Author Topic: A very chuffed new owner!  (Read 4331 times)

OfflineThe Wolf

A very chuffed new owner!
    « on: 2014-11-29 22:08:11 »
    Hi everyone my names Steve, aka, The Wolf and I live in West Yorkshire. I picked up my new (to me) K16 GT SE today on an 11 plate with only 3500 miles on the clock and full BMW service history. Radio, audio system and sat nav fitted, even crash bars. To say I'm impressed is an understatement!

I've traded up from a Kawasaki 1400 GTR after owning a couple of them over the last few years and thoroughly enjoying them in the process having completed a few tours of Scotland and the North of England. No European tours (yet) as the wife isn't too keen on me leaving the country, maybe she thinks I wont come back.  :o

I get the impression I've a lot of familiarisation to do with the bike to learn how everything works but I'll get to grips with it over time.
    Well that's it basically, a brilliant forum which I've been skulking around on for a while.....lots of info on virtually everything I need to know.

Looking forward to a long friendship with the bike.  :)

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: A very chuffed new owner!
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-11-29 22:38:47 »
      Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.
      3500 miles is almost brand new.
      If you want to use all the bells and whistles the bike has to offer you really have to read the manual (and yes, I know it's big).
      Many safe and happy miles.

Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #2 on: 2014-11-29 22:55:43 »
        Welcome onto this site Stevie boy!

I will find lots more things for you to part your money from it's wallet  ;D;D;D;D

Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlinejqworle

« Reply #3 on: 2014-11-30 11:22:51 »
          Welcome from another relative noobie.
          Picked up my GT sport 2 weeks ago and love it ,though i am still getting used to the extra weight as i also came from a Kawasaki though a ZZR1400 for me.

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #4 on: 2014-11-30 22:58:50 »
            Thanks to all who have said hi.  Yes I will have to study the manual as I've no idea how half the stuff works. Far too many toys but not that I'm complaining!

I can thank Winston for encouraging me to see the light and make the switch from Kawasaki.  :) It goes without saying I've no regrets despite Winston trying to bankrupt me by telling me I need a few accessories.

And switching from a ZZR to the 16, that's quite a lifestyle change, what brought that on may I ask?

OfflineTony23

« Reply #5 on: 2014-12-03 12:25:47 »
              Welcome aboard.
              Had mine just over a year and can`t imagine riding anything else now.
              Whereabouts are you in UK?
              Get the wife on the pillion and over to Europe the K16 is perfect for those trips, you`ll love it in fact you`ll wonder why you didn`t do it years ago.

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #6 on: 2014-12-03 15:46:28 »
                Tony, hi, I'm in West Yorkshire.

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #7 on: 2014-12-13 11:19:15 »
                  It seems the Kawasaki 1400 engine (ZZR or GTR) is the nursery slope for entry to the K1600!
                  Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #8 on: 2014-12-13 11:57:06 »
                    It seems the Kawasaki 1400 engine (ZZR or GTR) is the nursery slope for entry to the K1600!

As you once told me, it's the natural progression. How right you were.  :)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #9 on: 2014-12-13 14:14:58 »
                      All we need to do now is introduce a certain Versys owner.....roflmao!!

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #10 on: 2014-12-13 16:12:28 »
                        All we need to do now is introduce a certain Versys owner.....roflmao!!

You and I know quite clearly Chris that that aint never gonna happen!  ;)

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #11 on: 2014-12-13 21:40:04 »
                          These motorway munchers wouldn't appeal....I am an old git don't you know...

Offlinejqworle

« Reply #12 on: 2014-12-14 00:21:52 »
                            Wolf the change from ZZR1400 to the K1600 was mainly brought about by SWMBO wanting a more comfortable ride and partly by needing to keep my license clean. The K16 was the only bike that floated my boat after many test rides of different bikes but I do miss the power and should she decide to stop coming out I may go back to the bigZ.
                            Winston the big Z is definitely not a nursery slope the K16 is more a regression to something more normal.
                            « Last Edit: 2014-12-14 00:26:11 by jqworle »

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #13 on: 2014-12-14 22:48:12 »
                              Wolf the change from ZZR1400 to the K1600 was mainly brought about by SWMBO wanting a more comfortable ride and partly by needing to keep my license clean. The K16 was the only bike that floated my boat after many test rides of different bikes but I do miss the power and should she decide to stop coming out I may go back to the bigZ.
                              Winston the big Z is definitely not a nursery slope the K16 is more a regression to something more normal.

lol!  Steve and I have history! 

I have ridden (and owned) the 1400's and been privileged to test the same.  The K16 is not a regression to normal - trust me!

It is not a SuperSport agreed, but in the world of Sport/Tourers or Grand Tourers it is in a different league.

Normal by hyper sport - maybe?

Normal in general terms - No.

Learn to throw it around and it is as good as anything on the road.  Big thing with it is that it doesn't do it in a rush like the 1400 engine, or the Honda CBR1100XX or the FJR1300 - it seems almost lazy in delivery until you look at the speedo!

OfflineWildones

« Reply #14 on: 2014-12-15 22:20:27 »
                                Hi Steve and welcome

Hope you're liking the new bike. If you need any help feel free to let me know, I'm in Baildon so close by

Regards Ian