Author Topic: Fuel system check  (Read 1287 times)

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
    Fuel system check
    « on: 2014-06-24 10:15:45 »
    Just dropped the bike off at the dealer for the 30000 km (18000 mi) service. They said they'd give the fuel system an extra check. Nothing serious; no recall necessary; just a check they perform when the bike comes in for a service. Anyone heard of this?
    Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Fuel system check
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-06-24 11:00:33 »
      Nope.  And the cost will be?

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #2 on: 2014-06-24 11:19:20 »
        Yes.  Just a check at service time.
        There have been a couple of fuel pumps worldwide that have had a slight weep.
        The effected model owners will get a letter from BMW explaining it will be checked at service time and it is not a safety recall.
        Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2014-06-24 12:25:57 »
          Nope.  And the cost will be?
          I assume the cost of this check will be nothing. They have to take the bike apart for the 30000 km service anyway.
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2014-06-24 12:28:03 »
            Yes.  Just a check at service time.
            There have been a couple of fuel pumps worldwide that have had a slight weep.
            The effected model owners will get a letter from BMW explaining it will be checked at service time and it is not a safety recall.
            I did not receive a letter by BMW. The dealer just told me this morning. Anyway, it will be checked today.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2014-06-26 12:07:53 »
              Below are some pics comparing the fuel pump plate on a 2012 GTL (built Feb 2011 like my GT) and the plate on a 2013 GTL (built Jan 2013).

In the first pic of the 2013 GTL, you can clearly see the silver metal ring around the raised plastic boss that the female quick disconnect threads into. This reinforcement, along with not over tightening of the tapered pipe thread fitting, should eliminate any potential cracking issues.
              ila_rendered
              In this pic of the 2012 GTL, you can see the silver metal ring is not there.
              ila_rendered
              BMW's solution is to replace the fuel pump plate with the updated version on bikes where cracks are found, or to add a reinforcing clamp on bikes where no cracks are found.

Mine was OK so I just got the extra clamp (well, my bike did ;D ).

anything