Author Topic: PANNIER PROTECTION BARS - at half the price  (Read 3883 times)

OfflineWolfe Tone

• 2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
    PANNIER PROTECTION BARS - at half the price
    « on: 2015-01-08 10:21:50 »
    I know there have been a few topics about these before. And judging from other members' comments it's a case of weighing up the protection offered against possible discomfort for pillions.  Then there's the price to consider - Wunderlich price is around $406 (or €340 = GB£270) which is big money for a shaped metal bar !!!  But there is an alternative from China which is HALF that price - $220 (or €165 = GB£130.  I know what some bikers say about Chinese parts but I have purchased adjustable levers, indicators, tank pads and loads of other stuff for previous bikes and never had any problem.   You'll find them on eBay...Here's a link https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=141491607169
    I bought them and they arrived in a few days by courier - FREE delivery too !!!  They seem to be great quality and identical to the Wunderlich ones. Just hope they are never tested !!!!
    Éireann go Bráth.

OfflineThe Wolf

Re: PANNIER PROTECTION BARS - at half the price
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-01-09 21:15:12 »
      Are they just for the GTL or do they also fit the GT? Apologies if this is a stupid question, I'm new to the bike and aren't sure what the similarities are in respect of specific fixing points on the two models of the K1600.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2015-01-09 21:38:12 »
        GT and GTL are identical on this point.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
          « Reply #3 on: 2015-01-09 22:33:32 »
          Consider this.  The crash bars have 2 connecting points and are rigid bits of kit.  The panniers have 3 points of contact and have some flex in them.  In my 1600 career I managed to test their ability to save the bike from very expensive damage twice, although both times at  a stand still.  Yes the lids were marked both times but a bit of paint fixed them. Crash bars are not going to save a bike if its moving and will probably cause more damage than they would stop. One thing I can guarantee is drop one with the panniers left in the shed and the bill will be huge.

Offlineblokeonthemove

« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-11 11:46:18 »
            I had the misfortune to come off my old K1200 GT in Switzerland and the pannier saved the bike from very expensive damage and also the plastic fairing took all of the skid damage leaving the engine untouched.

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
              « Reply #5 on: 2015-01-11 12:40:31 »
              Consider this.  The crash bars have 2 connecting points and are rigid bits of kit.  The panniers have 3 points of contact and have some flex in them.  In my 1600 career I managed to test their ability to save the bike from very expensive damage twice, although both times at  a stand still.  Yes the lids were marked both times but a bit of paint fixed them. Crash bars are not going to save a bike if its moving and will probably cause more damage than they would stop. One thing I can guarantee is drop one with the panniers left in the shed and the bill will be huge.
              The crash bars have 3 connecting points, not 2.
              You might find them ugly but they really do the job. I've seen pictures of a crashed bike at 55 mph and the bars were damaged but not bent.
              « Last Edit: 2015-02-08 10:04:50 by FP-NLD »
              Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineWildones

« Reply #6 on: 2015-01-11 14:15:56 »
                A CAUTIONARY MATTER TO CONSIDER

I believe the principal purpose of any crash bars is primarily to protect the passengers in a crash at speed and secondary to that is to protect the bike itself. Secondly because a bike like the 1600 is so heavy and as such is relatively easy to drop on its side at low or NO speed it's good to have crash bars but in this instance of very low or no speed I believe that the principal purpose of the crash bars is to protect the bike and the secondary purpose is to protect the passengers ?   OR Is there a secondary purpose in this situation.

Anyway to the purpose of this post and my warning. I was unfortunate to drop the bike at less than 5 mph with rider and pillion and fully loaded. I was unhurt and the bike was protected well at the front due to Altrider bars but the rear of bike was damaged. The very worst of all was that my wife got badly hurt !!  As the bike was falling she tried to put her leg out to protect herself and that was an automatic and understandable think to do as it was an instinct to her to help herself avoid injury. As a result the pannier landed on top of her leg and crushed it under the bike. Didn't break her leg but she got something I'd not previously heard of which was a bone bruise. That is almost broken but badly damaged bone. Within seconds her whole lower leg went black and today, which is some six months later her leg is still not fully healed even with physio help.

Subsequent research by me and comments from medical experts state that this is a common injury for pillion riders on bikes with side panniers - mostly in no speed or low speed drops I must state and not high speed.

Anyway this leads me to be concerned for pillions if you were to fit rear crash bars. I don't doubt they would help at high speed crashes but at low or no speed if the pillion was trapped by the bars I think they would do far more damage than the side case does as its a much smaller surface area of much harder material.

Not scientific I accept but a worthwhile thought for those thinking about rear crash bars ? I think so

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                  « Reply #7 on: 2015-01-11 15:42:38 »
                  With the rear crash bars fitted nothing will happen to your or the pillion's legs in a high, low or no speed drop, provided they keep their feet on the pegs.
                  That's key. Natural reaction though is to try and break your fall as you go down. So it's something you have to force yourself to do in a split second situation, which is hard as you can't train this sort of thing.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                    « Reply #8 on: 2015-01-11 16:25:27 »
                    I agree with Wildone. Being pinned down by a large plastic lid is likely to be far less damaging than a solid steel bar. As their name implies they are pannier protectors not leg protectors. And replacement lids are easily replaced.

OfflineWildones

« Reply #9 on: 2015-01-11 16:31:11 »
                      With the rear crash bars fitted nothing will happen to your or the pillion's legs in a high, low or no speed drop, provided they keep their feet on the pegs.
                      That's key. Natural reaction though is to try and break your fall as you go down. So it's something you have to force yourself to do in a split second situation, which is hard as you can't train this sort of thing.

Frank

I agree with what you say 100%. And that's the problem because what you say about natural reaction is spot on and that caused the problem. Don't know if it's even possible to condition someone to not do that and especially my wife who is now reluctant to go on bike again and is frightened

OfflineWolfe Tone

« Reply #10 on: 2015-01-12 10:49:47 »
                        As RT Man correctly pointed out - they are "Pannier Protectors" not to be confused with crash bars. I think anyone who decides to fit them would be doing so more in the fear of dropping the bike from a standstill or very slow manoeuvering.
                         I appreciate everyone's comments, advice and even warnings (thanks Wildones and hope the wife make a full recovery) and am glad I joined the Forum. Although I have a set of the protectors, I will take all your comments on board before I decide whether to fit them.
                        « Last Edit: 2015-01-12 10:52:32 by Wolfe Tone »
                        Éireann go Bráth.

OfflineWildones

« Reply #11 on: 2015-01-12 14:24:20 »
                          Wolfe Tone

Firstly many thanks for your kind wishes regarding my wife. Secondly please be assured that I'm not suggesting not to fit the bars but simply to make all riders who carry pillions be aware of the dangers. When carrying pillion it may be a good idea to brief them on what to do in event of a fall, especially at low or no speed and then hope they can do it for real should the need arise

All the best Ian

OfflineWolfe Tone

« Reply #12 on: 2015-01-12 14:41:20 »
                            Ian (Wildones),
                            I totally understand and appreciate the point you made. At the end of the day, we are all just bikers offering our advice from personal (sometimes painful) experience and it's up to each individual to make his/her decision based on that advice.
                            I will probably try the pannier protectors on the bike, check if they impede my pillion (the missus!) in any way. Based on your advice, I will definitely check the possibility of them pinning her leg in the dreaded event of the bike tipping over. A difficult thing to predict....
                            Best wishes to you both for 2015 and safe riding.
                            Éireann go Bráth.

Offlinewgm

« Reply #13 on: 2015-02-08 02:40:04 »
                              hello to all I have a 2014 GTLE and found out last month in a ice storm in up state new York that I wished I had pannier protection bars , some of these parts are up there I new know that BMW means bring my wallet

OfflineWolfe Tone

« Reply #14 on: 2015-02-09 11:22:23 »
                                  Thanks to all the advice and various arguements about fitting or not fitting.  Taking everything into account, I fitted the pannier protecton bars and they do not impede my pillion (I suppose it all depends on the pillion's height/leg length etc). They look okay too. Hopefully I will never have to try them out !
                                Éireann go Bráth.

anything