Author Topic: Gas smell after long rides  (Read 1483 times)

OfflinePete5001

Gas smell after long rides
    « on: 2014-12-03 19:21:16 »
    Hi everyone, I am a new owner of a 2012 GTL.  I rode it for few months in Canada without any problems.  Last month, I rode it down to Florida where I stay all winter.  I now get a strong smell of gas after long hot rides.  I brought it to a BMW motorrad dealer in Fort Lauderdale who could not figure out the issue.  He said the smell seemed to come from the vent pipe under the bike.  He said US models were different and did not have this issue.  Anyway, I am a little frustrated to have the flagship bike from the best brand and my garage smells like a gas station.  Good thing I don't smoke!  Has anyone had any issues like this? Pete
    Pete5001 2012 k1600GTL

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Gas smell after long rides
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-12-03 19:41:19 »
      The US models have a charcoal canister that is to trap fuel emissions from the fuel tank. Not sure whether the Can models have it too. The line to the canister might be disconnected, the fuel tank could of been overfilled thus letting raw fuel into the canister thus spoiling it?
      Just some options..
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflinePete5001

« Reply #2 on: 2014-12-03 20:05:44 »
        Thanks for the reply.  According to the mechanic in Ft Lauderdale, The Canadian bikes do not have the charcoal canister.  I filled it up, went for a 3 hour ride then straight to the dealer.  It had about 1/3rd left in the tank.
        Pete5001 2012 k1600GTL

OnlineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
        • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
          • Homepage
        « Reply #3 on: 2014-12-04 08:30:33 »
        Pete

This is not to uncommon.
        Often in this cases there is found a leak where the fuel-tube is connected to the gas tank.
        There is a modification for this out.
        Look at the image:
        ** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

anything