Author Topic: Ultra seal  (Read 1816 times)

Offlinejohnray

Ultra seal
    « on: 2015-02-08 14:51:30 »
    Sorry if this question has been asked before but I'm about to take delivery of my Exclusive. I've used ultra seal tyre sealant in my motorcycle tyres in the past with great success (never had a puncture). Will the addition of ultra seal in the exclusive interfere with the tyr pressure monitor at all. Grateful for any opinions out there.
    R1100RT, R1150RT, HD Road King Classic, K1600 GTL Exclusive.

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Ultra seal
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-02-08 15:51:02 »
      Don't put anything in the tyres. Ultraseal will destroy the pressure sensors.  Carry a TipTop puncture repair kit, also available with a BMW part number from your dealer .   

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-08 16:22:27 »
        Agree with RTman, don't put anything in the tyre, it will destroy the pressure sensor and really annoys the guy fitting new tyres as it really messes up the wheel and has to be cleaned before fitting new runner. I would personally recommend the STOP 'N GO POCKET TYRE PLUGGER KIT, easily the best I've used.

1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

Offlinejohnray

« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-08 19:30:46 »
          Thanks guys. I'm glad I asked the question now.
          R1100RT, R1150RT, HD Road King Classic, K1600 GTL Exclusive.

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #4 on: 2015-02-09 10:30:10 »
            Have used the stuff in a couple of bikes with pressure sensors and they were not affected.
            I know someone else who used it in at least two bikes and it never affected the sensors.

However

It never stopped me having a puncture, small hole never sealed. (The tyre was suspect however, a PR3)

It does annoy the tyre fitter, saw an Austrian fitter get a bit grumpy as it sprayed around his workshop and oozed over his equipment, just glad it was not my bike  ;D  We did however do a test by drilling a small hole in the tyre just to see if it would seal, it never hence the spray ::)

Its in my current bike, will I use it again, depends on the test I do when tyre needs replaced but on evidence so far probably not
            how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #5 on: 2015-03-03 09:36:00 »
              Another point about using puncture sealants is the fact that if it works and seals a hole, you are now totally unaware of any damage to the tyre and would still be prepared to use all the power and speed of these bikes on what could potentially be a dangerous tyre.

I would rather know I have a problem with the tyres, no matter what the inconvenience, get them fixed 0r replaced as necessary, instead of gambling on some sealant to keep me safe.
              1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

Offlineochmaheed

« Reply #6 on: 2015-04-20 23:54:04 »
                New tyres required so did a wee test. I had put puncturesafe in 5700 miles ago.
                3 holes made all sealed when wheel rotated, you can hear the air escape then stop. All three holes seemed a little "wet" but no air escaping. Did not have time to take bike out for a run to test further. link to youtube video below

https://youtu.be/FS6_1lh88pQ

how much Mr BMW ?

OfflineThe Wolf

« Reply #7 on: 2015-04-21 14:54:54 »
                  I had Ultraseal in my tyres when I bought the bike last year. The previous owner had had it installed as they were doing a long distance trip, however what they also did was to remove the TPS out of each wheel. I promptly had that process reversed as I like the TPS system, it can be a life saver.

anything