Author Topic: Hi, about to buy  (Read 773 times)

Offlinefreehold1965

Hi, about to buy
    « on: 2017-07-07 19:19:36 »
    Hi all
    Finally decided to give up my FJR and switch to K1600. My budget looks as though I could afford a 2012 GT SE and shopping starts tomorrow . Any tips on anything to definitely look out for?

One thing I'd be interested to know from owners is seat position/ height. I'm 6'2" with 33" seam - on the FJR I find the knee angle uncomfortable enough to get in the way after 90 mins or so. Any thoughts on the GT seat position?- adjustable height? replacement or custom seats? I'll be doing a lot of 2-up touring so any tips really appreciated.
    Cheers, Kev.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OfflineJim

Re: Hi, about to buy
      « Reply #1 on: 2017-07-07 19:40:00 »
      Hi and welcome. Also changed up from a FJR, (in fact had 2 of them) to A GTLE back in 2011 have since got myself a GTL exclusive in 2014 and love them. If as you say you are going to be 2 up a lot then that's what the GTL is made for. I am 6 feet tall and fit into the seat just fine plus get both feet flat on the ground when stopped. As far as things to look out for well their is a list but should all be sorted by BMW on a 2012 bike.
      2014 GTL Exclusive

Offlinefreehold1965

« Reply #2 on: 2017-07-07 20:12:33 »
        Cheers Jim, have a few versions to look at so will bear that in mind. Yeah, I would hope for no major issues given it's BMW! K

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
          « Reply #3 on: 2017-07-07 21:47:33 »
          Kev,
          Welcome to the forum.
          The seating position of the GT is higher than that of the GTL. Also you can put the seat of the GT in a higher position, about an inch.
          Best is to do a test ride and check whether the seat is in the high position.
          Also check whether all the prescribed services have been done by a dealer. That way you are certain your bike has the latest software updates.
          Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #4 on: 2017-07-10 14:15:27 »
            If I were to buy a used BMW GTL:  1. put her on the center stand.  Raise the front of the bike with a helper try to shake the front wheel and handlebar assembly to make sure the steering bushings are not worn  2.  pull the red cap plug out of the airbox condensate drain hose.  You should get no more then maybe a drop of oil/water mix.  3. Check all the electronics in particular the daisy wheel selector.  The daisy whee should be firm and not sloppy.  4.  Check maintenance records to see if valve inspection was performed...very expensive inspection unless you perform it yourself. 

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #5 on: 2017-07-10 14:18:46 »
              one more thing: check the bottom of the water pump.  should be no staining.  some of this years models had early on water pump leaks

Onlinekeith zx

« Reply #6 on: 2017-07-10 17:36:31 »

Hi all
                Finally decided to give up my FJR and switch to K1600. My budget looks as though I could afford a 2012 GT SE and shopping starts tomorrow . Any tips on anything to definitely look out for?

One thing I'd be interested to know from owners is seat position/ height. I'm 6'2" with 33" seam - on the FJR I find the knee angle uncomfortable enough to get in the way after 90 mins or so. Any thoughts on the GT seat position?- adjustable height? replacement or custom seats? I'll be doing a lot of 2-up touring so any tips really appreciated.
                Cheers, Kev.       hi I don't know were you are based , but I am selling my stunning gt sport December 2015 ,in the blue / black colours , it is mint
                                              not a mark any were on it, fully loaded , panniers are wrapped up and never been on the bike if interested message me               
                                   I haven't   seen a better one .