Author Topic: Winteriezing  (Read 1891 times)

OfflineCruise Missile

Winteriezing
    « on: 2014-11-30 16:23:26 »
    Hi, I am new to the BMW world and would like to ask the members, how and what they do to winterize their bikes? I have treated the fuel and ran the bike, but I would like to "fog" the intake. How do you access the air cleaner? Does anyone remove each plug and fog each or just through the intake? I just changed the oil and filter and changed the final drive as well. This is a new and expensive investment and I would like to make sure that when I turn the key in the spring that she fires right up. The bike came with the battery tender hook up witch I have already have charging. Any tips would be helpful, Thanks.

Offlinee7navy1999

Re: Winteriezing
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-11-30 17:13:52 »
      I just start mine up every 1-2 weeks and let her run until the fan comes on.  About 10 minutes.  Never had any issues.  On the really cold cold weeks I do use the battery tender.  Below 0 F for more than a few weeks expected.  It is kept in a closed unheated garage no outside

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2014-11-30 21:08:56 »
        All I do with mine is put it away in the garage clean and dry and start it up every so often till fan comes on then off then on and off again, don't do any more than that. If needed then will hook up a tender but never needed to do that in the three years of BMW ownership, however my Suzuki and Yamaha do require the tender just to keep the batteries up where they should be.
        2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineCruise Missile

« Reply #3 on: 2014-12-02 22:38:23 »
          Thanks for the advise. I am going out to the garage to fire her up and dream of spring.

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #4 on: 2014-12-03 15:23:07 »
            I ride.  8) The only thing that keeps my bike in the garage is snow and black ice. Low temperatures don't keep me from riding. I paid for the heated grips and seat so I might as well use it  ;D

Offlineterry

« Reply #5 on: 2014-12-03 16:33:22 »
              Surfman you get my vote. 8)
              Past: Triumh Rocket tourer 2300. K1600 GTL blue. Present: Honda Pan European ST1300, K1600 GTL silver.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2014-12-03 16:37:03 »
                I ride.  8) The only thing that keeps my bike in the garage is snow and black ice. Low temperatures don't keep me from riding. I paid for the heated grips and seat so I might as well use it  ;D
                Same here. The bike only stays inside with snow, black ice or when there is a lot of salt on the roads. When it's inside, it's in a heated garage.
                Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineBob S

« Reply #7 on: 2014-12-04 01:43:33 »
                  Same as Surfman here, the bike is used all year apart from when there is ice and snow about.
                  2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineWolfe Tone

• 2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
                    « Reply #8 on: 2014-12-23 10:33:56 »
                    As with previous advice, once the K16 is kept in a shed or garage, it should be sufficient to start it up once a week or every second week for a few minutes. Preferably, take it for a quick run, if the weather permits, every couple of weeks too.   But don't get it dirty ! ;)     I also keep mine covered to protect it from dust and the elements. 
                    I am lucky to have a "winter hack" - a 2001 Honda Blackbird in fab condition with only 11,500 miles.   ;D    I use it every day in the winter on my commute to work (unless there's snow or ice) and love riding it. It's nice to get on a "small" bike  ;) with no frills or luggage and it's great for getting through the traffic.  8)   
                    Éireann go Bráth.