Author Topic: Leaving the Forum  (Read 917 times)

edinburghbiker, Dave Riley, steve.med and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

OfflineBarnsyuk

Leaving the Forum
    « on: 2017-05-26 14:51:36 »

Well after much deliberation and this being my second K16 I've decided to change it for something lighter. I will miss the silky smooth engine and strong acceleration, not matter what gear I'm in. I'll miss the keyless system and hill brake assist, I'll miss the way this bike just glides along cocooning me from the weather, no more radio, tps, electric screen, central locking and comprehensive on board computer (if a little baffling at times) I'll miss the startled look of sport bike riders when you blast past and leave them at the next bend, however I will not miss pushing it around or trying to pick it up if dropped, even tho improved I'll not miss the gearbox and sloppy drive shaft. Overall my experience with the big K was positive, even after all the warranty work for corrosion.

New horizons await me on my new steed, a light nimble, bloody fast S1000XR, I just have to remember it's not a K16 and stop comparing chalk and cheese....farewell fellow K16ers. 
    1941 Harley UL 1200 Flathead, 1978 Harley 1200 Shovelhead, K1600GTSE

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
      Re: Leaving the Forum
      « Reply #1 on: 2017-05-27 14:13:40 »
       I had an S1000XR last year as a loaner when my bike was in for service. I really liked it. As much power as the K1600 but 100 kilos lighter.
      Lots of fun with the new bike but you can still stay on this forum if you like.
      Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinejqworle

« Reply #2 on: 2017-05-27 18:05:43 »
        Thinking of going the S1000XR route myself.

Onlinesteve.med

« Reply #3 on: 2017-05-28 17:27:07 »
          will go the same route one day not yet
          enjoy and keep in touch
          let us know how  it goes
          and stay safe     

OfflineJim

« Reply #4 on: 2017-05-28 21:19:54 »
            Thought about it myself for a while. Didn't like the RT so looked at the S1000XR and GS adventure, neither were suitable (comfort wise) for pillion. That's when I stepped back and had a good hard look at what I have and thought "not going to get better even if a little heavy.
            2014 GTL Exclusive

OfflineDurango02

« Reply #5 on: 2017-07-27 15:01:26 »
              Funny. ..I went the other way...have a S1000XR and picked up a new K1600GTL this spring....love the XR can't stop grinning every time I ride it but for longer rides the K is the way to go IMO..either way you can't go wrong

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Offlinekeith zx

« Reply #6 on: 2017-07-27 20:22:29 »
                 I thought about doing the same wanting something lighter now, found it to be a bit too high for me and not enough weather protection, also was a bit concerned about the vibrations , so have definitely (this time ) ordered a new z 1000 sx .none to be had in the country yet  but it is on its way, never had any problems with my k 16 , best bike I have ever rode , didn't have any problems with sloppy shaft or gearbox , once you get used to it , so the sx , 100 kgs lighter an awful lot cheaper ,I will report on my on the sx when it comes .

OfflineDurango02

« Reply #7 on:Yesterday at 16:20 »
                  Best of luck with the S1000XR....still have my 2016 and love it, just seem to part with it. Got the new 2018 k1600gtl and I'm loving it also....oh the problems of being spoiled rotten.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

anything