Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 1246 times)

Offlinedtpetty

• 2014 GTL-E, 2004 R1150RTP 2 up conv, 2004 1150RTP
    First Impressions
    « on: 2014-08-17 07:00:37 »
    Just picked up my new Exclusive a little more than a week ago. Already have the 600 mi on it. Didn't want to stop riding! Really like this bike. Also ride R1150RT and the performance (HP) difference is astounding. Also does not feel any heavier than my RT. The lower seat makes it just as steady at rest and when starting. Feels as nimble at speed, maybe even a little more.

The throttle does require a little finesse. Seems a little inconsistent. Sometimes I feel like I can just let the clutch out and the correct RPM will be set, other times not. I have stalled a few times though not lately.

I really miss the L/R paddle switch turn signals. Can't imagine why they stopped using them. Salesman said it was due to reviewers (who aren't going to buy the bike anyway) commenting that they should be like every other bike. Since when does BMW want there machines to be like everyone else's? Wait - transverse in-line engine - never mind ;) It is nice to have the horn a little handier. My normal stance in traffic is left thumb on the horn button and right index finger on the brake lever.

Horn is pretty wimpy compared with my RTs. I always thought they were maybe unique to the police version. Extremely loud dual tone. Checking the parts fiche I don't see a different part for "official".

Seat feels pretty comfortable though I'll judge that after a make a trip in about a month.

The wide pegs are nice but I'll be putting on the Sport Boards that I love on my RTs.

Invested in some Wunderlich chrome. Initially got the rear protection bars and front fender rails. Seems like cheap insurance for expensive plastic. The engine protection set is at my door right now. Decided to go for the whole package, both for additional protection over the engine bars included on the E and for looks as the finish wasn't really up to par.

A minor gripe is that it seems like an easy thing to have the digital speedo visible whenever it is enabled and have the screen toggle to the audio for a while when the thumb wheel is touched. Future software upgrade maybe - are you listening BMW?

But if that's the biggest negative I've found I must be a pretty happy camper!
    Dean

OfflineComberjohn

• John's Driving School
    Re: First Impressions
    « Reply #1 on: 2014-08-17 15:47:08 »
    Congratulations on your new bike.
    Glad to hear someone else who misses the indicator paddles. Beginning to think I was the only one.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      « Reply #2 on: 2014-08-17 15:54:02 »
      The day BMW got rid of them is the day they started to replace thousands and thousands of the (new better) designed switchgear. Even my Exclusive needed a replacement after 2 months.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #3 on: 2014-08-17 17:17:23 »
        Congrats on the Exclusive.
        If you need a better horn, try the Stebel Nautilus. Several members have installed this one. Goes in same spot as the oem one but needs a relay. 139 dB should be enough to wake the neighbourhood up  ;D.
        I don't miss the double indicator padles as this is my first BMW.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinedtpetty

« Reply #4 on: 2014-08-24 07:54:57 »
          Thanks for the horn tip Frank. I'll most likely do it. You need a lot of horn these days to cut through the audio clutter of eveyones "info-tainment" centers. A lot of folks here on the Left Coast don't even pull over for fire engines anymore.

2nd impression:  A lot more air than I'm used to in the cocoon of my 1150RTs. It was fun at first, but....  Had an Aeroflow windshield and a set of Aero Wings & Mini Wings delivered yesterday. Read some good things about the wings. The windscreen is a medium height GT model. I'm a long waisted 6'1" but it should work well with the low seat on the GTL. I have an Aeroflow and Ceebee on the Rts but even the stock windscreen and fairing does a much better job of aerodynamics than the GTL - IMHO.

I'll post a review of the package after a long trip to New Mexico at the end of Sept.
          Dean

Offlinedtpetty

« Reply #5 on: 2014-08-26 07:49:18 »
            Well I didn't have to wait until Sept for a review. Got everything fitted Sunday & decided to pop down the freeway to run a short errand. Unbelievable difference! Absolutely no air on my hands arms or face. Just a slight breeze at my back. No back pressure at all and zero buffeting. It was hard to believe I was on the same bike. Definitely puts some more 'L' in the GTL. I would highly recommend the AeroWings and MiniWings if you like still air. The windshield is also great but I'd bet they'd work well with any good windshield and probably the stock as well. I would have happily paid 2 or 3 times what they cost - it makes that much difference.

https://www.aeroflowscreens.com/K1600GT_GTL/K1600GT%20_GTL_Products.htm
            Dean