Author Topic: GEARBOX PROBLEM  (Read 438 times)

Onlinekeith zx

GEARBOX PROBLEM
    « on: 2018-07-13 20:22:04 »
     looking for some advice / help , I sold my 2015 1600 gt , the person I sold it to is at present is in the mountain areas of Italy, just reported that the bike wont go into first or second gears , don't know exactly but would think the bike has covered around 6500 miles from new . anyone have any ideas , as he let the warranty run out . thanks 

Offlinesteve.med

Re: GEARBOX PROBLEM
      « Reply #1 on: 2018-07-14 11:42:16 »
      hi Keith
      the 1st mistake he made was letting the warranty  run out
      by what you say he has overloaded the 1st motion shaft buy puling away in the wrong gear
      dose the bike ride OK in the other gears OK
      if that the case he can get it back to the UK
      a good used gear box is the best you can hope for
      James Sherlock brake k1600 a lot and its good stuff
      just got my 6th k1600gt with pro-shift works a treat     

Onlinekeith zx

« Reply #2 on: 2018-07-17 16:20:47 »
        yes he should have kept up his warranty, but even so a decemeber 2015 bike with very low mileage should not have a knackered gearbox, I sold it in august 2017 , the bike was garaged and not used till around may this year with a quick tour of Scotland , it then went on this trip to Italy were it has broken down ,it is now getting trailered back to the uk , and my mate is flying home , cost for a new gearbox just under £3.000.  this should not be happening to a top marque motorcycle !!!!! 

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #3 on: 2018-07-24 20:05:22 »
          well
          i have some news i picked up my new bike on the 12th July for a trip away to south of France
          was having the 1st service done in Lyon this Saturday morning 700 miles asked them to check the gear change
          as it seamed a bit stiff on the up change with the pro select told me it was fine went back to hotel put the luggage back on and of i went 30 miles later from 5th to 6th a big bang NO GEARS
          i did manage with some kicking and pulling to get all but 5th
          but taken it slowly and shifting 4th to 6th this happens 3 times
          but it has got me back to day to the UK bike is now at BMW i will let you know what thay fined 
          not happy but i think the selector is lose
          on one outer point  it might be worth him trying for a good will from BMW as long as he has kept up the BMW service  ?????????????

Onlinekeith zx

« Reply #4 on: 2018-07-25 15:29:58 »
            hi steve thanks for sharing that information with us , don't exactly know what he is going to do with the bike , think it maybe repaired then be sold  i had no problems with bike, liked it a lot just the weight issue for me, if bmw were any kind of decent company with the low mileage think they should at least pay towards the costs, sorry to hear you had another issue , to be honest if I had had two brand new bikes and were both faulty I would be telling them to stick the  bike and get a full refund. it seems to me now that even after all the time the k 1600 has been out on production they are still not a reliable motorcycle , too many faults seem to be being reported , don't think I will ever have another bmw bike !!!! I have had numerous Kawasaki's never had a breakdown, never had one fail to start never even had a puncture !! bmw should be held accountable for the major breakdowns that seem to be reoccurring , they have the nerve to charge high prices for there products , and I now believe that bikes are leaving the factory not fit for purpose. if I had a new bike that had a major failure I would not want it back I would have lost all faith in it ,good job you were not heading into a sharp bend with a bit pace and you lost your gears .

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #5 on: 2018-07-26 10:11:13 »
              hi Keith
              BMW say its the selector fork the pin did not locate correctly
              when i got the 1st bike i told them if it had more than 3 faults in the 1st 3 month
              i will have a full refund 
              so i will give them the chances
              i have spoken to BMW UK  and got a good will from them
              and BMW France will be doing the same as the dealer did not road test the bike as requested by me
              let me know how yours go with the repair  >:( [size=78%]      [/size]