Author Topic: Cost of valve service in UK?  (Read 3471 times)

OfflineVic

Cost of valve service in UK?
    « on: 2014-06-04 15:29:29 »
    As per subject, what is the cost of the valve service in UK. I think it's at 18000 miles and the most expensive service.

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk
    ---

OfflineDick38

Re: Cost of valve service in UK?
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-06-04 17:11:49 »
      C. £400 and then it's back to regular service costs until 36,000 mls
      dick38

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-06-04 17:50:39 »
        That's not bad. I paid even more for my 1200 miles service over here.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineVic

« Reply #3 on: 2014-06-05 12:38:35 »
          Yes, that's quite reasonable for BMW.  Much better than I expected. 

I read on one of the Goldwing forums that the 18000 mile service on a K16 is extortionate and one of the main reasons not to buy a K16.  They said half the bike has to be stripped down just to get to the valves, it's all very labour intensive and the cost of this service makes K16 ownership prohibitive and out of reach of many people. They had me worried, I had visions of this service costing up to a grand.  I'm quite relieved that's the expensive service and then they reduce again. If there's as much work involved as I read about, that price is not bad for a main dealer.

All I can think is that Goldwing servicing must be very cheap in order for them to rant on so much about the cost of BMW servicing.

---

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2014-06-05 12:48:46 »
            Sorry. Typo, should be 12000 miles rather than 1200  ;D.
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #5 on: 2014-06-06 00:39:14 »
              My 18k service was about £380.

Similar service on my previous bike (1400GTR) was over £400.

Regular service on the K16 isn't too bad as everything is easy to get to!
              Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2014-06-28 16:46:29 »
                Just had the 30000 km (18000 mile) service done. Total cost € 860. That's about £ 690.  :o

OfflineBob S

« Reply #7 on: 2014-06-29 02:06:45 »
                  Yes, that's quite reasonable for BMW.  Much better than I expected. 

I read on one of the Goldwing forums that the 18000 mile service on a K16 is extortionate and one of the main reasons not to buy a K16.  They said half the bike has to be stripped down just to get to the valves, it's all very labour intensive and the cost of this service makes K16 ownership prohibitive and out of reach of many people. They had me worried, I had visions of this service costing up to a grand.  I'm quite relieved that's the expensive service and then they reduce again. If there's as much work involved as I read about, that price is not bad for a main dealer.

All I can think is that Goldwing servicing must be very cheap in order for them to rant on so much about the cost of BMW servicing.

It just goes to show how uninformed some people are. The 6 k service is minimal on the k1600 and is effectively an oil and filter change and general checkover. The 12k adds changing the final drive oil and the air filter with the 18k being the biggie. Compare the cost of servicing the K with other bikes such as a Ducati Multistrada or the VFR800 with the vtech valve system and you will be surprised. On another forum the time quoted for the valve check is 2.8 hours, so with the other bits and pieces the whole service shouldn't take more than 4 hours labour.
                  2012 K1600GT-SE

anything