Author Topic: Starter to Stalling  (Read 1620 times)

Offlinehbeil

Starter to Stalling
    « on: 2014-09-22 16:00:36 »
    Recently purchased a 2014 K1600GLT.  From day one, the bike had starting issues.   Once warmed up, and then shut off, the starter bogged heavily for several moments before finally starting the bike.  The best way to describe this is the sound your starter makes when you have a very low charge on your battery.   This was never a problem when the bike was cold.   Dealer initially replaced the battery 3 times.  This did nothing to fix the problem.  Not a charging system problem, other  than that after about 3 attempts to start the bike you would have a dead battery.  Seems this problem was pulling a great deal of current.  Finally dealer ordered a new starter and a new starter/shut off switch (which had to be ordered from Europe and took a week to arrive) .  So Far, this has worked to fix the sluggish start while hot issue.....HOWEVER....  the mechanic advised me that he had "some starting issues where by the bike would not stay running once started". He said I needed to use Chevron fuel (which I was already doing...and that I needed to add Techron fuel additive).  WHAT???       This had not been a problem ever before. 

So,  TWO  things are now occurring.  From Cold Start, the engine sputters and stalls.  It now takes several attempts to keep the bike running.  and ..... Once running, the bike now Stalls Out at stop signs and red lights.    but, it Starts right back up without problem..    This occurred yesterday about 6 times during a 170 mile ride.   

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Starter to Stalling
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-09-22 16:20:19 »
      Brand of fuel shouldn't make any difference as long as it meet the specs (which aren't too demanding). Additives should never be necessary.
      There's definitely something not in order if it happens during a ride. Maybe fuel pump or injectors?
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-09-22 16:22:53 »
        BTW congrats and welcome to the forum.
        I see you posted an identical post within two minutes. I'll remove the second one.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          « Reply #3 on: 2014-09-22 17:52:12 »
          My advice would be return it to the dealer, demand a loan bike until the problem is solved. The fuel and additive advice is rubbish. They do not stall or stutter to a stop hot or cold.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-23 01:14:36 »
            I totally agree with RTman.  Take her back.  I would actually insist on a whole new bike.  It is some sort of injector or fuel pump issue most likely.  BMW should never allow this sort of poor quality slip through their hands on a $30,000 dollar bike.  If I sound like I am venting I sort of am.  I had to dig deep into my pride and pocket to buy 6 BMW OEM spark plugs for my winter tuneup/valve adjustment ritual.  The dealer even fumed me more by saying some BMW plugs are $30+ each!!!  At least he gave me a deal of $17 dollars each instead of the list price of $23 each

Offlineblkfalc4

« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-23 02:48:56 »
              I suspect it's the fuel pump. On the new 14's have seen it a fe times already.

Offlinehbeil

« Reply #6 on: 2014-10-27 21:58:50 »
                Update.  Dealer kept the bike for several weeks and seemed to be doing their best on the problem.  They advised that the seals around the intake were warped and needed to be replaced.  They advised that this was unusual for a bike this new, and with this few miles (1700mi).  No more started problems and currently no more stalling issues. 

HOWEVER.... now, the engine Overheat Fan kicks on is and is VERY LOUD.   In hotter months (when the bike was just purchased ..June and July) the only time I can recall hearing this fan was after a 30 minute or more ride when I pulled up to a parking spot but did not turn it off right away.   

The other day in about 90degree outside temp, and after less than 10miles drive, I stopped at a red light. The fan kicked and was so loud I could hear if above the other traffic. I swear I could also hear what sounded like "boiling water".   The heat gauge showed about 7 bars on the heat scale, and I can hear it over heavy traffic next to me.  So, if it was turning on in the past while moving I was never aware of it. 

The bike has always seemed to run HOT, but It has never run above 9 bars, and it has never "overheated to red".   

The Dealer believes, as do I that "HEAT" is the common issued that seems to be causing the malfunctions in this bike;  However, I can't rule out that the Dealer themselves have created some problems since these secondary issued NEVER occurred before the initial replacement of the Starter and Starter Switch. Plus, since the outside temperature has gone down as much as 20 degrees, it may now be difficult to see if "heat related issues continue".

I contacted BMW as suggested here, and as also as suggested by the selling  Dealer. The request was for "BUY BACK". BMW was initially very polite when I made the "BUY BACK" request.  They stated that a "Field team" would be assigned to look at the bike, review the repair records, and speak with the Dealership Mechanics.  About 2 weeks later BMW Customer service contacted me "$500"  "for my inconvenience" and refused the "Buy Back". When I requested a written copy they then refused to give me a copy of the Customer Service Complaint, they refused to give me any names of their "Field Team" that made the decision, They refused to tell me if a "Field Team" member had inspected the bike, and said that they would only release this information to my Attorney!  I don't have an "Attorney"... whey would I need an attorney?    My bike, My Money, My Complaint...but they can only give it to "An Attorney"... WHAT???       Is this REALLY the way BMW does business?   

anything