Author Topic: Oil in Condensate Air Box  (Read 2132 times)

Offlinee7navy1999

Oil in Condensate Air Box
    « on: 2015-04-04 16:29:20 »
    Any one know how to handle this issue?:  I began by performing the BMW K16 religious oil checking ceremony to make certain the oil was between min/max marks on the dip stick.  Step #1 I drained the Condensate airbox completely 100% while the K16 was on her center stand on flat level pavement.  Step 2: I rode a short and enjoyable 180 US Miles and returned home.  On flat level pavement with center stand, I drained 160cc of oil from the airbox hose into a measured calibrated bottle.  I suspected something was going bad because for the past year my K16 begins to emit HEAVY smoke from the exhaust after 1000 to 1200 us Miles.  I have always found the airbox completely full of oil.  Any suggestions?  I have a BMW dealer appointment in two weeks.  My K16 is still under warranty. 2012, 25,000 US Miles

Offlineblkfalc4

Re: Oil in Condensate Air Box
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-04-08 15:09:31 »
      Doesn't sound good and you're not going to like what they tell you.
      I suspect cracked piston lands.

A couple of threads over on the K1600 forum right now on this same thing.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #2 on: 2015-04-09 00:57:03 »
        Thanks blkfalc4, I did a search and could not find the post you refered to.  Anyway my K16 has a full warranty so maybe get a new engine with a 2015 and the less clunky transmission.  Right now about every 150 miles I get 160cc of oil in the airbox.  I just keep and eye on the oil level and also make sure the condensate box does not fill up otherwise it is "smoky" time

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #3 on: 2015-04-13 20:45:19 »
          Hi Blkfalc,  The BMW mechanic has not torn down the engine yet but he was near certain it will be at least 1 cracked piston.  I should hear something by April 21st.  For all the other BMW K1600 owners, please check you condensate drain line often.  Anything more than 1-2 cc oil/water mix you may very well have a small crack forming in a piston/s.  Mine started very slow.  from 2102 to 2013 no oil use at all, 2013-2014 1 US quart per 6000 miles,  2014 to present 1-3 us quarts every 1000 miles as it got closer to April 2015. Just a few CC's over 1000 US Miles and growing over the past year to 150-180 cc in 150 US Miles.  I really babied my K16 and still love her.  Only full synthetic oil, Only BMW parts, filters, lubes,   It may just be a few bad parts, bad specs or materials or ....worse case: it could be a worldwide BMW cover-up of bad engineering.  Only time will tell

Offlineblkfalc4

« Reply #4 on: 2015-04-14 13:41:02 »
            I don't think it's bad engineering as there would be more bikes that were suspect to this happening.

I believe it is more that the 12's had some bad castings in the pistons.

As long as you're under warranty then BMW should get you fixed up.

Oh, it was KCMO Steve that ended up with the bad pistons as well on the k16forum.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2015-04-15 01:48:25 »
              Thanks for KCOM Steve tip.  I found it.  His K16 passed the compression and drop test.  They only found the cracked lands after total diss-assembly of the engine.  I printed his report and will let my BMW mechanic look it over

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #6 on: 2015-04-15 01:53:37 »
                I copied and pasted the KCMO Steve's post.  I hope he does not get upset coping his post. 

Thanks Rick for clearing up the terminology of what that particular area of the piston is called. I take full responsibility of calling it something incorrectly.
                 There was an ongoing thread that I started when I first started to notice something was not right with my engine. What it boils down to is there was some exploratory work done on my bike but there wasn't any substantial work done to my bike before the cracked pistons were found. The symptoms were smoke after some hard acceleration and on two different occasions, 10 to 12 ounces of oil retrieved from the condensate drain line along with lots of blow-by in the air box. Compression test and leak down tests were done and the engine passed those tests. Bore scoping found no unusual signs. BMW told the service department to tear the engine down after those results were found and that's when they found the cracked pistons. The pictures I posted weren't my bike but just another forum and of someone else's bike. I found that link by reading post #37 of this thread. At the same time I had my bike in for these problems, Vandaldog (Russ) had his bike in the same shop at the same time for the same reasons with the same results. I had about 32K miles on my bike when it started to act up and Russ had just had the 18K service done. I have seen other threads on here that talked of cracked pistons so mine isn't an isolated case by any means. The engine never sounded strange and ran smoothly even when it was poring smoke out the mufflers. Russ said the same thing.
                 I really don't mean to stir things up about the K1600 and it's pistons. There's too many K1600's out there that are running great. As Rick has mentioned and I agree, the reason for the cracked pistons seems to have no root cause but for the fact that they were faulty. I was told by the mechanic that worked on my bike that they aren't using a matched set of pistons from the same lot during initial assembly. He said the pistons are on a shelf and they basically grab 6 and install them in the engine. The symptoms are very obvious and if you don't have smoke after a good run up the RPM's and your condensate drain line is basically dry when you check it, your pistons have a very good chance of being just fine. It was an unfortunate situation but again, I was treated very well and all those involved did an excellent job of taking care of the problem.   __________________
                 '12    KGT Verthrillin' Red

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #7 on: 2017-05-15 15:07:02 »
                  I have over 35,000 us miles on the new engine since it was replaced.  Absolutely no oil in the airbox, engine does not burn a drop of oil between oil changes.  Bike runs like a fine tuned rocket. 

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #8 on: 2017-08-26 01:19:31 »
                    The new engine is still going strong.  No oil in condensate box.  Runs like a top. 

Offlinedjkennedy67

« Reply #9 on: 2017-09-14 15:19:07 »
                      Guys[/size]

Your opinions on a similar issue with my 2012 K1600GT with 11000 miles on the clock.

I was running really well since new till service about 1 month ago and now it has deposited half a pint of oil in the air box.

To complicate things I managed to fill the bike with Ultimate diesel 2 weeks ago. After draining and refill with unleaded it started to run well with significant blue smoke. I took it to the dealer for a flush, but on discovery of all the oil in the airbox they are going investigate a cracked piston.

Could the diesel mistake have caused the problem or just made it worse? It was ridden about 4 miles before the diesel ran through the lines and killed the engine.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #10 on: 2017-09-15 03:50:32 »
                        Honestly I am no expert but I do seriously doubt diesel  in the fuel would result in any cracked piston.  The diesel would immediately foul the injectors and the plugs.  Now if by chance you may have overfilled the oil crankcase without following the BMW owners guide on oil changes...thank may result in cracked lower piston and cracked rings.  If upon inspection the BMW dealer finds cracks in the tops of your pistons that might be a result of the diesel not compressing and burning off putting a strain on the piston tops.  I have know automobile owners to accidentally put diesel in their fuel tanks and the only "Bad" thing that happened was fouled fuel filter, fouled plugs.  I suspect the oil in the air box is from a lower cracked piston.  The only way I know to find this issue is to completely tear apart the engine to were the pistons are fully exposed

Offlinedjkennedy67

« Reply #11 on: 2017-09-17 01:03:49 »
                          Many thanks and my opinions are in line with your understanding.

The bike is currently being stripped down at my local dealer. It will be interesting to see what help they may give or not towards the cracked piston issue on 2012 bikes.

The bike has only done 11,000 since I bought it new and serviced at the same BMW dealer as per the schedule. I have never cracked a piston in all my years of biking and have owned up to 6 bikes at a time. Here’s hoping they do the right thing.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #12 on: 2017-09-18 00:37:31 »
                            Good Luck DJ.  Ever since I got my new short block mine k16 has been running like a top.  Not even a hint of any oil or water in my air box.  It does not use any detectable oil after every 5000mi oil change.  When I bought it it was 1yr used.  It used a little bit of oil 1/4 gallon after about 6 months and the oil use became dramatic after a year.  It began billowing massive white smoke out of the tail pipe is when i decide to bring her into the BMW dealer.  Up to that point BMW kept saying (on the phone) that oil use was perfectly normal.  When I brought her into the dealer I saw the technician drain out about 1/3-1/2 quart out of the air box drain line.  Initially the bike passed ALL the preliminary tests.  Compression was good, camera visual was good, drop test was good.  It was not until the engine was torn down...wow six cracked piston skirts and oil rings.  Pieces fell out of the cylinders.  Its amazing it passed all the first testings.  Performance wise it rode well except now that I have the new engine I can feel the acceleration difference.  The blown engine was a little sluggish in comparison.   The loss of power is so gradual over a period of months/years I think most riders do not even notice it.  My only clue was oil in the air box.  (I Think) When the air box fills up with the oil,  the oil sucks directly into the exhaust and becomes a billowing white cloud.  I hope they do the repairs under warranty.  They should in my mind as I was told that the 2012 might have had faulty material used in the pistons.  They were careful not to put any findings in writing of course

Offlinedjkennedy67

« Reply #13 on: 2017-09-18 13:26:12 »
                              I'm awaiting the results of the fault finding and hope as you say they repair anything that was originally defective materials.

The next week's negotiating could be interesting.

OfflineBacalao

« Reply #14 on: 2017-10-08 17:11:19 »
                                Unfortunately I have recently discovered the same issue, oil in the airbox on my 2011 K16 with 20k miles on it. It also seems to use rather a lot of oil, 700ml in 3000 miles.
                                As it is under BMW warranty it has been in to the dealer Bahnstormer in Alton who agreed there was oil in the airbox but said they didnt know if the oil consumption was excessive or not.
                                They filled the oil to max and told me to run it 1000 miles and return for it to be checked again.
                                They found it had used about 200ml over 1100 miles and once again there was oil, about a soup spoonful in the airbox.
                                Their response was basically we dont know so we will send our findings to BMW. I am still waiting, tbis was 2 weeks ago. I wonder if they are hoping I might go away.
                                Siempre en la mierda, sólo la profundidad que varía.

anything