Author Topic: Arm-rests on GTL Exclusive  (Read 1897 times)

OfflineWolfe Tone

• 2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
    Arm-rests on GTL Exclusive
    « on: 2015-01-08 13:30:00 »
    Only a minor problem, thankfully, but I wonder if there is any way to tighten or keep the arm-rests in the down position when no pillion is being carried?  ???
    Éireann go Bráth.

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
      Re: Arm-rests on GTL Exclusive
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-01-08 20:12:42 »
      As far as I know - no. This has security reasons: if your pillion needs to get "off" in an emergency, it has to move. Or if you get hit from the back and bounce against it and it's not moving - ouch.
      I'm sure there are ways how to fix it somehow with straps or something else - but I'm not sure I would do it.
      I removed my armrests, they are waiting in the garage for the next longer trip with my wife.

On the other hand: what's the reason why you want to fix it? My armrests stay down even when driving on the Autobahn.
      It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineWolfe Tone

« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-08 21:27:33 »
        Many thanks for your reply, HD Beemer. But your last line is exactly why I posted the topic - mine do NOT stay down and fly back up as soon as I speed up.   Not a huge problem but a little annoying at the same time.
        And, yes, I can understand why they should not be "locked" permanently in a down position.  But they seem too loose at the swivel point and I was just wondering if I am missing something or if there's a "knack" to them before I try tighten the allen-key bolts slightly.    :-[ 
        Éireann go Bráth.

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
          « Reply #3 on: 2015-01-08 22:39:30 »
          Maybe you could try to tighten screw #7 (see pic). Not sure if this works - my armrests are currently stored in the garage and I can't go and check. Hope this helps
          It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineWolfe Tone

« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-09 10:19:18 »
            Thanks again, HD Beemer.  And really appreciate the diagram - very helpful (If that's just the design for the arm-rest, no wonder the bike costs so much!!!  :D ).   Will try tighten the nuts  ;) 
            Éireann go Bráth.

anything