Author Topic: CANBUS system + bike tracker  (Read 3142 times)

OnlineVic

CANBUS system + bike tracker
    « on: 2011-05-30 00:03:12 »

Would CANBUS system have problems by the fitting of one of these bike trackers https://www.roadangelgroup.com/biketrac.aspx

From what I've read they need just 3 wires connecting - negative, positive and ignition connections.  This would not be a problem on other bikes but I do not know anything about BMW CANBUS system.

Also, has anyone here ever used one of these GPS bike tracking systems?  I like the way they can also recall routes taken and show speed at various points etc, which can be viewed over internet portal and saved if required.

Vic
    ---

OnlineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
    • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
      • Homepage
    Re: CANBUS system + bike tracker
    « Reply #1 on: 2011-05-30 07:58:09 »
    I have something similar on my bike !

The connectors for external power outlet  will be switched. 
    They switch on when the bike is in run mode.    And , they switch off 60 seconds - after you switch off the bike.
    I'm using this cable to feed switched power to the unit, and a wire directly from the battery to fed constant 12V.

Works - perfect !

STeinar
    ** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

OnlineVic

« Reply #2 on: 2011-05-30 23:48:29 »
      Steinar, do you mean you have a plug inserted into the accessory socket with a cable going to the tracker unit fitted on the bike?  I didn't want to see any external cable, I prefer wiring to be hidden. 

Do you know if there is anywhere nearer to battery that provides switched power from ignition switch?

I am not sure how much room is left under seat or in the tail piece, when I asked the dealer he told me there is very little room to fit anything under there.  Do you have a diagram or a picture showing your additions. 

What make of tracker do you use and how does it compare to the one I have mentioned?  I've never used one before, but they seem useful. Although I always thought GPS trackers had to be fitted so that the internal antenna could see the sky, with nothing blocking their view of sky.   

Vic
      ---

OnlineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
        • Homepage
      « Reply #3 on: 2011-05-31 11:33:21 »
      I ordered a spare power connector - and it includes a Y kind of cable. Then I mounted this cable into the rear power socket.
      Located under the battery.
      From this cable i then have switched 12V.
      Nothing is visible at all for the switched 12V. Only the new cable from the positive terminal on the battery is visible !

My is a no-brand one, and only issue is that the internal battery only lasts for 12/18 hours.
      It then switches off.  When the bike is power up, it starts to charge the internal battery of the unit, but it dos NOT automatically switch on the unit - after the power is back.

OnlineVic

« Reply #4 on: 2011-06-01 12:52:52 »
        I ordered a spare power connector - and it includes a Y kind of cable. Then I mounted this cable into the rear power socket. Located under the battery. From this cable i then have switched 12V.

Ok Steinar, I think I understand.. So there is another power socket (same as the right side fairing one) which is hidden under the battery. This power socket is switched and operates exactly like the socket in the right side fairing. 

You removed the battery, gained access to the socket, unplugged the feed wire from the socket, then plugged in the Y cable which came with the correct connectors on each end, then plugged one end of the Y piece back onto the rear socket, leaving you with an additional switched power source to use.  You then replaced the battery to hide the original rear power socket again.  You then cut the plug off the cable, discard the earthed wire (or do you splice it into the other earthed feed wire from the battery to the tracker?) and connect just the switched/live/positive wire direct to the tracker to switch it on/off with the bikes ignition.

Do you know why the rear power socket is hidden out of view under the battery?  Surely if this was visible and easily accessible people could make use of it for heated clothing etc?  It seems a very strange place to put a power socket!

I've heard BMW bikes are very fussy about their CANBUS electrical system... Does unplugging/removing the battery not cause any problems with the electrical system, does anything have to be reset?

Is the Y piece of cable a BMW part?  If it is, do you have a part number?  If it's not a BMW part, do you know of a European or UK source for the Y piece of cable?  Where did you order from?  I think I've found the cable you mean from a supplier located in USA.  See this link.. https://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=61809 is that the one?

Thanks, Vic
        ---

OnlineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
          • Homepage
        « Reply #5 on: 2011-06-01 13:17:17 »
        Yep - you are correct in most.
        The connector is not hidden, but hard to find  ;)
        Looking into the right side between the rider and pillion position - you will find it !

You don't need to take out the battery, but two screw holding the fuse block - just in front of the battery!

I wired +12V switched and ground from this Y cable, and only direct un-swiched 12V from the battery.

Part number is: 61127698475

OnlineVic

« Reply #6 on: 2011-06-02 16:19:21 »
          Thanks for the clarification and the picture Steinar, I understand now.

You say you used both the +12V and -12V from the switched feed and a perm live to the tracker unit.  This is probably the reason why your internal battery is not retaining it's charge for more than 12/18 hours, because it is only receiving ground when ignition is switched on and the charger cannot function without ground.

This is why I must have permanent +12V/-12V from battery to keep unit charged and functioning, in addition to a switched source to tell the tracker to automatically switch on/off for the authorised key holder. 

Possibly you have wired it this way so as not to drain the battery?  This is one of the questions I was going to ask you, do you think having a perm live connection this way will cause problems with CANBUS system, or with the BMW bike alarm?

Also, one more thing.. what amperage is the rear auxiliary socket that you tapped into rated/fused at?

Vic
          ---

OnlineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
            • Homepage
          « Reply #7 on: 2011-06-02 17:54:04 »
          Yes - charging the internal battery will drain the bike's battery pretty fast. 2-3 days ?

No harm to the bikes system, but irritating that the bike will not start  ;)

I "think" the whole load from both the power connectors is 7 or 10 Amps.
          STeinar

OnlineVic

« Reply #8 on: 2011-06-02 20:35:25 »
            Yes - charging the internal battery will drain the bike's battery pretty fast. 2-3 days ?
            No harm to the bikes system, but irritating that the bike will not start  ;)

I agree it is rather irritating when that happens  :) but I never thought the battery would drain so fast though. 

Do you know how many Amps the K1600 battery is? 

According to the user manual for the tracker, it comes with an internal 1100mAh battery (5 to 8 milliamp draw).  I assume by draw it means how much it is taking from the bike battery whilst in standby mode when the bike is parked.  If this is the case, 5 to 8mA is not a lot, so surely the bike battery would handle that.. What do you think? 

The only other thing that could draw power whilst the bike is parked would be the BMW alarm system.. Do you know what current the alarm draws?

I don't think the zumo sat-nav navIV draws anything when the bike is parked, although I could be wrong as it does have it's own built-in battery. 

Vic
            ---

anything