spent most of its time on the shelf.  As I said, only needed on trips away. For normal daily use I don't want the top box, but I do need it for journeys. Why would I buy a bike without a top box when I need one for trips. I'm not bothered about it costing £1500 and sitting in the garage.  Although I would prefer if it didn't come with the arm rests and the oversized backrest which makes it look like a baby seat.  The box BMW supplied on my GT was great, just a small backrest, nothing over the the top but all that's needed. Really neat with a brake light too. Just about perfect and it didn't make the bike look out of proportion.

Vic

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk
                    ---

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #9 on: 2014-05-31 19:00:06 »
                      Thanks to everyone for the information, much appreciated. From what you say it seems that BMW have tried to put right the faults with the earlier model, but some problems still exist. Although nothing major, and nothing that can't be fixed. 

It seems that a warranty is essential on this bike as is having a good dealer. 

Some people on a Goldwing forum advise not to buy the K16 because of very high maintenance costs and unreliability. I don't know if they've actually tried a K16 or just repeating what they've heard.  I found this to be the case with people who call Harley-Davidson.  Until I tried one I was believing all the rubbish about them. Harley-Davidson have now actually got quite a few advanced features compared to others. 

One thing I see mentioned a lot is how uncomfortable the seat on a GTL is.  My previous K16 was a GT so I can't comment on this.  Is the seat lower on a GTL because it has less padding than the GT seat?

Great news about the owl eyes rings actually working as they should. I emailed BMW requesting this very feature years ago. 

Regarding removing the top box and leaving it in the garage. This is exactly what I did with my GT. I paid extra for the box, I even had the inner liner and document wallet fastened in the lid. but it still spent most of its time on the shelf.  As I said, only needed on trips away. For normal daily use I don't want the top box, but I do need it for journeys. Why would I buy a bike without a top box when I need one for trips. I'm not bothered about it costing £1500 and sitting in the garage.  Although I would prefer if it didn't come with the arm rests and the oversized backrest which makes it look like a baby seat.  The box BMW supplied on my GT was great, just a small backrest, nothing over the the top but all that's needed. Really neat with a brake light too. Just about perfect and it didn't make the bike look out of proportion.

Vic
                      The seat on the GTL as you know is a totally different design to the GT. Its lower being 750 or 760 mm.  The Exclusive seat as well as being a different colour is a different materiel and is very comfortable allowing 300 mile plus trips with no discomfort. As for removal. Top box no problem, arm rests, that's another story.   

OfflineVic

« Reply #10 on: 2014-06-01 01:03:20 »
                        I've read in another topic that the arm rests are bolted to the bike and removing them would leave holes under the carrier rack. 

Would you say these holes are very noticeable? Could rubber grommets/plugs be used to block them?

---

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #11 on: 2014-06-01 08:22:29 »
                          You would be left with two holes each side both about 1 inch long. As they are both under the grab handle they are not all that obvious. Finding a grommet to block them would be a challenge as they are oval.

OfflineVic

« Reply #12 on: 2014-06-01 14:41:45 »
                            Have you seen any pictures anywhere showing the bike with top box removed?  If so, could you please give me the URL. 

Would it be possible for you to take pictures of the rear of your bike showing the arm rest mounting points etc.

---

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                              « Reply #13 on: 2014-06-01 15:31:48 »
                              There is an American on another K1600 forum who modified his armrests so that they are removable with a single bolt on each side. This requires cutting, welding and (re)painting the metal parts.
                              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineVic

« Reply #14 on: 2014-06-02 02:30:07 »
                                Sounds like the guy in America has gone to a lot of trouble, I don't want to go to those extremes. I'm sure if a guy on his own can achieve it that BMW could have made the arm rests removable.  I can't believe the BMW designers couldn't figure out how to do it. They either completely overlooked the armrests removal or they designed it this way assuming nobody would want to ride without the topbox etc.  But then make the topbox removable?  People are asking for ability to remove arm rests and even modifying their bikes accordingly, so it's obvious BMW assumed wrong.  I wonder if they'll do a recall or supply a kit to modify the arm rest fitting... Probably not.

---