Author Topic: BLUETOOTH CHANGE OF MIND  (Read 3041 times)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
    BLUETOOTH CHANGE OF MIND
    « on: 2014-09-17 16:51:14 »
    I have spent the best part of the last 3 years trying to convince everyone not to use Bluetooth. Wired is always better reliability wise and sound quality as well.
    In a moment of nostalgia I recently swapped my Exclusive for an R120ORT LE.   A lovely thing it is too if a bit ugly.  But it doesn't have the audio system fitted. I have been therefore forced to go partly Bluetooth.   I still have an Autocom Logic but now have to have the Bluetooth dongle attached to connect to my Nav V which now of course is my only source of music.  Ha Ho.  No problems at all.  It never unpairs and the sound quality is as good if not better than I had when everything was connected through the Alpine unit. In addition I have separate volume levels for music, GPS and phone.  Progress ah.
    « Last Edit: 2014-09-17 17:02:42 by RTman10 »

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
      Re: BLUETOOTH CHANGE OF MIND
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-09-18 14:22:31 »
      Welcome to the modern world.
      I'm sure it's just a case of the technology getting ever better.
      Have never had a problem with my Bluetooth set up on the GTL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Just enjoy it!

OfflineJIS

« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-04 20:25:42 »
        This is interesting. I have just bought a brand new K1600 GTSE with full audio; not because we wanted the audio but we struck a deal on a new bike where it was included. We have been using Autocom for the past 5 years on our former K1300GT and have had this unit refitted to the K16. The principal reason for not going Bluetooth was because we did not wish to be forced to change our helmets as the Autocom was working fine.
        To hear the Sat Nav (my trusty Zumo 660) I have had to link the Zumo via Bluetooth to the Autocom via a bluetooth adapter. This works pretty well but the audio quality is poor compared to when it was wired directly to the Autocom (as on the K13GT).
        A good friend of mine has also upgraded to the K1600GT but has taken the plunge and is fully bluetooth. However, this means that his pillion does not hear the Sat Nav alerts; which is not acceptable to us (as my wife wants to be aware of what's coming up etc).
        So, it's not totally obvious is it ?
        John, Kent, UK

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2015-01-04 21:09:24 »
          I do not have the audio on my bike but started out with bluetooth (in my case Cardo Scala G4) connected directly to the Zumo 660. I soon switched back to wired as BT kept losing either the Zumo or the pasenger. I also had Autocom (Pro Sport 7) on my previous bike and now the Autocom SPA with the Zumo 660 hard wired to the Autocom. I don't mind the 5 seconds it takes to plug in. Good audio quality, no pairing, no charging. The wife is also happy as she can hear directions and music as well.
          Bluetooth is still improving and has a lot of potential, but for the moment it can't do (reliably) what I want from it on the bike.
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-05 08:39:42 »
            JIS. If you have your Autocom wired into the audio unit you will have no need for Bluetooth and the sound quality is oerfect.  In addition yiu can control the Zumo volume with the wheel. That way you also get the radio/music directly to both of you.

OfflineDeano

« Reply #5 on: 2015-06-21 12:32:19 »
              I thought I was the only one resisting Bluetooth, the main reason beingwe also like voice prompts to both rider & pillion. Why is it all those clever clogs can let you share music but not GPS?
              I have a 2012 GT SE with Nav V but, with a Bluetooth dongle on my Autocom , can only get GPS prompts. Nothing from the bike radio or music from the Nav V. When asking for music from the Nav all I get is a message saying ' listen through bike radio', which does nothing either on speakers or Bluetooth. Anyone got any suggestions?

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #6 on: 2015-06-21 16:27:07 »
                If your Autocom is wired to your audio system both of you will hear everything, music from whatever you connect to the USB, radio and GPS prompts.  You will need to disable Bluetooth in the audio unit and of course make sure you haven't  switched off the speakers on the left hand panel. The media player in the GPS won't work on any bike with an Alpine unit fitted. Just plug a flash card in loaded with MP3. The bike does the rest.       

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #7 on: 2015-06-22 14:00:26 »
                  I have no problems with BT. It works, sound quality isn't all that, but who cares. At least it's not silent. But what was BMW thinking when they developed the WCS2 intercom devices itself? You know, the helmet devices? Which idiot thought it was a good idea to leave out the feature "VOICE ACTIVATED". Now very time we want to start a conversation, either me or my wife have to start pushing buttons. What the hell BMW, this is a feature I had on my (wired) Autocom (on my Honda) back in 2005. Has no one in your engineering department come up with this feature, or was he mocked and ridiculed at the watercooler for this idea?

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #8 on: 2015-06-22 16:51:06 »
                    Me thinks you have a problem with your kit.  It is voice activated. There is no mute for music etc when you talk though..

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #9 on: 2015-06-23 10:54:09 »
                      Me thinks you have a problem with your kit.  It is voice activated. There is no mute for music etc when you talk though..

Mind you, this is the BMW system, not the Autocom. AFAIK, the BMW WCS-2 is not voice activated. If it is, then you should tell me how to activate the setting. I would worship you forever.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #10 on: 2015-06-23 13:02:23 »
                        If its the current BMW system that's designed for the System 6 helmet just pair them together and talk.  No pressing anything required. Don't quite understand WCS-2. 

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #11 on: 2015-06-23 13:44:11 »
                          If its the current BMW system that's designed for the System 6 helmet just pair them together and talk.  No pressing anything required. Don't quite understand WCS-2.

Sorry to hijack this thread.  :-[

So, when you are listening to music on the bike, you just start to talk and the music fades and the mic activates? And you are using BMW's own system?

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #12 on: 2015-06-23 15:16:49 »
                            I think we are confusing voice activation (VOX) with muting. To talk to you passenger there is no need to press anything, just talk. When you don't talk the system shuts down so you don't continually hear road/wind noise.  You are quite right, play music and talk and you have to shout over it or mute the music from the panel.  No way round that I'm afraid, except of course to install a wired system connected to the audio system. Disadvantages then is you both hear the GPS, you can control volume from the wheel, music automatically mutes and you don't get any batteries to charge. Half the price as well.         

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #13 on: 2015-06-23 15:33:55 »
                              I think we are confusing voice activation (VOX) with muting. To talk to you passenger there is no need to press anything, just talk. When you don't talk the system shuts down so you don't continually hear road/wind noise.  You are quite right, play music and talk and you have to shout over it or mute the music from the panel.  No way round that I'm afraid, except of course to install a wired system connected to the audio system. Disadvantages then is you both hear the GPS, you can control volume from the wheel, music automatically mutes and you don't get any batteries to charge. Half the price as well.       

Thanks for your comments. I am going to start a new thread on this, because we are definately NOT talking about the same devices. :)