Author Topic: BMW Motorrad Dealerships  (Read 11119 times)

OfflineVic

BMW Motorrad Dealerships
    « on: 2014-05-31 14:23:28 »
    I've been wondering if I should use my local dealer or travel further afield to another dealer.  I don't know how my dealer rates compared to others.  Especially if I've never dealt with any other.  My local dealer could be very good or bad but I wouldn't know until after I'd spent my money and bought a bike.   

This started me thinking it would be useful for people to know who are the best dealers, and who better to answer this question than the actual owners and their experiences with their dealers. So I thought a poll would be interesting and very informative.
    ---

OfflineDick38

Re: BMW Motorrad Dealerships
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-05-31 14:57:15 »
      After you've voted in your poll how does anyone know which dealer you're referring to?
      dick38

Offlinesevenup

« Reply #2 on: 2014-05-31 15:12:05 »
        after years of satisfactorily using 1 company to buy and have my bikes serviced I got fed up with shockingly poor service and moved to a dealer a good distance away. the new dealer is fine. I turn up, get my bike serviced and go away again. would I spend additional money with them? probably not. its such an unemotional experience and its a near 200 mile round trip.
        Economics - invented to make astrology look good #indyref #YES2014

OfflineVic

« Reply #3 on: 2014-05-31 16:07:56 »

After you've voted in your poll how does anyone know which dealer you're referring to?
          Ah, I didn't think of that.  Good point.  Better rethink this one. 

I've never setup a poll before, you can probably tell. Is there anyone here with more experience of this sort of thing who could maybe setup a poll or explain how it's done?  Unless just have it as a topic instead of a poll.

For now there's no point in voting.  I'm such a dumbass!

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk
          ---

OfflineVic

« Reply #4 on: 2014-05-31 16:20:57 »
            after years of satisfactorily using 1 company to buy and have my bikes serviced I got fed up with shockingly poor service and moved to a dealer a good distance away. the new dealer is fine. I turn up, get my bike serviced and go away again. would I spend additional money with them? probably not. its such an unemotional experience and its a near 200 mile round trip.

That's the sort of thing I was thinking about.  My nearest dealer is Manchester. I don't know how they rate against other dealers.  How do people rate them?  I would just like a bit more info before spending over twenty grand with them.   Others must feel the same.  You know the sort of thing, you buy a bike and then someone comes along and says "oh you shouldn't have bought from them, I've dealt with them before they're not very good, should have gone that bit further to XYZ who are much better".  Sort of like the trustatrader and checkatrade that are advertised for tradesmen, so you know you're getting a recommended person.  If you understand what I mean.

« Last Edit: 2014-05-31 16:27:44 by Vic »
            ---

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2014-05-31 20:30:06 »
              I have the luxury to live within 20 miles of three official dealers; one to the northwest, one to the northeast and one to the south. Only had 2 visits to the dealer until now  (one for servicing and one for the free sw update) and the second one will be in June. So far no complaints, although the rates are pretty stiff.
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlineterry

« Reply #6 on: 2014-06-01 07:16:19 »
                I use Southport Superbikes and now on my 3rd GTL with them. Wouldn't use anyone else unless out of the country. Major good people, nothings too much trouble, they like a chat, bags of coffee & biscuits and not as expensive as most of the dealers I've checked on. No I'm not on commission.
                Past: Triumh Rocket tourer 2300. K1600 GTL blue. Present: Honda Pan European ST1300, K1600 GTL silver.

OfflineVic

« Reply #7 on: 2014-06-01 13:45:50 »
                  I visited Southport Superbikes a few months ago. It wasn't what I was expecting and not the typical BMW big flashy showroom.  I actually went past it the first time not realising it was such a tiny place.  They had no parking and I couldn't find anywhere to park on the street, ended up just running on the pavement outside the shop. 

I wanted to look at helmets, but as soon as I walked in a guy who was sat at a desk came over to me, asking what I wanted. He walked me over to the helmets and stood by me all the time whilst I looked. He didn't offer any help or advice at all, he just asked what bike I have currently and how old is it. Don't know what this has to do with anything. I asked if he had other sizes available but he said he didn't think so.  He then asked did I want anything else or was that all I wanted.  I decided to leave. I felt like a fly being cornered by a spider. I got the impression he just wanted to sell me a bike but lost interest when I only wanted accessories.

My first impression of them was not good.  Maybe I misjudged them.  I think I shall give them another try.

---

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #8 on: 2014-06-03 13:06:27 »
                    I use Astles at Laceby near Grimsby.

They are excellent and have never disappointed me.

I had fantastic service at point of sale/deal and then all after service and any warranty work has been superb.

Bit of a trek for you but they are excellent
                    Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineJim

« Reply #9 on: 2014-06-03 15:48:21 »
                      Used Mottorad central and found them to be excellent, now Douglas Park Motorrad is open I have been using them, in fact I purchased my Exclusive from them. So far have no beef with them, have other than the purchase had a 600 mile service and a new water pump fitted by them. Will keep using them as it is a lot handier for me. Time will tell but so far so good
                      2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                        « Reply #10 on: 2014-06-03 17:15:04 »
                        Bought all nine of my BMWs from Roy Pidcock BMW in Long Eaton. They are only 1 mile from home so were an obvious choice.  Never had a problem with them.  They always have a good selection of BMW clothing available. They run very good value tours to Europe each year and normally one to Scotland in early autumn.   

OfflineWildones

« Reply #11 on: 2014-06-03 21:34:54 »
                          Vic, in part you've probably answered your own question. As you've found out one person on forum rates a dealer in Stockport but you didn't . Fact is that it's not as simple as we would all like. Within any dealership there are several people and whereas the culture of most staff may be good there are often individuals who are not so good. From my experience I would say don't be out off by your first visit, go again BUT see and talk to a different person and then make your judgement.

My initial experience with dealer in Shipley was bad, real bad and I said I'd never go again. I was looking for my first BMW but was determined I wouldn't get it from them. I ended up buying used bike privately and because it had a fault under warranty I took it to them for my convenience. The service department were also off putting but I persevered and during several visits had the opportunity to talk to the owner. I told them I found some of the staff most unfriendly and some of them very abrupt to deal with.

A week,or so,later my bike still had a problem and I lost confidence in it. I visited another dealer who was much friendlier and I expected to buy a brand new bike from them. However on yet another visit to local one I got talking to a sales guy who's whole approach was professional just like the dealer owner so we talked further. My confidence in them returned some so I asked them for a deal on a new bike . They came up with a really good deal and big discount on a 2014 GTLE ( not exclusive ). Deal,was way better than friendlier place so I bought from them

Sod's law but I've a problem with new bike BUT the staff are so much nicer to deal with now so overall am pleased with them. If you plan to buy a brand new bike get the best price you can and if needs be you can still have it serviced locally.

If you need any help to get a good deal, pm me

Hope this helps Ian

OfflineVic

BMW Motorrad Dealerships
                            « Reply #12 on: 2014-06-05 13:27:22 »
                            I've always been under the impression that if I had servicing done at the same dealer I bought from I would get treated better.  I know from past experience that when buying a bike the dealer offers a discount on parts, accessories and servicing.   Is it correct that the 600 mile service must be done by the supplying dealer?

When I bought my daughter a new car I saved £1000 and got zero rate interest free credit by going to a dealer some way off. The local dealer would not match this deal. When it developed a problem she took it to local dealership for repair. They asked where she bought it from, then said they couldn't look at it for 2 weeks as they had a lot of their own customers jobs in, maybe it would be quicker if she took it back where she bought it from.   This is exactly the sort of thing I mean.

« Last Edit: 2014-06-05 13:29:28 by Vic »
                            ---

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #13 on: 2014-06-06 00:20:38 »
                              You can't really blame a dealer for prioritizing someone who bought from them.

Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned