Author Topic: Heated seat connection help  (Read 1692 times)

OfflineClassic

Heated seat connection help
    « on: 2014-09-13 23:51:39 »
    Hi all,
    I have a 2014 GTL Exclusive. Shortly after taking delivery, discovered one of the release 'lugs' on the connector (under the seat) for the heated seat elements was missing.
    BMW have supplied the dealer with a new connector end, however he does not have the tool to remove the wire pins from the old connector. He has made enquiries and has been quoted £1200 for a set of tools, containing the one he thinks he will need. Can understand he is reluctant to purchase to do the job.
    He is making enquiries to try to resolve the problem but I wondered if anyone on here had any ideas I could pass on.
    Thanks
    Ian
    « Last Edit: 2014-09-14 00:01:47 by Classic »
    BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive & Suzuki GSX1400

OfflineWildones

Re: Heated seat connection help
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-09-14 21:45:03 »
      Ian

Yes I guess they do require special tool to remove as they work like barbed hooks so,once they are located they cannot be simply pulled out. Don't know where you live but surely your dealer could be able to hire the one needed from somewhere at small cost. Don't need to but a whole set - just the size needed

Regards another Ian

OfflineClassic

« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-14 22:47:46 »
        Thanks for the reply Ian.
        I am just north of York.
        He said he was going to try and sort the problem and I  believe he will, also bought my previous GTL E from him new in 2011.
        Nothing is ever too much trouble for them when I ask, just thought someone might have had an idea to help speed things up a bit.

Thanks again for the info and thoughts.

Ian

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2014-09-14 22:48:02 »
          Maybe a dumb question but can't he just cut  the wires, strip them and put them in the new connector?
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineClassic

« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-14 23:50:36 »
            Don't think that was an option. From the description he gave me, the wires have pins on the end which are then located in the connector using the pins to retain them securely and not allow moisture into the connector.
            I know the problem of the broken retaining 'lug' was reported to BMW under warranty and they forwarded a new connector to the dealer.
            Will give him a while, I was wondering if the local BMW car dealer had a tool for the job. Failing that I think I will have to contact BMW direct for a suggested solution as it is my expensive 'baby' and it needs to me right.
            Thanks all.
            Ian

« Last Edit: 2014-09-15 14:22:06 by Classic »

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
              « Reply #5 on: 2014-09-15 16:49:33 »
              If BMW are quoting £1200 for the tool kit including the one he needs he must also be missing quite a few other tools which I would expect a BMW Worksop to hold as a matter of course.  When new models are released so are the specialized tools for them. With the 1600 now over 3 years old I'm a little surprised he hasn't got them all. That's why we use BMW dealers is it not.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2014-09-15 17:24:31 »
                A bit the same with the AMP Superseal connectors. I bought a couple for the extra cable I ran to the topcase. The connectors are rather cheap. When I started looking for the pliers you need to attach the wires to the pins, the pliers turned out to be € 277  :o. That's fine if you have make hundreds day in day out but not if you only need to make 2. I used some small generic pliers which cost about € 1. Took a bit longer but they did the job.
                You would expect a dealer to have all the 'official' tools though.
                Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineWildones

« Reply #7 on: 2014-09-15 20:55:49 »
                  Ian

Re your problem. I know the dealer you refer to in York. As for your comment about keeping water out - no I don't think that's the case. It's not a sealed unit it's just the fastener is the type that cannot be pulled out accidentally. You could cut the wires but only worth doing if firstly dealer can still remove old fasteners and also that they can get some new ones supplied. They are simple little things that are simply crimped around the wire. Very easy fix would have thought. As for keeping moisture out of ALL electrical connections suggest you buy some ACF 50 and spray around

Regds Ian

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #8 on: 2014-09-15 21:11:12 »
                    I reckon you will get the connectors or the locking clips from Maplin!
                    Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineClassic

« Reply #9 on: 2014-09-15 21:20:43 »
                      Busy the rest of the week and away this weekend, riding.
                      Will call in to the dealer on Monday if possible and see what he has come up with.
                      Will pass on the comments re possible solutions and update here.
                      Thanks to all who responded.
                      Ian

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #10 on: 2014-09-17 01:41:02 »
                        I totally understand no tools.  Most shops can not even to this day balance the read wheel.  Requires a special hub

OfflineClassic

« Reply #11 on: 2014-09-19 23:22:18 »
                          Update as promised.
                          Got a request from my dealer to attend for the new connector to be fitted.
                          Called in today after work and within 1/2 hour the new connector was fitted.
                          Didn't say how but front and rear seat heating is working normally so I am happy.
                          I belive he managed to remove the inner block from the old connector and replace new connector inner block. Hence, no need to actually remove wiring from connection block, so no special tools required.

Ian

OfflineWildones

« Reply #12 on: 2014-09-20 00:23:13 »
                            Hey good news Ian - glad you got sorted eh.

OfflineClassic

« Reply #13 on: 2014-09-20 01:23:09 »
                              Hey good news Ian - glad you got sorted eh.

Yes, had every faith my dealer would solve the problem in time,  having purchased 2 new K1600 GTL's  from him now.
                              Just posted in case any one else had had the same problem resolved and advice would help.
                              He also did the servicing etc on my K1200LT
                              Ian

anything