Author Topic: New bike  (Read 1139 times)

OfflineNdK1966

New bike
    « on: 2014-10-26 02:05:51 »
    Today I traded in my "old" K1600GT and took delivery of my new K1600GT in Blackstorm Metallic.

On riding home I immediately noticed that the ride was much smoother compared to the old bike. No driveline klunck and the gears changed much better.
    GS500E | VX800 | FXDC Dyna Glide Custom | SSR900 Superlight | Monster M900 | Monster S4 | Monster S4R | R1200GS | R1200GSA | K1600GT (2012) | K1600GT (2015)

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: New bike
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-10-26 15:26:41 »
      Congrats on the new bike. I've read that the tranny is one of the great improvements on the latest models.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineWildones

« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-26 21:57:40 »
        Congrats on new bike and see you've bought the new officially fastest colour

OfflineDavidMcK

« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-27 10:44:09 »

New 2015 Sport update and quality issues
          At the end of September I picked up (I think one of the first) 2015 K1600GT's to be produced. Mine is the Sport. I have now put 1,000 miles on it and it had its first service two weeks ago. Prior to this I had a K1600GT for two years.

My view so far:

1. Much nicer to ride, forgive the pun but it is like a "New Bike". Seriously, the gear box is slick and the engine seems to rev more freely. I normally rode in Dynamic mode but this bike is sweet in all the modes.

2. The side side stand is shorter and gives the bike a greater lean angle. You have to really think about it when you stop, any adverse camber gives you food for thought, its not much fun sitting on it and lifting it when it is leaned over too far.

3. Getting it onto the main stand is easier, I used to have to stand on the stand with both feet to pull the 2012 bike up, now I can push it up with one leg.

All in all a great improvement over my 2012 model.

Now the bad bits:

1. One of the auxiliary lights went after a week, which required a run to my local dealer for a new one.

2. The cradle that the Sat Nav fits into will not shut, I have to tape it down with gaffer tape to hold it, so that's going to be another trip to the dealer.

3. The Wonder Wheel has broken, pushing it to the left does nothing.

So the bike is excellent but BMW quality control does not seem to have improved. I am looking on the bright side at the moment and glad to get these "Shake down" bits fixed before the winter sets in. But I have to say I am disappointed at a New bike with three faults in three weeks.

I wish there were some Jap or other manufacture making good tourers to push BMW to improve the quality of their bikes.

Update to above:

Spring on the Sat Nav button is broken, you can push the button out from the inside.

Wonder wheel is stuffed, parts for both on order and should arrive next week for fitting.

OfflineWildones

« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-27 19:36:26 »
            Frank

Sorry got that wrong. I was aware higher cost of living but still surprised. Is it possible to buy elsewhere in Europe and import? Appreciate import tax would then kick in but would that save? Just a thought and forgive me if you've explored all options. As a matter of interest, I guess the resale values are proportionally high so
            " the bit in the middle " is possibly not so bad as seems

anything