Author Topic: DAB radio for the BMW K1600  (Read 4455 times)

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
  • Blue R1200RT lc (AKE_Intercom)
    • Homepage
DAB radio for the BMW K1600
« on: 2014-02-23 16:59:19 »

Not everyone knows that it's possible to have DAB radio fully integrated into  the K1600, and continue to use the handlebar for switching chanels etc - as before

The Dension DAB+U adapter is connecting to the K1600 radio - as a USB memory pin - and you change radios stations as you would change music tracks from the interface on the K1600 radio display.

From Dension website:

"The DAB, DAB+, and DMB-R stations appear on the device as virtual mp3 files, thus the reason for easy operation and wide compatibility. Since the buffer size may be different in each playback device (head unit) the DAB+U has an 'Automatic Buffer Size Assessment'(ABSA) function."
Mounting the unit under the seat and using a DAB radio antenna INSIDE the topbox - well - there it is :-)

STeinar
** Wired and Bluetooth intercom from shop.ake-electronic.com **

OfflineDJS

• K1600GTLE-Magnesium Beige & comfort pack & Nav IV
    Re: DAB radio for the BMW K1600
    « Reply #1 on: 2014-02-23 17:36:01 »
    Has anyone tried this yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just enjoy it!

Offlinewarbill

« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-23 22:15:45 »
      Sounds interesting. I guess this would fit into the R/H fairing pocket with, or instead of, the ipod?

Offlineblokeonthemove

« Reply #3 on: 2014-03-14 15:12:36 »
        Well I've fitted the Dension DAB module. It fits in the right hand storage box and gets it's power from the USB socket. Its male to male USB lead is far too long, may have to get a shorter one from ebay. The aerial I have mounted, Stuck, on the inside of the windscreen. I have found that it does not get as many stations as other DAB setups I have, I only want Planet Rock and it can't find that at home. I'll try a rescan when I'm away from the house maybe nearer to the DAB transmitter. I keep chasing the Holy grail of a good DAB signal, which is never great in my area. I thought they were going to increase it's power after the digital TV switchover, sadly nothing yet.

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
          • Homepage
        « Reply #4 on: 2014-03-14 15:22:18 »
         There is one weary important thing to have in mind !!
        There are to mush electronic noise in the front of the bike.

It’s specially coming from the regulators for all the LED lights.

That is also the reason BMW have moved the antenna into the top box on the new bike.
        I have also mounted the antenna for the regular FM radio into the top box – of the same reason.
        The only possible solution I have found so far is to mount the DAB receiver under the seat, and have the antenna inside the top box as well.
        Will make a new mount on another bike this weekend – and will take some photos.

STeinar

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
          « Reply #5 on: 2014-03-14 15:47:04 »
          I was looking for a DAB solution for some time. This sounds like an interesting solution. Appreciate any input how to install and how it works. Thanks!
          It doesn't have to make sense. It's ok if it's just fun :-)

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
            « Reply #6 on: 2014-05-12 17:54:40 »
            Hi STeinar,
            any news on this topic?
            Thanks!

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
              • Homepage
            « Reply #7 on: 2014-05-13 09:53:11 »
            Well - have now mounted this on two K1600, but the result is not fantastic

The problem is that the bike is producing quite a bit of electronic noisy - and the DAB radio doesn't like that.

I have now tested with 3 different antennas - mounted everywhere on the bike, but the range is to small.

The sound and the functionality is superb - but it fades out to fast.
            In Norway - we have hills and mountans everywhere - so just a little bit outside the city center - there is no signals.

I will still work to find a better antenna - so I'm not giving up - but will continue later on.

OfflineHDBeemer

• K1600 Exclusive
              « Reply #8 on: 2014-05-13 13:01:34 »
              OK, thanks for the update. Keep us posted about your progress. I'm also looking around for different options, but wasn't successful finding a satisfying solution either.

Offlinebeemerboy9

« Reply #9 on: 2016-03-21 11:49:57 »
                On my 1200RT LC I have the DAB aerial mounted on the backrest cushion on the lid of the topbox, well away from possible interference from the FM aerial. I have made a ground plane for the aerial by placing 3 layers of aluminium kitchen foil underneath the horizontal part of the backrest (so totally hidden from view). The Dension DAB+U is velcro'd to the back of the instrument panel - hopefully shielded from water spray. [/size]

Reception has improved significantly. If this had not worked, I would have tried painting the backrest with black conductive paint.

I hope this helps someone .....

John

OfflineSTeinar

• Global Moderator
                  • Homepage
                « Reply #10 on: 2016-03-21 11:56:16 »
                On my 1200RT LC I have the DAB aerial mounted on the backrest cushion on the lid of the topbox, well away from possible interference from the FM aerial. I have made a ground plane for the aerial by placing 3 layers of aluminium kitchen foil underneath the horizontal part of the backrest (so totally hidden from view). The Dension DAB+U is velcro'd to the back of the instrument panel - hopefully shielded from water spray. [/size]

Reception has improved significantly. If this had not worked, I would have tried painting the backrest with black conductive paint.

I hope this helps someone .....

John

Could you make a photo from this, and what sort of antenna do you use ?
                I have tried several, but not happy with any of them.

And the antenna cable in your setup is now rather long ? - have you tried to mount the antenna on the wind-screen ?   (If its a tape type)

STeinar

Offlinebeemerboy9

« Reply #11 on: 2016-03-21 15:59:37 »
                  I used this aerial on the backrest part of the top-box, secured with 3M Dual-lock. The cable run is long but does not seem to cause a problem. The kitchen foil is hidden underneath the horizontal part of the backrest and extends downwards a little way for good measure.

I tried an expensive amplified tape aerial on the screen without any success, then I tried the current aerial on the LHS wing mirror, also without success. That is when a friend suggested placing the lid of a metal biscuit tin below the aerial to act as a ground-plane and...Eureka!

As DAB is broadcast at low power here in the UK, a good ground-plane reference is important for decent reception.
                  « Last Edit: 2016-03-22 11:06:06 by beemerboy9 »