Author Topic: Oil in Condensate Air Box  (Read 2938 times)

Offlinesteve.med

Re: Oil in Condensate Air Box
    « Reply #15 on: 2017-10-09 01:03:59 »
    I have dealt with them before
    I have a service done with them
    I nearly crashed  in France when they did not tighten the sump bung 
    I was running on oil
    may I Suggest you contact bmw at Brighton
    how long have you had the bike
    and what dealer did you get the bike from ? 

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #16 on: 2017-10-09 01:20:45 »
      good luck, I hope for the best.  my new engine has 35,000+ Us Miles on her and she runs perfect.  No oil use at all between 5000 oil changes.  NONE.  Not even a drop in the condensate drain line. 

Offlinedjkennedy67

« Reply #17 on: 2017-10-19 07:58:04 »
        Mine is also sitting in Bahnstormers in Alton awaiting it’s strip down next week.
        « Last Edit: 2017-10-19 07:59:49 by djkennedy67 »

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #18 on: 2017-10-20 01:05:21 »
          pls let us know how it goes.  Is yours a mid 2012?  I hope BMW covers it under warranty.  I asked for a whole new engine but they settled on a short block.  My argument was fine metal shavings could have made it into the gear box and catalytic convertor. 

OfflineBacalao

« Reply #19 on: 2017-10-20 11:12:14 »
            Mine is a 2011 so one of the early ones. I emailed them yesterday and not had a reply...not impressed. So now a phone call.
            Siempre en la mierda, sólo la profundidad que varía.

OfflineBacalao

« Reply #20 on: 2017-10-20 17:34:00 »
              I have now spoken to Bahnstormer and they have told me they will let me know what course of action they will be taking early next week. They did apologise for not acknowledging my email yesterday though.
              Does anyone know if the engine has to be run in again if they do a short engine change and if so for how many miles?

OfflineBacalao

« Reply #21 on: 2017-10-21 18:45:55 »
                Well it seems that at this stage BMW are not going to take any further action as in their opinion the oil consumption and what they deem to be such a small quantity of oil in the airbox is not a problem and is not indicative of cracked pistons.
                As the bike is to be serviced on 8th December prior to a trip to Spain which will cover 3500 to 4000 miles then it will be interesting to see what happens next.
                Maybe I should sell it and get a R1200RT instead??

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #22 on: 2017-10-22 16:51:03 »
                  I would contact bmw customer service direct
                  my bike and I have had 5 ki16 so far use no oil what so ever
                  barnstormer's do not like doing big jobs and do not like putting claims in
                  they only get a low rate for warrantee work so they have to do the job at a los 
                  you can phone me if you would like more info 07706910200 Steve

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #23 on: 2017-10-22 17:09:05 »
                    Hey Bacalao, I agree with Steve.  You need to try a larger dealership that has the talent to do the job correctly.  Your k16 should not be dumping oil into the airbox.  The oil use just keeps getting worse and worse.  Eventually the oil will get picked up and smoke out of the exhaust.  Maybe a good video of the white smoke or just sit in front of the repair shop for a few days blowing white smoke would change their mind....sales pressure!  Good Luck. 

OfflineBacalao

« Reply #24 on: 2017-10-22 19:31:05 »
                      Unfortunately work commitments until the 1st week in December mean I will now be working in europe until then. The bike is booked into Bahnstormers for a service on the 8th December and a couple of days later it is going to southern Spain taking me and my wife.
                      I think at this stage I will let Bahnstormer dig their own hole, they have said in writing that they dont think there is a problem and will also be servicing the bike shortly too. So if and more likely when this develops into what we all suspect then it is entirely their problem. I am at the end of the day not an engineer nor mechanic and have to rely on the expertise of  them. I have fulfilled my responsibilites as far as the warranty goes. I will copy their email in the next post so you will understand my point.

OfflineBacalao

« Reply #25 on: 2017-10-22 19:34:08 »

Morning Mark,
                         [/font]
                        Sorry if you didn’t get any feedback from me after your last visit, I did try and call around a week after you were in.[/font]
                         [/font]
                        BMW have said that they are happy with only 200ml of oil usage in 1000miles and the fact that only a dribble of oil was present at the air box drain.[/font]
                         [/font]
                        If the bike was suffering with cracked pistons then from past experience we would expect that most the lost oil would appear in the airbox and normally a lot of it, you’d also see a lot of smoke from the exhaust.[/font]
                         [/font]
                        Hope that explains things?[/font]
                         [/font]
                        Kind regards[/font]
                         [/font] [/font][/size]
                        Bahnstormer Motorrad[/font][/size]
                        Jody Wood[/b][/font][/size]
                        Service Manager[/font][/size]

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #26 on: 2017-10-31 22:40:40 »
                          This from my April 2015 post:  "Just a few CC's over 1000 US Miles and growing over the past year to 150-180 cc in 150 US Miles. "   It starts out slow but once it gets to a certain point in times and severity I was going through 1 US Quart in 150 miles.  If I did not keep the Condensate line drained I would get the infamous billowing white smoke from the exhaust.   My new engine uses ZERO oil so I do not agree with the "200ml of oil usage in 1000miles".  My dealer tried to tell me that same line of bull back in 2013/14.  BMW's should not burn oil...it just does not live up to their German Precision Engineering advertisements.  I bought my BMW thinking it would be my last bike before I die off...indestructible.  I had always put BMW up on a scale even with Toyota and Honda....Now I think BMW is more like an AMC Harley...you know the ones found often on the side of the highways.  lol.  With my new engine I am very happy.  I think I will keep her.  I do worry about the daisy wheel as it was change out twice under warranty.  I hope I got a good one this time.  Good Luck to you Bacalao .  Maybe better think about a Goldwing?  If they were not so darn heavy I would have bought one 

Offlinedjkennedy67

« Reply #27 on: 2017-11-10 12:51:03 »
                            Update from my 2012 K1600 is that it has 5 cracked or damaged pistons and will require a short motor. For an engine that has only done 11,000 miles, since I bought it new, I think this is poor show from BMW.

BMW have offered an 80% contribution on parts, but this still means I need to pay £2106 to rectify a BMW known piston issue.

BMW customer services were not interested and stated they cannot change the offer on parts or any other part of the deal.

Looks like I am stuck with getting it fixed, but it will be the last BMW I ever buy.
                            « Last Edit: 2017-11-10 18:33:25 by djkennedy67 »

Offlinesteve.med

« Reply #28 on: 2017-11-11 00:24:39 »
                              did you have a bmw extended warrantee  and full service history 

Offlinee7navy1999

« Reply #29 on: 2017-11-11 01:14:35 »
                                Hey DJ, Sorry to hear about the pistons.  I doubt I will even buy another BMW myself as well.  I do like my K16, actually like it a lot.... but just do not trust it like i would a Goldwing.  I keep thinking in the back of my mind while on the desert highways "is my daisy wheel going to poop out? is a coil going to fry? is my water pump going to give it up? is that clunky tranny going to finally do a final clunk?"  The darn Goldwings are just so freaking heavy and a beast to maneuver in a small garage.  The K16 is quick and nimble, fast as hell and sounds like a well tuned Ferrari.  Good Luck to you.  Maybe try more social media to get BMW warranty eyes to pop a little? An ad in a local news paper?  You tube video?  It is very obvious that BMW knows there is a piston issue in some 2012's...they just are not being what BMW us to mean for all of us...they are more like Volkswagen now.