Author Topic: Decisions  (Read 2941 times)

OfflineVmo9

Decisions
    « on: 2015-01-09 02:58:43 »
    I'm looking to purchase a new BMW motorcycle and truly wrestling with which model to get. When I see one year old k1600GTL's for sale, questions come to mind - why! I've read clips where riders have traded in fairly new bikes for the R1200RT or the R1200GS Adventure and wrestle with the same question again - why. I've tested the K1600GT & GTL, the R1200RT and seem to enjoy the 1600 series more. Can anyone give me their opinions on this?

BTW, the number verification process needs improvement

OfflineRTman10

• GTL Exclusive (Exchanged for R1200RT LE)
      Re: Decisions
      « Reply #1 on: 2015-01-09 08:35:16 »
      2 or 6 only you can decide.  No engine can compete with the 16 thats for sure.  The equipment on both of them is practically identical ie they share the same luggage, audio equipment braking system  and switch gear. The main difference except for the engines are suspension and weight. In my humble opinion weather projection is better on the RT although many will disagree. All who have swapped seem to be more than happy, including  me. There is not even a huge difference in initial cost although I would expect running costs are going to be lower on the RT and fuel consumption is defiantly better. Have fun deciding.  You wont be disappointed with whichever one to pick.         

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
        « Reply #2 on: 2015-01-09 08:35:46 »
        My view: personal preferences. Some people like the K1600, but it's too heavy for them, they feel more confident with the handling of the RT, or they just like the design better. Some people just like to change every 1-2 years and test the newest models. If you want to go offroad, then a K1600 is probably not the first choice. There are many reasons why people switch.
        I traded my 2012 GTL last year for a 2014 Exclusive after 13'000km. I was very happy with the first one (best bike I ever had in 30 years) - but I better liked the gimmicks, color and gear box of the Exclusive - and I got a good price for the swap from the dealer. Without the Exclusive, I would still be riding the 2012 GTL today!
        If you can handle the K1600 and don't want to go offroad, I'm sure you will not regret it - the engine in combination with the rest of the bike is the best for sports touring on the market IMO.
        It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineWolfe Tone

• 2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
          « Reply #3 on: 2015-01-09 10:15:11 »
          I have had many bikes from Yamaha Thundercat 600 to Suzuki SV1000S to Honda Fireblade to KTM Supermoto to Honda VFR1200F to Kawasaki ZX6R etc etc. I switched to my first BMW - an S1000RR rocket! - 3 years ago and since then have had an R1200GS Adventure and now a K1600GTL Exclusive. As previous members have posted, there are many reasons why people change bikes. I loved the S1000RR (the best superbike ever IMO) but traded it in for the GSA after only 7 months as my wife decided she wanted to join me on Group rideouts!!  I liked the GSA but felt it was underpowered after riding sportsbikes (180 BHP+) for years (also the height factor made me feel nervous at slow speed and when manoeuvering).  I only had the GSA for about a year when my dealer offered me a great deal on the K16 GTL Exclusive.   It is probably the best looking bike on the road, one of the most comfortable for pillions, has every gadget imagineable, loads of luggage space, has great protection from the elements and the engine is incredible.  With the low seat, I don't have a problem with the weight of the bike. I honestly cannot find a fault with the K16 and would definitely recommend one way before an RT.
          Éireann go Bráth.

OfflineBob S

« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-09 15:49:46 »
            My solution was to buy the K1600GT and the water cooled R1200GSA  :D
            2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineWolfe Tone

• 2014 K1600 GTL Exclusive
              « Reply #5 on: 2015-01-10 18:04:12 »
              Great to have a choice of bikes okay! I have the K16 Exclusive for Group rideouts and also have a "little runaround" - a Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird  8)8)  The Honda is great for commuting.
              Éireann go Bráth.

OfflineBarnsyuk

« Reply #6 on: 2015-01-11 21:41:01 »
                I would have to agree with Bob S, my ideal stable would be the K16 and a GS. I have the K1600 but unfortunately it's in the shop waiting for panels so I have a GS loan bike at the moment. I love the GS for the ground clearance and suspension, just soaking up pot holes, laughing at gravel and it makes me ride like a hooligan  ;D which is fine for local riding and Sunday mornings. But for serious cross European mileage it has to be the silky smooth 6 cylinder, having run a K1600gtGTSE for the last two years I swapped it in for a new one. Now I just need to work out how I can add a GS to my garage when the K16 is returned.
                1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

OfflineBob S

« Reply #7 on: 2015-01-12 15:19:39 »
                  I would have to agree with Bob S, my ideal stable would be the K16 and a GS. I have the K1600 but unfortunately it's in the shop waiting for panels so I have a GS loan bike at the moment. I love the GS for the ground clearance and suspension, just soaking up pot holes, laughing at gravel and it makes me ride like a hooligan  ;D which is fine for local riding and Sunday mornings. But for serious cross European mileage it has to be the silky smooth 6 cylinder, having run a K1600gtGTSE for the last two years I swapped it in for a new one. Now I just need to work out how I can add a GS to my garage when the K16 is returned.

Where there's a will there's a way  :D
                  2012 K1600GT-SE

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
                    « Reply #8 on: 2015-01-12 15:51:55 »
                    Quote from: Bob S
                    Where there's a will there's a way  :D

My will is strong, but my wife is stronger...  :(
                    It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineMatthewFreedAudio

Decisions
                      « Reply #9 on: 2015-04-25 16:43:11 »
                      I have a 2013 K1600GTL for sale right now because I just bought a 2015 R1200GSA. Back when I bought my K1600 I thought I would be carrying a passenger more often. However, I found the R1200GSA simply better suited my needs for daily commuting and packing gear on.

I definitely wrestled with the decision because there are many, many things about the K1600 that I absolutely love. The power, handling, creature comforts, and overall performance are all top notch. It is a fantastic 2-up bike and fantastic for long-haul trip.

So, that being said, anyone want to buy a 2013 K1600GTL with only 9100 miles?

Production Sound Mixing for Television, Film, and Commercials.
                      www.matthewfreed.com
                      « Last Edit: 2015-05-01 21:37:16 by MatthewFreedAudio »

Offlinecanazei1200

« Reply #10 on: 2015-06-01 22:08:36 »
                        Got a 1600 after testing it and the RT. The RT felt like an underpowered slug after the 1600.
                        I came from a ducati multistrada gen 1 and a guzzi breva 1100 .I went from 2 bikes to one.
                        Doing lots of miles at the moment quite a lot of motorway.Needed something fast comfy that can take 2 up shaft drive and luggage k1600 just fitted the bill
                        Done 1100 miles in 2 weeks no regrets bikes just laughed at it.
                        Don't be put off by the size you can chuck it about looking forward to the TT and then a decent European tour in Sept.

Best of both worlds wife rides a 1200 gs.

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #11 on: 2015-06-03 01:33:47 »
                          I am all the way for a K1600GTL.  My advice is to try to avoid the 2012 as their may be some piston cracking issues.  If you are looking at a used model have the owner let you pull the plug on the condensate air box drain line.  If anything more than 1-2ml of oil drip out I would not buy it.  My 2012 just got out of the BMW shop after 6 weeks.  Six cracked pistons!  At least I have a new engine.  BMW claims they had bad pistons and another BMW tech said it was just the mid 2012 K16's with the trouble due to a bad batch of pistons.  Another BMW tech said they mad a design change to the pistons but I find that hard to believe...plus they furnished no proof...and way does it only affect mid 2012 years?  Anyway... I love my K16 and the horsepower and smoothness is unbeatable. 

OnlineT6pilot

« Reply #12 on: 2015-06-14 02:43:02 »
                            My 2012 GT late build has 21,000 miles no issues, switches recalled. Lots of tire changes though

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #13 on: 2015-06-14 03:11:13 »
                              I recommend you check the air box condensate hose.  If any more than a couple ML's flow out it could be bad news later.  Mine took 18 months before the signs of cracked pistons reared their ugly heads