Author Topic: Choice of colours (or should I say lack of choice)  (Read 4303 times)

OfflineBarnsyuk

I don't know who in BMW decides on what colour to paint the bikes, but next years choice (or lack of) is not very inspiring. I dont care what they call it, the choice for 2015 is white or black.....

Come on BMW give us some decent colours. I want to change mine next month, and will probably end up with this years blue because next years colours suck.
    1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

Onlinegriffis

Re: Choice of colours (or should I say lack of choice)
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-10-19 19:14:33 »
      I'm happy with my glacier silver,  matches my Shuberts better than my 2013 silver color.

OfflineDavidMcK

« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-20 10:53:41 »
        This is a funny one, I have just got a 2015 K16 Sport in Sakir orange.  My friends ask me what the difference is between it and the SE, they expect me to say things like a quick shifter, or sport exhaust.  Instead I say the colour, some stitching on the seat and someone in BMW (with a fiendish sense of humour)  though it would be fun to cut the screen in half.

So the funny thing is that there are three colours for next year, same as last year.

BTW on a separate note, my bike is three weeks old, done 1,000 miles and has had three component failures in three weeks.  A broken auxiliary light, broken hatch for the Sat Nav and the wonder wheel is stuffed as well.  Its a brilliant bike but I am getting sick of bringing it back to the dealer and the sad news seems to be that BMW still have not sorted out quality control on component parts.

OfflineWildones

« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-20 23:26:40 »
          You're right that the choice of colours is limited BUT the storm black metallic on my 15 GTLE is awesome, plus of course it's the fastest colour, so why complain

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-23 12:08:05 »
            When I ordered my GTL in 2012, I wanted it to be Nachtschwarz metallic, like the LT I owned before that. Ofcourse, BMW did only two colours: ugly white-ish/grey-ish and ugly blue :) As per my request, my dealer was kind enough to take the zero kilometer GTL apart and ship it to the painter. 1500 euros later it was Nachtschwarz metallic.

Honda did an even worse job for the PC800 back in the late 80's. ALL the models were the same color, and they only changed that by year. So a '89/'90 was pearl white, a '91/'93 was red, and my '94/95 PC800 is black.

Lesson learned: yes, BMW sucks when it comes to colors, but find a friendly painter and get your own color. You'll never regret it.

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-23 12:29:24 »
              When I ordered my GTL in 2012, I wanted it to be Nachtschwarz metallic, like the LT I owned before that. Ofcourse, BMW did only two colours: ugly white-ish/grey-ish and ugly blue :) As per my request, my dealer was kind enough to take the zero kilometer GTL apart and ship it to the painter. 1500 euros later it was Nachtschwarz metallic.

Honda did an even worse job for the PC800 back in the late 80's. ALL the models were the same color, and they only changed that by year. So a '89/'90 was pearl white, a '91/'93 was red, and my '94/95 PC800 is black.

Lesson learned: yes, BMW sucks when it comes to colors, but find a friendly painter and get your own color. You'll never regret it.

Only issue you may have is resale value - if it isn't the right colour for the year any prospective buyer may suspect it is a post crash re-spray. 
              The cost effectively makes it 10% more expensive too, so potentially there is a double whammy there - pay more and get less back.

Each to their own though, and it's what makes the individual happy and what an individual believes is worth it.
              Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #6 on: 2014-10-23 13:02:30 »
                Only issue you may have is resale value - if it isn't the right colour for the year any prospective buyer may suspect it is a post crash re-spray. 
                The cost effectively makes it 10% more expensive too, so potentially there is a double whammy there - pay more and get less back.

I hear what you say, although I believe I won't run into this problem since my dealer can back me up on the paint story. Besides, my official original registration papers even show "black" as colour, instead of the original blue.

About that 10%? I am not sure where you get a GTL for 15.000 euros. Mine was double that. If you paid 15K for a GTL you got a pretty good deal. :)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #7 on: 2014-10-23 14:44:20 »
                  Maybe 5% then lol!

Not good at working Euro to GBP!

GTL is about 18k in the UK (before you start putting extras on)
                  Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineJim

« Reply #8 on: 2014-10-24 14:55:20 »
                    Noticed the other day that the cost of a Exclusive has gone up by £400 bringing it to £22800 on the road. Got mine March it was £400 cheaper.
                    2014 GTL Exclusive

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                      « Reply #9 on: 2014-10-24 16:23:00 »
                      At the current exchange rate the Exclusive is 27200 GBP over here  :( .
                      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineJim

« Reply #10 on: 2014-10-25 11:53:06 »
                        £27200 that's a lot of money for a motorcycle, for sure it's a lot of bike but still. Assume you have a high rate of purchase tax (VAT). Still it's all relative, earnings higher maybe?
                        2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineWildones

« Reply #11 on: 2014-10-25 21:45:36 »
                          Jim

I think Frank is talking euros

OfflineBob S

« Reply #12 on: 2014-10-26 10:38:57 »
                            Jim

No, Frank has done the maths correctly. They have a high luxury tax in the Netherlands so the prices are much higher than in the UK.
                            2012 K1600GT-SE

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                              « Reply #13 on: 2014-10-26 15:19:11 »
                              Jim

Nope. In euro's it's 34500.
                              We have 21% VAT and also a kind of 'luxury tax' for bikes and cars of almost 20%.
                              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineJim

« Reply #14 on: 2014-10-27 15:21:12 »
                                Do hope that earnings reflect the costs for luxury goods as if not they sure are a luxury.
                                2014 GTL Exclusive

anything