Author Topic: side case problem  (Read 1416 times)

OfflineGeebee

side case problem
    « on: 2015-05-28 07:54:14 »
    I have problems mounting the right pannier (and the left is showing symptoms as well). In fact, I'm now in a situation I can mount it but cannot secure it anymore (the handle stays up). My dealer was aware of a least one similar case and said it could be fixed easily as he suspect it's related to a worn element in the mechanism in the case. Now before having the dealer fix it, I was wondering if someone here has had a similar issue and whether actually it would be easy to fix by myself?
    Any thoughts?
    Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
      Re: side case problem
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-05-28 12:33:53 »
      No such problems here!
      How old is your bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Just enjoy it!

OfflineDaren

« Reply #2 on: 2015-05-28 14:09:35 »
        Mate who no longer has K6 had similar problem.

Solution was new habdle/locking mechanism if I remember correctly.

If it's in warranty I'd strongly consider getting it swapped and not attempt a DIY fix which may or may not void any subsequent warranty claims for said issue?

OfflineGeebee

« Reply #3 on: 2015-06-02 08:31:27 »
          Thanks for your comments. It's out of warranty and was one of the early bikes. Found similar issues on another forum so will bring the bike in. Indeed something to do with the mechanism, I suspect and not an unknown problem at my dealership either. Not a big issue either, assuming it will be repaired quickly.

Geebee - K1600GT

OfflineMichaelM

« Reply #4 on: 2015-06-02 15:55:09 »
            I had the same problem with the left side case (“pannier” in the UK) on my 2011 1600GT.  I could mount it but could not push the handle down to lock it to the bike.

My dealer said it needed a new mechanism which was going to cost me over £250 as it was not covered by the extended warranty.  However, just by chance I found that sometimes the handle would lock if I pushed on the back outer edge of the case towards the bike.  I then went on to find the cause of the problem.

When the case hooks over the two lugs on the bike, this pushes in small black tabs on the case which in turn allows metal rods to extend from the case through each lug.   They lock the case to the bike.  I found that due to very slight wear on the lower face of each lug the black tabs were not being pushed right in.   (I take my cases off each time I park up the bike at home so the mechanism is well used on my bike).

My solution was to stick a couple of layers of thick tape over the lower face of each lug whilst at the same time cutting out a hole for the rod to pass through.  This makes the case a tighter fit on the lugs and it has solved the problem for me.

If you look closely at the lower face of each lug you may be able to see where the black plastic tab has left a very slight indent on the lug.  The pieces of tape cover these indents.

I hope this cheap and simple trick will work for you.

OfflineJim

« Reply #5 on: 2016-02-29 18:05:34 »
              Just came stumbled on this post. Have had the same problem with my off side case, called the dealer and explained the problem. He advised that a new locking mechanism and handle was required. Ordered and fitted within two weeks. 2014 Exclusive with at the time around 4000 mile on the clock. To date have had the following carried out…waterpump replaced…l/h switch cluster replaced…pannier lock replaced and 3 or 4 software updates.
              2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineJim

« Reply #6 on: 2016-02-29 18:08:53 »
                Oh and a new brake master cylinder cap and seal, it was leaking.
                2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinecanazei1200

« Reply #7 on: 2016-03-01 11:00:28 »
                  Spray loads of wd40 or similar and work handle very gently using next to no force mine always goes when I do this its just a bit of a poor design.