Author Topic: Brake Fluid Reservoir Leaking  (Read 1607 times)

OfflineSimson

Brake Fluid Reservoir Leaking
    « on: 2015-05-28 14:15:16 »
    Hi Everyone

I have a 2012 K1600GT and have again noticed that the brake fluid reservior is leaking around the seal where the cap and the reservior join.  When I run my finger around the join, I can feel brake fluid on the cap and the outside of the reservior.  It's not like it's running down the side but when you run your finger around it, you can definately feel the brake fluid.  I have washed and wiped it down and after a few rides, it comes back.  This is not the first time that I have taken my bike back to BMW to have them fix it.  My uncle has a R1200RT and he seems to be having the same problem.  It only seems to be the brake reservior and not the clutch reservior.

Is anyone else having a similar issue?

Thanks
    Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter

OfflineJim

Re: Brake Fluid Reservoir Leaking
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-05-28 14:21:53 »
      Had the cap &a seal replaced on my 2011 GTLE & have just had the same done to my 2014 Exclusive. Some things never change.
      2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
        « Reply #2 on: 2015-05-28 15:37:44 »
        Never seen it before on my bike but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others.
        That said: I never had any of the faults that occasionally happen on a K1600 (switch clusters, cooling fluid, etc) until last weekend when I noticed the button to switch between RAIN - ROAD - DYNAMIC didn't work anymore. Perhaps the start of a right hand cluster failure?
        Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

OfflineSurfMan

« Reply #3 on: 2015-05-28 22:30:18 »
          It happened to me in the first year I had my bike. Get the cap replaced, it's faulty. Mine looked like this:

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2015-05-29 01:32:45 »
            The 2012 had a 3 year full parts and labor warranty.  Even if it is a little out I bet BMW honors it.  You need a new cap and seal

OfflineSimson

« Reply #5 on: 2015-05-29 08:02:25 »
              Wow Surfman that's pretty bad.  Mine is nothing like that but I guess after a while it could get like that if BMW won't fix it.

Thank you everyone for your posts.

Booked my bike in next week for them to have a look at it.  The guy was a bit funny at first, trying to say that they have just taken over the dealership, we do care but not our responsibility, etc but after I reminded him of his obligation under Australian Consumer Law ;D  He's now happy to try and fix it.

Those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter

OfflineJim

« Reply #6 on: 2015-05-29 08:27:27 »
                That picture was how the reservoir cap on my 2011 GTLE looked. It was acknowledged by BMW who issued dealers to replace the cap & seal at the first opportunity, my Exclusive cap showed no sign of damage like that, then the cap is chromed not painted
                2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineJP6SIX

• K1600GT since 17032012
                  « Reply #7 on: 2015-05-30 08:02:10 »
                  I had the cap replaced by the dealer. Under warranty. Same issue.