Author Topic: ITS GONE  (Read 1959 times)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
    ITS GONE
    « on: 2014-07-17 13:27:01 »
    Iv had my Exclusive for 4 months, done 2500 miles and compared with my previous GTL E its been a dream.  However the extra 15 kgs together with the slightly higher pillion seat for me makes it feel much more top heavy at very low speeds.  Wife was also less than pleased with her seat as the extra heated pad on the top box makes the seat feel smaller.
    So its now in my local dealer up for sale at a bargain price and I await delivery of an R1200RT LE. Its been fun on the 1600s for the last 3 years but I am looking forward to nearly 100 kgs less to push into the garage.
    « Last Edit: 2014-07-17 17:32:09 by RTman10 »

Offlineblkfalc4

Re: ITS GONE
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-07-18 03:01:01 »
      Wish you the best in your desicion....
      IMO,, the wrong one,,, but hey it's not mine to make...

Good Luck mate

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-07-18 08:32:10 »
        Sad to see an Exclusive go. I could almost bet that we'll see another post soon, with you on a 2015 or 2016 Exclusive  ;D
        But hey, if it works for you, it's the right decision. All the best with your new bike.
        It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-18 08:47:39 »
          Sad to see an Exclusive go. I could almost bet that we'll see another post soon, with you on a 2015 or 2016 Exclusive  ;D
          But hey, if it works for you, it's the right decision. All the best with your new bike.
          [/quote
          You never know.  I did consider going back to a GTL E but on this years there is too many goodies missing after the Exclusive.  Next years  model though is a different animal.  It will be interesting getting used to a boxer again this being my 8th. I know 2 people who have been loaned GTL Es while their RTs have been off the road.  Both got the chance of rejecting them, getting a cash hand out from BMW and getting the GTLs at a good price.  Neither have.   

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2014-07-18 09:13:01 »
            Riding a bike should be fun and should continue to be fun for the both of you. If you feel you'll be more happy on another (less heavy) bike than make the switch. Don't let anyone else tell you what to do; listen to advice but make your own decision. Lots of fun and safe miles on the RT to come.
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-18 12:46:03 »
              The new RT is a peach.  Must say if I didn't have the GT SE I would go for one
              Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineJim

« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-18 18:27:58 »
                Iv had my Exclusive for 4 months, done 2500 miles and compared with my previous GTL E its been a dream.  However the extra 15 kgs together with the slightly higher pillion seat for me makes it feel much more top heavy at very low speeds.  Wife was also less than pleased with her seat as the extra heated pad on the top box makes the seat feel smaller.
                So its now in my local dealer up for sale at a bargain price and I await delivery of an R1200RT LE. Its been fun on the 1600s for the last 3 years but I am looking forward to nearly 100 kgs less to push into the garage.

RTman10, would say I am sad to hear you have given the Exclusive up, but I am not & that's because it's what you want to do. As you know I have had mine 3 month now & covered about 2000 mile & like you it's night & day in comparison to my old GTLE, loving the goodies, ride & comfort the Exclusive offers me however my wife also says that due to the extra pad on the back rest the seat feels smaller than the old GTLEs. Can't say I have noticed any difference in weight nor the distribution of the weight between the 2 models however only weighing in at 9 stone they are both heavy bikes to me, but only when near & or stationary.

All the best with the new RT when you get it, remember just because you no longer have a K1600 don't mean you need to leave the forum, keep in touch.
                2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-18 19:13:04 »
                  To be honest I didn't notice the extra weight until we loaded up and then it was at a stand still it was very noticeable probably compounded by the wife being higher. I did about 1000 miles solo and there was no difference in its balance with my GTL E. At the end of the day if your pillion is not happy with her perch its time to move on. I will definitely continue to be part if this forum and when my RT arrives will give my opinion on it. I just wonder how  many switches it will get through.  Recent GSs have had them failing coming out the crate.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #8 on: 2014-09-03 18:01:29 »
                    Well after a long wait my fixed RT arrived last week.  Do I miss my Exclusive.  Well no because my RT seems to be a GTLE with 4 pots, 100kgs and a top box missing. It feels much smaller obviously after an Exclusive but the seats are the same size if not a bit bigger.  On the road its amazing.  Not much slower than a K but so much more nimble. Iv got all the goodies plus Shift Assist which is great.  Weather protection is much better with no buffeting.
                    I'm a happy bunny.

OfflineWildones

« Reply #9 on: 2014-09-04 19:13:43 »
                      RTman , I'm glad you're sticking around on the forum. I've read many of your previous posts and you regular talk a lot of sense. Sorry to hear you changed bikes but that's fine. I may change to an RT one day mainly for less weight as I'm not getting any younger.

As for your last post though, sorry but don't get it and don't agree with your comparison between the two bikes. There is no comparison  The 6 is faster, smoother, bigger and all round a better bike. Wind protection on new RT is poor as stock 1600 is. Seats on RT are not bigger. The RT is a fine bike indeed but IMO your previous bike was far superior so you won't be influencing me to change and hope nobody else to change either.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #10 on: 2014-09-04 20:04:59 »
                        Everyone to his own ah.  Points.  Speed Just not that much slower but much more nimble being that much smaller.
                        Seat.  On the Exclusive there is a heated pad attached to the bottom of the top box. It pushes the pillion forward
                        giving them less length than the RT seat.
                        Protection.  I'm convinced its better. There is next to no buffeting and with that huge ugly top fairing no draft at all
                        on your hands and most of your arms.
                        Smoother engine.  Got me there but the drive chain and gearbox are a treat.
                        Suppose I do miss my K a bit but I still have most of its stolen goodies on my RT. . 
                        « Last Edit: 2014-09-04 20:10:42 by RTman10 »

OfflineWildones

« Reply #11 on: 2014-09-04 20:33:25 »
                          Just enjoy it as they are both great bikes