Author Topic: 2 for the Road  (Read 1283 times)

OfflineGTL4ver

2 for the Road
    « on: 2015-05-12 21:54:17 »
    Any one have both a 1000rr and a K1600 and if so, which would you choose as your one and only?

OfflineWolfe Tone

• 2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
      Re: 2 for the Road
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-05-13 15:12:17 »
      I had an S1000RR - possibly the best ever supersports bike. It took that segment of the bike market by surprise and all other makers are still playing catch-up! I absolutely loved it - one of the few bikes that you actually get used to the minute you sit on it and take off.  Fantastic, smooth power, surprisingly comfortable and all the essential gadgets you'd need. But it's obviously not for carrying pillions! So when my missus decided she'd like to come on our group spins, I got a great deal on the K1600GTL Exclusive. The K1600 is probably the best touring bike on the market. Really comfortable, good wind-resistance, loads of power and every conceiveable gadget. Plus it looks fantastic !!
      So when you ask which bike I'd choose, there is no easy answer. Each bike is fantastic at what it was designed for but there are no similarities between the two. So it all depends on whether you ride alone or with a pillion..................................
      Éireann go Bráth.

OfflineJim

« Reply #2 on: 2015-05-13 16:24:39 »
        Got to agree with Wolfe Tone, having had and loved sport bikes most of my biking life my other half decided that she would quite like to see the world from the back of a bike. We toured for around a year on my GSXR1000 and enjoyed it but turned to sport tourers in the form of the FJR at first, this allowed me fun riding solo and two up along with comfort. My Exclusive to me is a large FJR with all the goodies and comfort. If you can get two or more bikes and you have the best of both worlds.
        2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineWolfe Tone

« Reply #3 on: 2015-05-13 17:20:54 »
          Hi Jim.  Sounds like we are both in the same boat!  But I had my fun for many years on the sportsbikes and thankfully I'm still here, relatively unscathed! But it may be just as well for both of us that the women have decided to join us as it means that you have to slow down a bit and be much more clued-in when riding with a pillion (braking, handling, balance etc. is totally different than riding solo).  That said, I am still enjoying my biking and now there's no pressure to get home at certain times etc.
          Sorry if I've gone a bit off the subject of the original post!!   
          Éireann go Bráth.

OfflineJim

« Reply #4 on: 2015-05-14 16:52:12 »
            Wolfe Tone, also have had many years of fun on my sports bikes & also like you am thankfull I'm still here. Also enjoy my biking now with the wife on the back but I still have my FJR & a little SV 650S Sport to play on should the urge take me, granted not the fastest bike in the world but with the suspension sorted is so much fun.
            So I suppose it all depends what you want to do with a bike as to what one you would have, when I go out now I very seldom do anything less that 300 mile, I make it a day out, 9 times out of 10 it's with the wife, also like to take off round Europe when we can , even made it to southern Turkey, so the big K suits us just fine.
            2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineWolfe Tone

« Reply #5 on: 2015-05-15 10:16:24 »
              I totally agree with Jim when he says "If you can get two or more bikes and you have the best of both worlds". I don't think there is one bike that will do everything. I wouldn't use the K1600GTL Exclusive to commute to work (in heavy traffic) for example so I also have a Kawasaki KLV1000.  If I was going for rideouts solo, (and I had the cash!),I'd probably also have an S1000RR. But we sometimes end up on bad, almost dirt roads, so an Adventure-type bike would also be good ........ ;)   And maybe a "winter hack" too......... :D:D
              Éireann go Bráth.