Author Topic: Oil Levels  (Read 632 times)

Offlinebirkco

Oil Levels
    « on: 2018-03-30 11:24:49 »
    Really weird!!

What an I doing wrong?? K1600GT 2012 40T Kms.

It seems everytime I check oil level with dip stick the level changes dramatically!!

I put the bike on centre stand, wait for engine to cool down (or first thing) check level.
    I have had readings of - bottom level, then correct level between marks, then oil at hight level??
    At all times the oil level indicator on dash reads OK but sometimes takes a little longer to indicate.

Any ideas/Assistance.

Zimbabwe

OfflineDave W

Re: Oil Levels
      « Reply #1 on: 2018-03-30 12:04:40 »
      Checking the oil level is a real faff on the 16. What I have been told that with the bike on the stand and it cold, you should just see the oil at the bottom of the filler neck. Also, the warning light is for low oil, so assuming that does not light up, you are ok.

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #2 on: 2018-03-30 20:41:14 »
        this is the correct way
         put the bike on centre stand
        and run the engine till the cooling fan comes on
        the turn the bike off then check the oil level
        this is the correct way to check
        if you don't you might over fill   
        I hope this helps I don't  know who told you but put them right

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #3 on: 2018-03-30 22:41:40 »
          On center stand and level ground: Run engine until fan comes on, turn off engine. let sit for 1 minute, check oil without screwing in dip stick. 

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
            « Reply #4 on: 2018-03-30 23:14:36 »
            e7navy1999 is correct.
            Just read the manual.
            Some seem to think that reading a manual is not 'manly' but this bike is something different than anything you've ever had.
            So if you want the bike to last and make use of all the bells and whistles the bike has to offer, you better read the manual.
            Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinebirkco

« Reply #5 on: 2018-04-06 13:57:51 »
              FP-NLD - Not a truer word has been said .......... but in Zimbabwe hard to get the manual I have ordered one from marksmotorcycleparts in UK but not sure whether it will make it through Zim Post/Customs!!!!!!

I only know of two K1600Gt and GTL in Zimbabwe and we are both looking  ::)

Any way thank you so much those who took the time - much appreciated.

Quick one does she have a fuel filter ?? the fuel in Zim is erratic at best.

She is a really lovely bike.

Cheers
              Bill

OfflineFP-NLD

• Global Moderator
                « Reply #6 on: 2018-04-06 17:44:53 »
                You can just download the rider manuals from the official BMW website.
                Frank (NLD),             BMW K1600 GT Red (2011); top case w/brakelight, comfort package, safety package, F2P, black Wunderlich bars, PDM60, Autocom SPA  |  Other bike: Moto Guzzi V7 850 California (1975)

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #7 on: 2018-04-08 17:38:07 »
                  hey Birkco.  here is a link to the k16 service manual: /index.php/topic,62.msg228.html#msg228

anything