Author Topic: Excited  (Read 2358 times)

Offlinejohnray

Excited
    « on: 2015-02-06 20:51:44 »
    Hello to all you fellow two wheelers. Just placed a deposit on a 2014 Exclusive which I'm looking forward to enjoying in the coming months. I've alway ridden BMW RT's and in 2013 fancied a change and got a HD Road King Classic. The HD is a lovely bike but whenever I was on the motorway riding up and down between Yorkshire and London I found myself missing the weather protection of my Beemer. The K1600 is a big bike and I'm only 5'8". For all you guys who are riding this beautiful beast, do you think this will be an easy transition getting back on the Beemer? Any pointers will be appreciated.
    R1100RT, R1150RT, HD Road King Classic, K1600 GTL Exclusive.

OfflineWildones

Re: Excited
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-02-06 21:12:35 »
      Hello and welcome.  Considering what you've ridden previously I don't think the transition will be difficult. Compared to the RT you will notice the increased weight but that's only when stationery. Once moving you should be pleasantly surprised how well this beast handles and when fully used to it you can really throw them around. You'll also love the smoothness of the engine. The wind protection looks better than the RT however you may find over time that you need to add some extras to improve it and there's lots of info on here about different screens and Aerowings etc etc. your height will suit the GTL and you should be able to,plant both feet on the ground.  Hope you love the new bike and if you need any help or info just ask.

All best Ian

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-06 22:17:31 »
        Hi, I'm a relative newcomer myself to the BMW range having bought a GTSE a few months ago. Its a heavy bike but very manageable even at slow speeds such as walking pace. I've found the weather protection to be good, I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy your new steed. 

Offlinejohnray

« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-07 01:19:41 »
          Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Having checked the weight, it's actually lighter than my HD by a few pounds. I'm so looking forward to this bike.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
            « Reply #4 on: 2015-02-07 10:42:37 »
            I have also trodden your tracks, 1100,1150,1200,GTLE,Exclusive and finally back to 1200RT.
            The Exclusive is an amazing machine but did not suit me as well as the GTLE. The seat is probably the most comfortable I have ever owned but for the pillion it was too high. The extra 15kg also did not help.  Weather protection is good but in my opinion not as good as the current 1200RT. Make sure you put some protection on the pannier lids. Replacement cost is huge due to the painted finish. 
            « Last Edit: 2015-02-07 21:09:41 by RTman10 »

OfflineJim

« Reply #5 on: 2015-02-07 12:26:11 »
              Hi, relatively new to BMW having come from sport 1000s and FJRs, have however owned GTLE and since April last year a Exclusive. No getting away from the fact it's a heavy beast but only at walking pace, as for wind protection it's ok, not fantastic, for me on the front it was my shoulders that caught the wind, having fitted a set of wings this has decreased somewhat but the good lady on the back gets it full on in the face being so high, going to try the mini wings also and see how that goes.

Sure you will love your new bike, I know I do.
              2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
                « Reply #6 on: 2015-02-07 17:25:01 »
                Enjoy the new bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Just enjoy it!

OfflineWildones

« Reply #7 on: 2015-02-07 20:32:45 »
                  Jim. I am led to believe that mini wings do not help the pillion and only the rider. I'm not saying this as a fact as I don't know but I would be grateful to you if you do fit them to give some feedback as to do they help pillion or not

Cheers Ian

Offlinejohnray

« Reply #8 on: 2015-02-08 01:01:05 »
                    I have also trodden your tracks, 1100,1150,1200,GTLE,Exclusive and finally back to 1200RT.
                    The Exclusive is an amazing machine but did not suit me as well as the GTLE. The seat is probably the most comfortable I have ever owned but for the pillion it was too high. The extra 15kg also did not help.  Weather protection is good but in my opinion not as good as the current 1200RT. Make sure you put some protection on the pannier lids. Replacement cost is huge due to the painted finish.

What sort of protection do you suggest?

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
                      « Reply #9 on: 2015-02-08 11:50:45 »
                      There's the expensive, slightly ugly bar one, the very cheap Halfords solution or the BMW protectors.  Full details and pros and cons are discussed in minute detail on this forum. I use the inexpensive Halfords option.

Offlinejohnray

« Reply #10 on: 2015-02-08 14:43:42 »
                        There's the expensive, slightly ugly bar one, the very cheap Halfords solution or the BMW protectors.  Full details and pros and cons are discussed in minute detail on this forum. I use the inexpensive Halfords option.

Thanks. Will take a close look.  :o

OfflineJim

« Reply #11 on: 2015-02-08 17:37:32 »
                          Ian,

The bike is tucked up at present, if/when I fit mini wings I will let you know what difference if any they make.
                          2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineWildones

« Reply #12 on: 2015-02-08 17:50:16 »

Yes the choice is as RTman suggests. FWIW although the BMW ones are a bit pricey they fit and look good and in my opinion offer the best protection of them all

OfflineWolfe Tone

• 2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
                              « Reply #13 on: 2015-02-09 11:16:07 »
                              Best of luck, JohnRay, with the new bike. I got the Exclusive last October and love it. Don't have a problem with the weight of the bike as I can plant both feet firmly on the ground when manoeuvering and once it's on the move it handles great. I actually have no problem with wind buffering and neither has my pillion (the missus). My only problem is with the screen in the rain - Had to lower it in heavy rain for visibility which meant the pillion lost the wind protection too. My dealer suggested that the screen from the RT (shaped differently with cut-out) may solve that.
                               Coming from a Harley, I would suggest that you be careful at first with the instant throttle response and power of the GT.
                              Éireann go Bráth.

Offlinejohnray

« Reply #14 on: 2015-02-10 00:27:19 »
                                Thanks for the response.  I'm looking forward to enjoying the bike.

anything