Author Topic: What is the difference between US and Euro Spec K1600GTL?  (Read 1273 times)

OfflineTarkusNY

I'm thinking of touring Europe and am thinking of purchasing a GTL in Germany.   Can anyone advise me of the differences between the specifications of the US and Euro machines?   Obvious things like Speedometer are a given.  Are there any other differences?   Also should I wish to bring the bike back to the states, what is involved with getting is US Spec?

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      The only obvious signs of difference is the missing side reflectors on the forks and I think the panniers.  Obviously that's not a problem.  If the engine omissions are different you might find that a much bigger problem.    Haven't got a clue whom you could  ask except possibly your own registration authorities.

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        Apart from the obvious things already stated, the vapour/emissions canister in the fuel system. That is not present in the EU models and is mandatory (AFAIK) in the USA.
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineJim

Euro bike if new May have DRL fitted, a no go in US I believe.
          2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineCharlie747

• Charlie747
            Euro bike if new May have DRL fitted, a no go in US I believe.

From what I've seen and read on the ZG14 sites............Califonia has its own set of rules to the point that Kawasaki supply a U.S. Model GTR (Connie) and a Califonian version !

Would check your local state regulations regarding import vehicles before spending $$$$$

May be rent one of the tour ?

anything