Author Topic: Norway  (Read 3822 times)

Offlinemccartn

Norway
    « on: 2014-12-29 14:27:51 »
    well
    I'm planning  trip to North Cape in Norway next year.
    Trying to figure out best accommodation and easiest way to get to Norway from Ireland
    Has anyone out there done this trip before. Any suggestions appreciated
    Regards
    Neil
    Neil

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Norway
      « Reply #1 on: 2014-12-29 15:11:44 »
      If someone has tips (Steinar?) I'm interested as well.
      I'm planning to go to the Nordkapp in 2016 with a mate of mine who will retire in the beginning of 2016.  I'm already retired so I have the time to do the planning.
      Option is to go up along the East side of Sweden and come down the West side of Norway and take time to see the fjords.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2014-12-29 15:57:47 »
        Sounds very nice, one day maybe
        2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineWildones

« Reply #3 on: 2014-12-29 19:45:50 »
          Neil, pretty sure no ferry now from UK to Norway so that means ferry to Denmark then ride via Sweden or cross to Holland and ride through northern Germany then Denmark then Sweden and into Norway

OfflineBob S

« Reply #4 on: 2014-12-29 22:22:08 »
            No ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg now as DFDS shut that down at the end of September. There is a Harwich to Hook of Holland ferry which gets you a bit closer to Northern Germany and Denmark and then it is either using the Oresund crossing to get into Sweden then drive up into Norway or drive to Hirtshals in Denmark and get a ferry to either Larvik or Kristiansand.
            2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #5 on: 2014-12-30 00:02:37 »
              Or Hull to Europoort to get to continent initially - maybe easier from Ireland - straight across M62
              Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

OnlineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
              • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
                • Homepage
              « Reply #6 on: 2014-12-31 09:36:09 »
              I'm in Wien - Austria and back in Norway 4' Jan. Will look into it when home again.
              STeinar
              ** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #7 on: 2014-12-31 10:22:38 »
                Steinar, thanks in advance! No rush, there is still time  ;)
                Have fun in Wien.
                « Last Edit: 2014-12-31 10:29:14 by FP-NLD »
                Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinemccartn

« Reply #8 on: 2015-01-05 02:00:12 »
                  Thanks for the Advise. My plan at this stage is to go via Harwich to Holland to Hamburg and ferry then from Puttgarden to Rødbyhavn in Denmark. Travel up the center and come down the west coast.
                  Neil

OfflineWildones

« Reply #9 on: 2015-01-07 22:52:52 »
                    Thanks for the Advise. My plan at this stage is to go via Harwich to Holland to Hamburg and ferry then from Puttgarden to Rødbyhavn in Denmark. Travel up the center and come down the west coast.

Neil, another thought for you to check out. A BMW dealer group are doing Norway this year. Bikes will be flown out to Oslo from Manchester and riders fly out from leeds to join bikes. Could you do similar from Ireland ?

Another thought - why not ferry from Hull as its nearer for you. It's dearer than Harwich but includes accomodation. Approx £270 return at present and sail into Rotterdam

OfflineRhanich

« Reply #10 on: 2015-02-01 15:34:18 »
                      I'm off to Norway this August, ferry from Newcastle to Amsterdam, up to Hirtshals, Denmark, ferry to Bergen, then ride about, wherever. Back via Oslo, ferry to Copenhagen and then back to Amsterdam, with a stop somewhere. Newcastle back up to the Highlands of Scotland.
                      Great hotel deals on the internet, the hostels look good too.
                      Why Worry

Offlinenemo

« Reply #11 on: 2015-02-01 22:56:30 »
                        My first trip to Nordkapp in 2009 was wonderful. At that time we were two friends on GS and RT. We made approx 10.000 kilometers in 16 days. From Ljubljana (Slovenia) we rode to Villach (Austria),took Deutche Bahn to Hamburg and then rode to Skagen (Denmark),took car ferry to Kristiansand and rode north. We enjoyed riding through beautiful country side and reached Nordkapp according to the route plan. The weather was good till Tromso, after we had rain, clouds, wind most of the time of our way back through Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Austria.
                        In 2013 I made it to Nordkapp second time. My wish to see the sun touching the horizon came true. The route was almost the same as that one in 2009. My wife was travelling with me, both on GT. In 2009 she was convinced that she is not strong enough to travel on the bike that far. But in 2012 we made approx 4000 kilometers trip across the Alps and from that time she knows she is capable to do more than one week routes.
                        I would be happy to share any information with anyone interested.

« Last Edit: 2015-02-01 23:08:56 by nemo »

Offlinemccartn

« Reply #12 on: 2015-02-15 01:59:04 »
                          Hi Nemo
                          many thanks. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Am booking ferries ferries Harwich to Amsterdam,  Hirtshals, Denmark, to Bergen, then and after that who knows. Any info on Accommodation greatly appreciated
                          Regards
                          Neil
                          Neil

Offlinenemo

« Reply #13 on: 2015-02-16 20:48:22 »
                            Hi, mccartn,

regarding accommodation I have never experience any problem during our travel in early July. We usually spent the night in campingsite and always took hytte wooden little house with heating, simple kitchen and sometimes with bathroom too. Usually we booked next hytte in the morning for the same day.
                            We took ferry from Hirsthals to Kristiansand to climb Preikestolen (Pulpit rock). For this location I made reservation month or so before arrival. We visited Bergen next day.
                            If you have not made route plan yet, I can e_mail you my track log to make work easier.

Regards
                            Paul

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                              « Reply #14 on: 2015-02-16 21:56:02 »
                              Nemo,
                              I'm also interested in your experiences and the route you took.