Author Topic: Trading up.......  (Read 2866 times)

Offlinebeemerbaz

Trading up.......
    « on: 2014-11-23 20:23:25 »
    Might be trading in my 2013 90th Anniversary RT soon for a 2012 GT SE, my only reservations are that the K16 is twice the age and twice the mileage but I fancy the change, am I doing the right thing lol.

OfflineJim

Re: Trading up.......
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-11-23 21:23:39 »
      Not in my opinion, I had a 2011 GTLE and the build quality was not great nor was gearbox/drive train. Now have a 2014 Exclusive and the fit and finish is much better, the drivetrain and gearbox is in a different class. If it were me I would go for a 2014 or if cash don't allow I would hold on and save for a newer one. Well you did ask.
      2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2014-11-23 21:37:20 »
        Welcome on the forum.
        Don't worry too much about some of the 'horror stories' you read here. Yes, some people have had problems with their bike and they did make some changes to the '14 models but I have on of the earliest '11 models and have had no problem whatsoever; switches, gear box, drive line, waterpump or otherwise.
        Good luck with the switch and many safe miles.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #3 on: 2014-11-23 21:48:14 »
          I have the 2012 model - awesome, brilliant, fantastic.  That is all.....
          Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
            « Reply #4 on: 2014-11-24 08:44:41 »
            I'v been down your trail over the last 4 years. 1200RTSE to 1600GLTE to 1600Exclusive and now back to a 2014 1200RTLE. And the best of the lot, the last one by far. Lower, lighter, more economical, far superior suspension and drive chain and more goodies than my Exclusive had.  and your hands stay dry.
            « Last Edit: 2014-11-24 09:44:24 by RTman10 »

OfflineDavidMcK

« Reply #5 on: 2014-11-24 10:36:02 »
              Be careful.   My 2012 K16 overheated in 2013 when I took it to Europe and each day that I toured Europe this year.  I was fed up with this and changed it to a 2015 K16 Sport in September, I have 1,000 miles on the new bike and it has been back to the dealer for a new Auxiliary light, new left hand switch (wonder wheel broke) and a new Sat Nav mount (switch broken).  Its a lovely bike, but I am annoyed at the quality of components and the overheating problem.  I have had 3 RT's,the last was a 2010 model which had switchgear problems.

All these bikes are nice bikes, but when they are broken they are just lumps of expensive metal that have usually left you stranded.

OfflineWildones

« Reply #6 on: 2014-11-24 20:48:50 »
                RTman. As your login suggests - you are an RTman. Don't persuade all to change or we won't need this great forum. RT is a great bike but better suspension, wind protection ? Don't think so

As for origional poster. Buy as new as you can afford and the warranty will cover anything that may go wrong. 1600 is a fantastic bike to ride so go for it.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #7 on: 2014-11-24 21:30:45 »
                  RTman. As your login suggests - you are an RTman. Don't persuade all to change or we won't need this great forum. RT is a great bike but better suspension, wind protection ? Don't think so

As for origional poster. Buy as new as you can afford and the warranty will cover anything that may go wrong. 1600 is a fantastic bike to ride so go for it.
                  Each to his own but. Except for its warp speed turbine engine which I doubt any other bike can match Im convinced the RT is a better bike. Time will tell.

OfflineWildones

« Reply #8 on: 2014-11-24 22:19:17 »
                    You loved your 1600's. !!!   Bigger, faster, smoother,comfier

I believe many who switch from a 1600 to an RT do it mainly for a lighter bike and I can't argue with that and I completley understand this. However, assuming the weight is not a problem then why change ? The RTwas in a class of its own for many years and therefore no surprise it was the worlds number one touring bike. But things have changed because now there's the 1600. It does everything the RT did and more so who could ask for more?

I will give up my GTL someday no doubt probably when the weight of pushing it in and out of the garage proves near impossible and then I too will seek out a smaller version and possibly an RT. But as and when I do I will never forget the awesome 1600 yes with all its faults. When I stop at the lights on my RT and the windscreen almost shakes itself off and when the vibrations from the boxer engine make my whole body tingle I will look back and wish I could still handle a 1600. BMW introduced a big brother for the RT and for me it is better in most ways as was intended.

But in the end it is as you say - each to their own and the main thing is that we all love riding and the bond that true bikers have doesn't fade because we change makes or models. That's why you're still most welcome Mr RTman

OfflineBob S

« Reply #9 on: 2014-11-24 23:19:54 »
                      One area the RT lags behind on is pillion accommodation, the GT and GTL have much more room for rider and passenger than the RT does.
                      2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineOzMingo

« Reply #10 on: 2014-11-24 23:48:29 »
                        My RT put a grin on my face. My K16 gives me a permanent smile.
                        Gramps

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #11 on: 2014-11-25 09:46:46 »
                          Must admit one of the main reasons for reverting to an RT was weight, the other being the pillion seat.  The Exclusive seat was redesigned to make it more comfortable but for the pillion it just stuck them even higher up. I dont really miss the engine and my RT has very few vibes and feels as quick off the mark as the K. Its a bit of an ugly bugger though.
                          « Last Edit: 2014-11-25 12:31:34 by RTman10 »

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #12 on: 2014-11-25 13:44:15 »
                            One area the RT lags behind on is pillion accommodation, the GT and GTL have much more room for rider and passenger than the RT does.
                            [/quote
                            Now here's a thing.  Just measured the seats on a GT. Riders seat is 1" longer. Pillion seat is 1" shorter and 2" narrower. Im sure the GTL seat will be bigger as the top box is 35mm further back.  ]
                            « Last Edit: 2014-11-25 14:01:24 by RTman10 »

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #13 on: 2014-11-25 14:19:00 »
                              Buddy of mine has recently taken delivery of the new RT, again he says weight was a major consideration even tho he says the K16's engine is superb. So far he is more than happy with the RT, now riding it daily in preference to his Multistrada. He is very impressed with the RT's engine and handling, much much better than the old RT.

And that's the reason I changed to the K16, I found the steering on my old air cooled RT to be vague and had no confidence in it on wet roads, even trying different tyres.
                              1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

OfflineBob S

« Reply #14 on: 2014-11-25 14:44:17 »
                                [/quote
                                Now here's a thing.  Just measured the seats on a GT. Riders seat is 1" longer. Pillion seat is 1" shorter and 2" narrower. Im sure the GTL seat will be bigger as the top box is 35mm further back.  ]

I just go by how snug it was on our RT and how much more room I noticed with the GT when two up.
                                2012 K1600GT-SE