Author Topic: Helmets  (Read 8773 times)

OfflineVmo9

Helmets
    « on: 2015-01-09 03:46:23 »
    I need to upgrade my helmet and have been looking at Schuberth (I've been told they sell a color matching model for the K1200GTL Exclusive) and the new Skully (in black or white): https://www.skullysystems.com/#smartest-helmet

Any recommendations or thoughts? The Skully looks fairly impressive, although not a proven product yet.

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
      Re: Helmets
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-01-09 08:28:13 »
      Schuberth are not cheap, but excellent combination of quality, security and comfort. This is also confirmed in regular tests in the magazines. I've had different models and was always very happy with it (btw: the BMW helmets are manufactured by Schuberth as well, although with slightly different specs). But more important than the brand is the "fit", i.e. if your head is "compatible" with the shape of the helmet. Some people can't use Schuberth's because of that. I recommend to test it for at least 30min before you decide.
      Can't say anything about the skully - never saw one.
      It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OnlineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2015-01-09 14:17:34 »
        Most important is that the helmet has a good fit. Brand is less important as long as it is a well known helmet and not some Chinese knock off.
        I used to have a Schuberth C2 and when I needed a new one I went for the C3, but that had a different fit and gave me a headache in 5 minutes. So I switched to the BMW System 6 Evo.
        BTW HDBeemer: if you think the Schuberth is expensive you better not look at the Skully  :o .
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
          « Reply #3 on: 2015-01-09 15:06:35 »
          BTW HDBeemer: if you think the Schuberth is expensive you better not look at the Skully  :o .
          I read the webpage and watched the interview. Quite interesting product with lots of innovations. But I think at the moment this is something for the early adopters - I like new gadgets, but not if it's relevant for my own safety. So I'll probably skip 1-2 generations before it matures - but I will keep an eye on it.
          It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
            « Reply #4 on: 2015-01-09 15:35:29 »
            I use a System 6 Evo having had System 3, 4 and 5s before.  The Evo is much quieter than the Schubert and takes headsets much easier.  Also much cheaper with a 2 year warranty.

OfflineBob S

« Reply #5 on: 2015-01-09 15:53:49 »
              I had a system 6 and went to the Schuberth C3 which was a better helmet, quieter and better constructed than the S6. I have recently purchased a C3 Pro which takes things to another level in fit, quietness and comfort.
              « Last Edit: 2015-01-16 19:31:17 by Bob S »
              2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #6 on: 2015-01-09 21:03:11 »
                I'm in the market for a new lid and currently use a C3 but was planning on getting a System 6. The C3 is extremely quiet and comfortable and I've tried the System 6 and it seems comparable. When I get a new lid in the next few weeks I'm pretty sure it'll be a System 6.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #7 on: 2015-01-09 22:01:37 »
                  Just make sure its an Evo.  There are still a few of the original System 6s around at discounted prices but they all have a less than waterproof visor. I have owned both versions and the Evo is a far superior helmet.

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #8 on: 2015-01-09 22:03:46 »
                    Apologies, yes I meant to say the Evo. They seem to be a consistent price of £420 at the dealers. Unless you know somewhere where I can get a cheaper one.... ;)

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #9 on: 2015-01-09 22:08:42 »
                      My dealer Pidcock's have been known to give 10% discount on them if they have them in stock.  That type of discount should be available from most dealers.

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #10 on: 2015-01-09 23:22:52 »
                        That's always worth knowing, many thanks. 

Offlineblkfalc4

« Reply #11 on: 2015-01-10 14:57:59 »
                          Well as for the OP being in the US, BMW helmets are not sold here, as far as I know.

Me and the wife use Schuberth C3 Pros and are very pleased with them.

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #12 on: 2015-01-16 18:30:30 »
                            I bought a System 6 Evo today from Allan Jeffries at Shipley in West Yorks. I even got a bit of discount which made the deal even sweeter.  ;)

Two year warranty as has been mentioned above, that's a good incentive. The sales chap said that although the System 6 is produced by Schuberth it is designed by BMW and the only component which is included on both helmets is the strap fastening mechanism. So basically they are two totally different helmets, if that's the case.

OfflineRTman10

« Reply #13 on: 2015-01-16 18:41:12 »
                              Not even the strap fastener. Same system but the BM is a chuncky black thing.  The Schubert one is smaller and looks like its made of tin. Make sure that when you adjust the strap you do it from both sides to ensure the fastener stays central. Also don't be tempted to raise the sun visor by just pushing it up. Always use the lever or you can damage the mechanism .
                              « Last Edit: 2015-01-16 18:44:32 by RTman10 »

OfflineWildones

« Reply #14 on: 2015-01-16 20:38:15 »
                                Wolf, have two of these and yes made by Schuberth but very different in how they fit I think you'll find. Do you live local to Allan Jefferies ?

anything