Author Topic: Fear of plastic  (Read 1593 times)

OfflineComberjohn

• John's Driving School
Fear of plastic
« on: 2014-09-02 23:26:00 »
I have just ordered a BoosterPlug for my GT.
Not going to get into a whole discussion about whether it works or not. Just going to try it for myself.
Simply looking for a softer throttle response in traffic and when moving out of junctions. It has caught me out once. Crash bars saved the day!
I understand where it is installed at the air box. Photos from supplier are quite clear.
Just need someone to give me a quick run down on how to get at the right side of the air box. I believe that I need to remove three panels to get at it and I'm just a bit nervous about removing them.
Can anyone talk me through it?

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
    Re: Fear of plastic
    « Reply #1 on: 2014-09-03 08:08:07 »
    Why not just select Rain mode.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      « Reply #2 on: 2014-09-03 09:26:53 »
      It's just a couple of screws. All are torx 25.
      Here you go.

To access the air box you need to remove the air guides first.

Then remove the cover of the fuel tank.
      Remove screws (1)

Remove fuel-tank cover top section (1),noting retaining tabs (2) and the retaining lugs (arrows).

Remove screws (1) and (2).

Remove complete cover (1),noting guides (2) and rubber grommets (3) on left and right.

Now you see the air box.
      « Last Edit: 2014-09-03 18:54:59 by FP-NLD »
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
        « Reply #3 on: 2014-09-03 13:55:38 »

Why not just select Rain mode.
        +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Just enjoy it!

OfflineComberjohn

• John's Driving School
        « Reply #4 on: 2014-09-03 23:09:20 »
        Those diagrams are perfect. Just what I was after. The fear has gone!
        Must confess that I have never even tried the 'Rain' mode. I'm not sure that it would address the issues that I have.
        I'm not long in the leg and I'm very wary of the weight when stopping. I find the slight on/off effect of the throttle can catch me out. Also, I find it a real pig to ride in traffic with the clunkiness of the transmission. Something I feel is made worse by the sharpness of the throttle.
        I would have to use the 'Rain' mode all of the time and this would seem a bit pointless given the spec of the K1600.
        It caught me out two weekends ago when in Southern Ireland near Galway. Must admit, I had clocked up 350 plus miles that day, so fatigue may have played a part.
        T junction on a country road with an awkward camber and down she went, fortunately on the right side.
        Was able to prevent it going over completely, flick out the side stand and walk it back up onto the side stand. Few light scratches on the edge of the pannier. Good job, as there was no one for miles!
        I understand that BMW have to conform to very strict emission laws now and I'm not interested in any performance gains. I can scare myself just fine already, thanks.
        From what I understand from the write up on their website, the BoosterPlug increases the fuelling slightly every time the throttle is opened and allows it to go back to normal when on a fixed throttle. A bit like a carb with an accelerator pump.
        Fuel consumption will increase but, hopefully, only by a few percent.
        I know it may all be BS but thought I would give it a go.
        If successful (or not!) I'll do a write up on the forum.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-04 09:09:16 »
          Try the Rain mode.  No loss of power just very smooth throttle response and it hides the transmission clunk a bit.  One press and your back to Road when your out of traffic.

OfflineComberjohn

• John's Driving School
          « Reply #6 on: 2014-09-04 19:35:49 »
          Well, I tried the rain mode this afternoon and certainly makes it easier to ride. Not perfect but better.
          If I'm honest, I could probably leave it in rain mode for 80-90% of the time for my style of riding.
          But, it's a bit like taking it to the vet. It's a man thing the wife says.
          I'm hoping that the BoosterPlug will have a similar effect, at least.
          It's on it's way so have to give it a go.
          If it doesn't deliver as promised, I'll be using the rain mode more.
          You have to stop the bike to change modes, don't you? Or is it just mine?

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #7 on: 2014-09-04 20:09:15 »
            Lift clutch, shut throttle, press button until required mode shows. Keep the throttle closer and clutch in.  Takes a second or two to change.

OfflineWildones

« Reply #8 on: 2014-09-04 20:40:01 »
              Comberjohn

There's no doubt that a powerful engine with a fly by wire throttle takes a lot of getting used to but practise and you will get there. You don't need added controllers. When road surfaces are bumpy, which is most of time in UK I ride mostly in rain mode. Around town and filtering whilst commuting I use rain mode. With practise the control is easy. When roads improve and want to have fun I use road or for real speed and fun dynamic but again only on smoothish roads

Also as RTman says it's possible and easy to change modes whilst on the move. Hope this helps

OnlineDavidMcK

« Reply #9 on: 2014-09-04 23:30:09 »
                Hi John, try rain mode or just road mode, you will adjust to it easily and you can change the mode while on the move.  The modes are there to be used and I do use them.  If its wet I switch on rain mode and like the thought of full traction control etc.

OfflineLight Buzzyear

« Reply #10 on: 2014-09-07 09:21:43 »
                  I must admit the sensitive throttle response caught me out on a number of occasions when I first rode the bike; even after riding the K13GT which had a similar throttle response.

Quite an embarrassing site - me and the missus jerking heads back in fully synchronised fashion with the bike lunging forward in an ungainly manner onto the rear of any vehicle that was unfortunate enough to be on the same 20 yards of tarmac  :'( . Looked very impressive to any bystander that thought it was a planned spectacle but in the middle of a bike tour we quickly became the talk of the "paddock" ::) .

But take heart, it does get more usable with time and with practice. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm wet shave smooth but definitely no stubble.
                  [size=78%]   [/size]
                  Infinity and Beyond!

OfflineC 4

« Reply #11 on: 2014-09-07 16:07:38 »
                    It took me a little while to get used to it as well. I would drag the outer most part of my palm on the bar end weight to help minimize the jerkiness of my throttle hand. Worked very well,and slowly had less and less of my palm on the weight. Don't waste you money.
                    2013 K1600 GTL

OfflineComberjohn

• John's Driving School
                    « Reply #12 on: 2014-09-07 21:57:23 »
                    Well, the BoosterPlug arrived yesterday and I installed it last night. Tested it this afternoon and it works for me.
                    Difficult to describe exactly but it's a bit like riding in 'Rain' mode all the time but more so. Even in 'Dynamic'.
                    Relatively smooth changes are possible from about 1500 rpm, even without using the clutch.
                    Don't detect any improvement in performance but that's not what I was after. No noticeable change in fuel consumption either.
                    Just makes it that bit more pleasurable to ride.
                    Was starting to get quite good at changing the throttle mode on the go, too!

anything