Author Topic: Any experience with the Sena 20S and/or Cardo SHO-1  (Read 2166 times)

OfflineGeebee

The Sena 20S and Cardo SHO-1 are now on the market for a couple of months already. Both look very good new options albeit that they might have somehow a slightly different target audience. The Sena comes with BT 4 whereas the Cardo still relies on BT 3 and is co-developped with Shoei (hence a fit with most of their helmets seems to be the big deal here). Quickly checking some sources here is what I learned about BT4:

• Low-energy consumption: the new power consumption protocol aims very low with energy for applications up to 50 meters away. In a few words, it consumes only a fraction of the power purged by the classic standard and not by sacrificing the signal strength, but altering the duty cycles design. It is optimized for small burst of data, and a continuous use will actually make it consume more power.
    • More reliable on multi-point connections
    • More secure
    • Faster
    Source: https://techpp.com/2012/10/13/bluetooth-3-1-vs-bluetooth-4-0/
    Not very technical, I admit, but you get the key differences in lay language.

Also if I am not wrong the Sena has 2 BT modules on board which makes it possible to mix the signal from 2 sources (i.e. have a conversation and have the music run in the background).
    Anyhow, my point was not to do a deepdive analysis of both but rather ask if we have some early adopters here on the forum? Anyone who is willing to share their experiences?

Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineGeebee

Re: Any experience with the Sena 20S and/or Cardo SHO-1
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-09-02 07:34:33 »
      Really, no one?
      Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-09-02 10:21:26 »
        Sorry, can't help you there  :(.
        After my disappointment with bluetooth some years ago, I switched back to a wired system.
        Maybe BT 4.0 is better, but I'm not even considering going back to BT unless there are constant good experiences.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-02 13:43:38 »
          Wired here too and totally satisfied. However, I thought that maybe with time BT would have matured and the SHO-1 or certainly the Sena 20S seemed viable candidates as wireless alternatives.
          On the US forum there is some experience with the Sena 20S at least but it seems to early to tell in other parts of the world.
          Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2014-09-02 21:26:27 »
            Myself and two others have gone from the SMH10 to the SMH20s.

It has bugs that need ironing out, but it is a major leap over the SMH10. My complaint is that I use in ear monitors, and there is constant static/white noise in the background. And it'snot bike related, as it still there when away from the bike.
            Being able to connect to multiple other riders all at the same time is very good, and the music keeps playing in the background whilst a intercom connection is made.

Radio is not very good, unless you have a good signal.

To be honest, we are all still playing with settings and getting used to the units. They are certainly not perfect, but no system is when it's breaking into new territory.

Glad I've upgraded.
            R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-03 10:29:04 »
              Thanks, Gargy. When you connect to other riders, were all of them on Sena too or is it possible to mix with other brands?
              Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineGargy

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2014-09-03 18:49:30 »
                Thanks, Gargy. When you connect to other riders, were all of them on Sena too or is it possible to mix with other brands?

There were three of us with Smh20's and one with a SMH10. When the SMH10 was added to the group intercom, I had static quite bad through my in ear monitors, but no one else had this problem with their helmet speakers.

I have just been out to try the SMH20 with the speakers fitted into my C3 helmet instead of the in ear monitors. With ear plugs in I can hear everything fine up to 90MPH, and it's even better without the ear plugs.

I did have to faff around to get the speakers just right, but it made the sound so much better................... If the in helmet speakers are not in the right place, then the system sounds rubbish no matter how loud you have it set, but get it right and it's spot on.
                R.I.P. Marco Simoncelli.

Offlinebarrytm

« Reply #7 on: 2014-10-09 11:00:56 »
                  I currently have the SMH-10 and I have no problems with it. And I don't need the extra features of the 20s.