Author Topic: Dirt in Caliper  (Read 1796 times)

Offlinechris_uk

Dirt in Caliper
    « on: 2015-01-04 10:18:25 »
    My fabulous K16 now has 1100 miles on it and was in at the main dealer for new front discs, pitting was discovered on the 600 mile service so they were replaced under warranty.

As they were changing them I was called for more work to be authorised, there was a build up of dirt in the front callipers that was apparently impeding performance. The bill wasn't massive, £62, but it does seem strange that it was needed.

I had jet washed the bike a number of times in my 4 weeks of ownership and obviously road/motorway miles.

I do feel miffed that they didn't just clean them, esp as I had bought the bike from them.

What do people do to keep them clean?
    « Last Edit: 2015-01-13 21:23:18 by chris_uk »

Offlinee7navy1999

Re: Dirt in Calliper
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-01-04 16:22:34 »
      honestly i have never had dirt build up on my calipers.  In fact I just flushed the fluid before winter.  I drive about 12,000US Miles per year on her.  Mostly highway.  I am wondering if you had a slow brake fluid leak?  The break fluid would without a doubt cause the road dust to build up significantly near and around the calipers.  Just a guess?  let me know.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2015-01-04 19:02:11 »
        I do not recall having seen dirt in the calipers but I've never specifically looked for it.
        On the other hand, if it were there I would probably have noticed during tyre changes.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
          « Reply #3 on: 2015-01-04 20:57:20 »
          I was riding several thousands of km through nasty weather on dirty roads, but never had any problem with this. Strange...
          Did you see the dirt yourself, or did they just tell you about it?
          It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
            « Reply #4 on: 2015-01-05 09:18:56 »
            In my dealership cleaning the callipers is part of a normal service and £62 to clean something they had already removed seems excessive.  Having said that the book tells you not to jet wash such parts as you can force dirt past the seals. Maybe that's what they found.   

OfflineWinston Smith

« Reply #5 on: 2015-01-05 16:13:46 »
              Jet washing can also blast into seals and remove grease from bearings too
              Four is fun.  Six is sex.  I Dream of a World where Chickens can Cross the Road without having their Motives Questioned

Offlinechris_uk

Re: Dirt in Caliper
                « Reply #6 on: 2015-01-10 09:29:29 »
                No, didn't see it, but had no reason to doubt them.

Having said that, having bought a 20K bike from them, then having to go in to have new disc's fitted under warranty due to pitting (found at 600 mile service),I feel they should of simply done it.

I'll be having it serviced elsewhere in the future.

« Last Edit: 2015-01-13 21:23:46 by chris_uk »

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #7 on: 2015-01-10 15:56:39 »
                  Chris, did you discuss the charge with them when you collected your bike irrespective of the fact that you had authorised the work over the phone? It's possible the service manager may have disregarded the fee considering the minimal work which would have been involved and the fact that your bike was virtually new. The company I used, to service my previous bike, a 1400 GTR always used to clean the callipers as standard.

Offlinechris_uk

Re: Dirt in Caliper
                    « Reply #8 on: 2015-01-12 21:44:09 »
                    Hi Wolf,

Yes I fought my corner with the Service Manager but he was having none of it. Downstairs is a Harley Dealer whom I had dealings with for 12 years with nothing but praise and outstanding service.

Not so with the BMW dept upstairs - the service department that is - sales were top draw. Not a brilliant start to my ownership experience.

Fortunately there is another dealer in Manchester which isn't far from me, fingers crossed with them!
                    « Last Edit: 2015-01-13 21:24:21 by chris_uk »

OfflineBob S

« Reply #9 on: 2015-01-13 02:46:05 »
                      It seems you might have to go above the service managers head to the dealer principle and see what he/she has to say. I can't see how dirt would build up in the callipers after such a low mileage and it seems they may have been trying to make up for the lower rate they get paid for labour on warranty work. A Harley and BMW dealer? That must be Chester?
                      2012 K1600GT-SE

anything