Author Topic: Two Radio Antenna questions  (Read 881 times)

Offlineorgabeke

Two Radio Antenna questions
    « on: 2017-02-24 20:51:28 »

Hi,

As some of you might know, Norway are shutting down FM radio this year. That has made me look for DAB solutions and after reading this thread about DAB here I have an idea of what I would like to do, but I have a couple of questions regarding the radio antenna that I hope somebody knows.

- Do anyone know if the DAB frequencies are filtered out by the antenna?
    - What type of connectors does the antenna use? I understand there are different types of connectors.

Thanks in advance.

GB

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
    • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
      • Homepage
    Re: Two Radio Antenna questions
    « Reply #1 on: 2017-02-25 07:37:22 »
    Frequency's  used  for normal FM are 88-108MHz, but for DAB - it's 174-230MHz and 1452-1491 MHz

Therefor the antenna for normal FM is NOT suitable for DAB.

Normal connectors for DAB are SMB or SMA, but also other are in use out there
    ** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

Offlineorgabeke

« Reply #2 on: 2017-02-25 08:30:10 »
      Thanks for the reply, Steinar.

After reading about DAB my understanding is that there is a consensus that an DAB antenna is best, but that an FM antenna should work if the frequencies are not filtered out. I also got the impression that mounting position and angle of the antenna has a lot to say how well DAB signals are received. I´m willing to try to see if it is good enough for me, but if someone knows that the frequencies are filtered out there is no point in trying.

Do you know what connector the factory fitted antenna use? It´s been suggested to me that a product like this might work but I haven´t found any information as to what type of connector the antenna use.

I also have to state that I´m a very non-technical person and might be interpreting what I read about this topic to what I wish works and not what actually works.

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
        • Homepage
      « Reply #3 on: 2017-02-25 08:40:48 »
      There is no filtering in a normal antenna, but some active antennas has ha narrow filter inside.  (not many has)

I would not use money on any splitters/amplifiers like the one you have indicated.
      They also amplifies noice, and on a bike - no - I don't think you will be happy using it.

Then I would go for combi antenna for FM and DAB - with separate cables all the way from the antenna.

I'm using two antennas - one for FM . (Inside the top lid on the topbox) and the DAB antenne on the front of the bike - where the normal FM antenne suppose to be mounted.   BUT - there is a lot of electric noice on the bike - so the DAB receiver is not really working well. 
      Well, DAB is not really forking in the car eider - with a wherry good antenna mounted.

BMW cable
      https://bilradiospes.no/produkter/bilstereo/montering-tilbehor/antenner/plugger-adaptere/ct27aa06
      https://bilradiospes.no/produkter/bilstereo/montering-tilbehor/antenner/antennekabler/232403

Offlineorgabeke

« Reply #4 on: 2017-02-25 09:19:00 »

There is no filtering in a normal antenna, but some active antennas has ha narrow filter inside.  (not many has)

I would not use money on any splitters/amplifiers like the one you have indicated.
        They also amplifies noice, and on a bike - no - I don't think you will be happy using it.
        Thanks for this input. More noise is not wanted. 

Then I would go for combi antenna for FM and DAB - with separate cables all the way from the antenna.
        Yes, I´ve also looked at this. The reason I wanted to go for a splitter is that I think it would be easier for me to mount. Do you know if there are combi antennas that fit where the original antenna is without modification?

I'm using two antennas - one for FM . (Inside the top lid on the topbox) and the DAB antenne on the front of the bike - where the normal FM antenne suppose to be mounted.   BUT - there is a lot of electric noice on the bike - so the DAB receiver is not really working well. 
        Well, DAB is not really forking in the car eider - with a wherry good antenna mounted.

BMW cable
        https://bilradiospes.no/produkter/bilstereo/montering-tilbehor/antenner/plugger-adaptere/ct27aa06
        https://bilradiospes.no/produkter/bilstereo/montering-tilbehor/antenner/antennekabler/232403
        Do you have a suggestion where would be the best location for the DAB antenna?

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
          • Homepage
        « Reply #5 on: 2017-02-25 11:33:26 »
        Well - something like this : https://bilradiospes.no/produkter/bilstereo/montering-tilbehor/antenner/takantenne/3940.01-m-3m-kabler

And mounted where the normal FM antenna is located. In the beginning I had two antennas - one on each side of the front, but later on moved the FM into the top-box - like the 2017 K1600 has it. And the DAB antenna into the position of the original antenna on the front right.

NB!   Some modifikations are always needed  ;) 
        Be sure to get a real good ground to the base of the DAB antenna
        « Last Edit: 2017-02-25 11:34:57 by STeinar »

Offlineorgabeke

« Reply #6 on: 2017-02-25 12:10:14 »
          Thanks Steinar, I really appreciate your input. It looks like this might be a project for next winter.  :)