Author Topic: Oil leakage at the final drive  (Read 961 times)

OfflineSurfMan

Oil leakage at the final drive
    « on: 2015-05-04 15:23:30 »
    My GTL has 88,000 kilometers on it and it has developed an oil leak at the final drive (cardan). Picture what to look for is below. I never noticed it because a) it's hidden below the panniers, and b) it resembles shadow, so you won't think any of it. By the looks of it, it has been there for a while. Dealer is taking care of it. You might want to take an extra look at your own bike now :)

Offlinee7navy1999

Re: Oil leakage at the final drive
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-05-05 00:41:17 »
      Not very good.  A seal is out somewhere.  It was not overfilled in the last year has it?  overfilling causes extreme pressure to build up and can blow a seal.  There is a gentleman on one of the GTL forums that rebuilds these differentials at a very reasonable price.  I will try to find the link.  There is also a youtube that is a very good source to rebuild your own.  Does not require a bunch of extra tools: dial indicator, caliper, heat gun and a regular household oven.  A rebuild can be performed in about 4 hours at home plus OEM parts

OfflineSurfMan

Re: Oil leakage at the final drive
        « Reply #2 on: 2015-05-05 11:33:06 »
        Thanks for the comment. Don't worry about the parts and the money. It's all covered by the company. Just wanted to let you know to keep an eye out for this, since it's hard to spot. As a non-bike-mechanic, I don't get down to those places you know :)

anything