Author Topic: Pannier Damage  (Read 1741 times)

OfflineLight Buzzyear

Pannier Damage
    « on: 2014-10-06 21:26:14 »
    Hi Guys

The weekend ride resulted in my bike suffering its first drop. I was turning the bike around on a tight hill when the huge weight of the bike fully loaded exceeded my skill in keeping it upright. Down she went. I managed to soften the blow but still have some damage to repair. The bike is the sport version and is six month old.

The right side pannier has some fairly rough scratches on that require either repair and paint or a new pannier. Is anyone aware if I can just order the outer skin of the pannier? The new style pannier looks as though the outer skin will detach leaving just the plain carcase? My bike is the burnt orange sport version with the decals that are also slightly marked so a new pannier or skin is called for. What are the options?

I also damaged some of the main fairing. These are only pea sized spots (about six in number) that run along the edge of the fairing. These need slight refilling and painting. Is anyone aware of the paint code or where I can find it on the bike? Also is there a product that will fill these pits out and colour match the paint?

I would be very grateful for any advice as I'm still in depression about it. The guys I ride with were very understanding and we all know it can happen to anyone but still the pride is dented!

Infinity and beyond - well not quite  :-\

Infinity and Beyond!

OfflineWinston Smith

Re: Pannier Damage
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-10-06 21:38:18 »
      Painted pannier is a buyable option.  Mine were replaced under warranty due to a paint defect.  The grey carcass is about £160 i think.

I would recommend a pannier protector kit which may have saved you.

Other option is any decent paint shop will be able to match the colour, they will either find the number or match it with their equipment.  No doubt they would be able to either paint the decals or order them from BMW and fit/laquer
      Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-06 21:39:57 »
        Where are you?
        Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineLight Buzzyear

« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-06 21:55:10 »
          Winston;
          I'm in East Yorkshire. I have a great local guy who does fantastic work on paint jobs but he's a bit reluctant to do bike work and wouldnt work on my K1300gt without the colour code which BMW were a bit "awkward" about letting me have for some reason.

What are the protector items you mentioned? They might well have helped.

The crash bars worked very well but I did note they sort of rolled the bike over onto the fairing which is I suppose a much better option than the engine!
          Infinity and Beyond!

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-06 22:18:31 »
            Me too!

Try Paintwork Express on English Street (used to be ChipsAway) opposite Chiquito's in Hull.

Other option is Clive at Rapier Paint off Cleveland Street but he's expensive.

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-06 22:22:04 »
              Pannier protectors are two plastic mouldings that run along bottom edge of grey part of pannier and just under the painted 'skin'

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                « Reply #6 on: 2014-10-07 10:19:23 »
                I have replaced the outer (unpainted) lid on mine.  The painted top is easily removed as are the hinges. Replacement lids come with new hinges. I also managed to mark the edge of the fairing on my Exclusive.  Thought I would never get a match but my local Halfords made up a bottle for £10, perfect match.
                If you look at Real OEM and find your colour it shows you the paint code.   Halfords just needed the paint name, no code required and at the time the bike had only been out 2 months.

Offlinesecmast

« Reply #7 on: 2014-10-07 11:48:06 »
                  Winston;
                  I'm in East Yorkshire. I have a great local guy who does fantastic work on paint jobs but he's a bit reluctant to do bike work and wouldnt work on my K1300gt without the colour code which BMW were a bit "awkward" about letting me have for some reason.

What are the protector items you mentioned? They might well have helped.

The crash bars worked very well but I did note they sort of rolled the bike over onto the fairing which is I suppose a much better option than the engine!

The paint color is the same as the following car according to my dealer: https://www.bmw.fr/fr/new-vehicles/x/x1/2012/highlights.html
                  In fact the dealer was not able to find the color code on the bike section by the reference was a car color. Which was used to paint my top case.
                  Better check with your body workshop.

OfflineLight Buzzyear

« Reply #8 on: 2014-10-07 22:55:30 »
                    Cheers all, some really good advice on there which is exactly why I joined the forum.

I think my plan is to price up the pannier skin with decals included. Ask the dealer for the code while I'm at it and then see how much my local guy will charge for the small paint job (edges of main fairing).

I use Chris Peart at a place just outside Roos for the paint jobs (for those locally to me). He does a fantastic job but like everything else - it don't come particularly cheap although I think its reasonable enough for the work.

I'll post some time later when the repair is complete.
                    Infinity and Beyond!

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                      « Reply #9 on: 2014-10-08 08:11:23 »
                      By decals if you are talking about the painted top skin with the BMW badge stuck on it the price is about £250.