Author Topic: Trunk latch broken  (Read 1239 times)

OfflineMeldon

Trunk latch broken
    « on: 2015-03-25 11:46:21 »
    Hi, looks like someone wanted to check what I have in my trunk and stole my sandwich. It's quite a pity since I was really hungry... but well, the fact is my latch is broken and BMW propose to sell me the total lower half of the top case for the small price of 600€ (plus the probable low cost of dismounting the old one and assembling all the pieces on the new one).
    I was really shocked since the broken part is really small and the latch itself is really easy to take apart. Anyone having an good idea is welcome !

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Trunk latch broken
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-03-25 12:48:51 »
      Welcome to the forum.
      Maybe you could find a top case that is damaged in an accident and get the latch from that one.
      My experience is that BMW doesn't sell this kind of small items separately. I had a small plastic piece in my BMW System 6 helmet that was broken of. The helmet was still in the warranty period. The piece was probably 10 cents worth. My dealer talked to BMW and they decided to give me a complete new helmet, a System 6 Evo. In this case I was surprised but didn't complain  ;D.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlineterry

« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-27 08:53:19 »
        If you know the footprint of an unbroken one why not get a local engineering company to make you one out of alluminium. Its got to be cheaper than BMW's offering.
        Past: Triumh Rocket tourer 2300. K1600 GTL blue. Present: Honda Pan European ST1300, K1600 GTL silver.

OfflineMeldon

« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-27 11:02:30 »
          Thanks for your answer. I found something interesting about molding my own piece (sorry it's in french).
          https://www.pobot.org/Moulage-de-pieces-mecaniques.html

I think I can put some epoxy on the broken part and try to mold a new one. PU should be strong enough to fit the role. :)

Offlineblokeonthemove

« Reply #4 on: 2015-04-04 14:03:45 »
            This sort of thing will be ideal for 3D printers, maybe I need one!

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2015-04-04 16:32:55 »
              I had my dentist let me purchase some impression material once and made an antique knob for a dresser.  I do think 3D printing is the way to go with this on but the local machine shop my be able to make stronger aluminum piece for $50 USD

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #6 on: 2015-04-04 16:35:28 »
                try this company, they deal in new and used BMW K-Bike parts.  If the part is not listed it does not necessarily mean they can not get it for you.  Just email them:  https://www.beemerboneyard.com/1sections.html

anything