Author Topic: Heated grips  (Read 1459 times)

OfflineTrophyian

Heated grips
    « on: 2014-10-15 16:02:52 »
    My left hand heated grip has died. The right hand one works and the display to select the heat setting is fine as well.
    I have the new one on order. However fitting seems not that simple.

I have managed to take most of it apart and removed the 3 larger clip-in leads from the switch assembly. I have allso taken this  off the handle bar itself and can see where 3 fine wires go under the multi-controller into the grip... but for the love of mike I cannot see a way of detaching it from the old grip to put the new one on. The dealer spoke to the mechanic whilst  I ordered the part and made it sound straightforward ... MISTAKE !

Has any one tried this or can point me in the direction of manual/service part showing the removal ?

Ian

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Heated grips
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-10-15 16:12:59 »
      I am not sure but if you look at RealOEM you will see the grip comes complete with the cable.  It looks like you will have to remove the controller as well and feed the new cable through it.   

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
      • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
        • Homepage
      « Reply #2 on: 2014-10-15 17:46:37 »
      ** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

OfflineTrophyian

« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-15 21:14:13 »
        Thank you Steiner. Just what I needed. Still not easy to remove the grip  without loosening the multi-controller . I will see what wires come with the new one before I take off all the plastic side panels( page 2/3)  to get to the end of the heater wire connector. In fact the mechanic didn't even mention this stage so I guess it can all be  done at the top end.

It is also not clear how to separate the grip from the multi-controller, when I slide it off they remain connected, albeit loosely.

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
        • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
          • Homepage
        « Reply #4 on: 2014-10-15 22:03:23 »
        The secret is here :-)

ila_rendered
        ** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

OfflineTrophyian

« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-15 22:35:27 »
          Thanks Steiner. I have managed to do this now. I have now managed to put it all back until the now one arrives.

It is tricky but can be done. Once that hidden bolt is removed you then have to detach 3 plug in cables from the switch gear before you can slide the whole unit off the handle bar. What they don't show is 6cm lug running from the hand grip under the multi-controller. I will update as and when I fit the new one!!!